• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Build for Charity?

What style of NSX to build?

• Buy "beater" car, & put a lot of mods on it.

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Buy "cleaner" car, & put fewer mods (more classy & tasteful)

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
The international company that I work for is planning to start a build project of an early model NSX (with pop-up headlights) that will be featured in numerous automotive industry press and marketing activities. At the end of the documented build process the car will be auctioned off for charity.

I am wondering if you guys think it would be better to try and source a "beater" NSX and build it up with more modifications, or buy a relatively clean NSX and keep the modifications more classy and understated?

My company's tech team is shopping for one right now, so please PM me if you have one to sell :biggrin:

Take advantage of the collector car market which puts a premium on originality.

I voted "other" and what I have in mind is a 1991 (year one, right?) with a full mechanical and bare-metal cosmetic restoration to like-new condition by a widely known company like SOS or by a team of automotive professionals (paint, body, mechanical, etc) who share an interest in NSXs and/or Japanese classics. If the paint is good enough you might consider just a detailing of the exterior. Then the multi-stage paint can be preserved. The biggest challenge could be the interior, reproducing the finish of the leather when new. This is what you see in ads for other auctions and raffles of classics for charity. Only hitch might be that the cost of the restoration would equal or exceed what it would go for at auction. This risk could be minimized with parts and labor donations. I would think such a car could easily top the 100K mark at the right auction.

For max profit, I would go with something like option 1 if you could get most of the parts and work donated.

Here are lots of details on a similar project on an MG, done for charity.
http://www.hemmings.com/articles/project.html

Last edited:
I think a cleaner 91-93 car with a base CT Engineering Supercharger, updated ABS system, maybe an NSX-R wing and some nice wheels and StopTech brakes for the exterior. Plus a nice modern head unit with some upgraded speakers for the interior would sell nicely plus wouldn't need a lot of donated or in-kind stuff to drive up the expenses without the return on everyone's investment.

All great input so far! Thanks for the link on the MG... I've actually been thinking of buying one for myself just for fun!

We do have one limitation since our company HQ is in CA, so the only real power option is a CARB exempt CTSC. We'll have to see if sourcing a discounted or used unit is possible in our overall budget.

knowing you budget would really help...

I wish I could share that, but since the only reason I'm involved in this company "build" project is because I actually own an NSX... so unfortunately I don't have all the budget details.(I'm an IT guy) From what I can tell, I would say ball-park spend on mods will be at least equal to or greater than the purchase price of the car. (keep in mind all the discounts and donations for parts/labor)

Well being an NSX owner then you probably have an idea of what it'll cost you either direction you choose. Especially if you've spend money on your own.
I wish I could share that, but since the only reason I'm involved in this company "build" project is because I actually own an NSX... so unfortunately I don't have all the budget details.(I'm an IT guy) From what I can tell, I would say ball-park spend on mods will be at least equal to or greater than the purchase price of the car. (keep in mind all the discounts and donations for parts/labor)

41really53,
I'm looking forward to seeing the build progress on the NSX we just picked up from you! I'll be sure to post up the website documenting the build process once we begin!

"this company" " them " " a company " seems like if its for charity their actual name would be mentioned more in this thread

- - - Updated - - -

almost like many of our group buys for rims and other NSX product that will never turn into anything

Not trying to hide anything... I am just waiting for our Marketing bosses to give the OK to release any information about this build.

It's not a big secret which company I work for, as I've mentioned it in other posts. We just spent the past year building up a beautiful 74' BMW 2002.

Back