• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX cranks but doesn't start

So I was driving on a backroad today when suddenly the car just died on me. At first, I was accelerating as normal, and then the car hit a wall at 6k - almost like a fuel cutoff. Then, 30 seconds later the engine just shut off on me and both the oil pressure and battery warning lights started flashing. Thankfully, I coasted off the road into a driveway and flatbedded the car back home.

The car cranks over as normal and all the electrical stuff seems to work ok, but the car just doesn't start. Any ideas? I'm thinking it may be the main relay, but could it also be the fuel pump? Car only has 55k miles on it so I wouldn't think that would have gone bad.

I would try the main relay first. Mileage is a small factor in their longevity, but they can go at any time. Its a relatively cheap part so doesnt hurt to try/replace it first.

And after replacing this one, fix the old one (a little solder will be your friend) and keep that one in your glove box. I always have a spare. Report back and let us know how it goes.

UPDATE:

New main relay arrived last night so I woke up early this AM to try and replace it. Following the NSX Wiki (https://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Main_Relay), I pulled all the necessary panels off. Mine was the slightly trickier setup since I had to remove the curved piece adjacent to the passenger door, but it still only took me 30-40 min start to finish.

Plugged in the new relay - car started up and is running as normal again. Phew!

I ordered mine from Curry Acura. Shipped to my door in 3 days (though I also live pretty close to the dealership).

I may order another one and keep it as a spare since it sounds like these are prone to fail.

Back