• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX cell phone

Does anyone know if the Dealer installed NSX mounted cell phone can be used still? It has so much nostalgia.

A wired phone? WTF :biggrin:

Yep, I know;
Nope, can't be used (at least not in Atlanta)
Old Technology - wireless guys have upgraded the networks several times since that phone was introduced.

Might be some locality with a -5G network still in place, but in general it is a conversation topic not a conversation tool anymore;

I took mine out to recover the space in the console (gotta put the I-pod somewhere - just wish they hadn't punched the holes in the coin tray)

Stupid question I'm sure --- I have a 91 with the phone in the console - any special way to remove it? Just cut the wires?? Thx, Jay

Yep, I know;
I took mine out to recover the space in the console (gotta put the I-pod somewhere - just wish they hadn't punched the holes in the coin tray)

Yeah, I used a plastic plate and some black vinyl for a drop-in cover. They'd really mangled mine.

Stupid question I'm sure --- I have a 91 with the phone in the console - any special way to remove it? Just cut the wires?? Thx, Jay

No need for cutting. If you remove the middle speaker surround, the arm rest compartment, and just the top of the center console, you can unplug everything cleanly.

I thought I read on here where someone actually gutted one of these and replaced the analog crap with modern phone guts, but left the wires connected for appearance. That'd be quite the project, but you would have a bitchin' '90s car phone.

Not to mention that it is now illegal to talk and drive with a non hands free device.

Not to mention that it is now illegal to talk and drive with a non hands free device.

The (analog) NSX phone was hands free. One of the best in fact... phone rang, you pushed the console "answer" button, the radio muted, the incoming voice came out of the radio speakers.

Really worked well. Too bad the analog transmissions are no longer supported.

While I hate ANY use of a cel phone while driving, this one was a great implementation.

yeah I just went in and TORE everything out, cut, cut,cut

there was this 35lbs Box hooked to the Cell phone I think it was the cell phone brain, it was behind the Subwoofer in the footwell, wanna save some pounds,, remove all of it

Also removed like 20lbs of CEL phone wires thru out the car.

The (analog) NSX phone was hands free. One of the best in fact... phone rang, you pushed the console "answer" button, the radio muted, the incoming voice came out of the radio speakers.

Really worked well. Too bad the analog transmissions are no longer supported.

While I hate ANY use of a cel phone while driving, this one was a great implementation.

I have the factory middle console hands-free cell phone plate with buttons and all. It's been gutted for the NOS control...hehehe...its awesome.

yeah I just went in and TORE everything out, cut, cut,cut

there was this 35lbs Box hooked to the Cell phone I think it was the cell phone brain, it was behind the Subwoofer in the footwell, wanna save some pounds,, remove all of it

Also removed like 20lbs of CEL phone wires thru out the car.

Hmm, the only things I found were in the center console and a box (about 1/2 the size of a shoe-box) in the trunk. I'm tempted to go spelunking in the footwell if there is another control box behind the sub.

You can always buy a new felt coin tray and replace it. I believe it was around $25 or so and very easy to replace (held in by a couple screws from the underside).

Back