• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX driving in snow: anyone have stories?

Ok, before the forums Nazi clobbers me: I DID do a search, but wading through page after page of "my NSX is hibernating" etc got a bit tiring :)

Does anyone regularly drive their NSX during the snowy months?

Every car I have owned has been my daily driver & each has been driven through some fairly good snow (Chicago area). The '80 Saab 900 Turbo did fine (though was the worst of all I've had), the '80 RX7 was a bit twitchy, but was fine, the '87 928 S4 was terrific!!, and the '97 Z3 does OK. Of course, I used dedicated snow tires & wheels in each case: the 928 & Z3 can barely move in the white stuff with their performance shoes on!

How does the NSX do? I am VERY much checking the market (wife wonders why I've been looking @ NSX wheels before I even have the car....answer: need 'em once it gets cold again!)

Thanks much for any experiences!

David Schultz

David, I'm VERY impressed! Only 6 posts and you already have eyes in the back of your head for the Forums Nazi. :p :eek: :D

David,

Let me see if I can help you with this. As you can see, I see about ten inches of snow every ten years where I live if that) . However, there is a gentleman on this forum who has written extensively of his experiences with his NSX in the snow.

Follow this link.

http://www.nsxsc.com/html/body_article27.html

It is one of my favorite articles to read.

By the way, the author of said article is a member of this forum. He may peek his head out to answer any more of your questions. Hope this helps, and welcome to the forum!

I got my NSX this spring. I don't have any first-hand experience with the NSX in the snow. I don't plan to drive it in the snow.

I drive my 325i year round, with Pilot Alpins in the winter. With good snow tires, I think an NSX should be similar to your experience with the 928 or Z3, or my experience with the 325i. Winter driving is like race driving. Brake in a straight line, apply the power smoothly while turning, don't upset the balance.

I find a RWD car with good snow tires can be superior to a FWD car with typical all-season tires. Of course, my buddy with an Audi S4 keeps trying to get me to come over to the dark side . . . ;)

I think the NSX is relatively well suited for winter driving, given that the powerband is high in the rev range, and the overall handling characteristics are quite good to say the least. I have driven mine in some hard rain and found it to be well mannered, and that is with 265s on the rear.

WHAT A GREAT WELL WRITTEN ARTICLE! I always thought the
NSX would do well in the snow because it is so well balanced.

It's all about the tires really.I was able to white knuckle myself through about 30 miles of 1-3 inches in a freak snow squall,and all the trouble was due to no grip from the so3's.

Edwardo said:
However, there is a gentleman on this forum who has written extensively of his experiences with his NSX in the snow.

Follow this link.

http://www.nsxsc.com/html/body_article27.html

It is one of my favorite articles to read.

By the way, the author of said article is a member of this forum. He may peek his head out to answer any more of your questions. Hope this helps, and welcome to the forum!

Tks for the positive feedback on the article Edwardo ... and also PFORPAUL. I haven't had a lot of feedback on it so it was nice to hear something .. also that it might have helped David S.

David, if you eventually do go this route, do yourself a favour and buy a second set of rims (early year NSX rims go for about $200-300/set) and mount some winter tires on them so you can changeover easily. Don't expect to easily get by on worn summer tires. Oh yes .. and get used to a lot of stares.

Ian,

please check my original post again: I ALWAYS used dedicated snow tires & wheels :) Wouldn't think of risking any of the cars I've owned by limiting my traction in the winter.

Now let's all get out and enjoy the warm months while we can!

Back