• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX EMPEG/RioCar Owners...

If anyone has an EMPEG or RioCar and wants to change the "hardcoded" company logo to an NSX logo, get in touch with me at:

[email protected]

I have hacked the kernel and modified the hardcoded logo to be the NSX logo.

Here is a picture.

nsxempeg.jpg

Its not a great picture due to poor lighting, but you get the idea.

I'll post some more pictures of the entire setup in a week or so once I can get the car into some decent lighting.

-B

I don't have an Empeg but that's very cool.

------------------
Russ
'91 black/black

Here's another picture with the info bar turned on so you can see the song titles and stuff. I made the logo fairly proportionate to the overall display.

nsxempeg2.jpg

Enjoy
smile.gif

-B

That's cool. I totally dig EMPEG...my coworker has one that he takes out of his car and brings to his desk everyday (and he sits only a couple of deskss behind me)...but decided against getting one for my NSX. Out of curiosity, are you actually using your EMPEG unit in your NSX and have you had any problems with the hard drives?

------------------
--akira3D
'00 Acura NSX-T (red/black), '97 Honda Civic HX (black), '01 Lexus IS300 (black/black)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

Akira: Yes its in the NSX, No, never had any hard drive problems.

I'll post complete screenshots of the entire setup soon. Im building a website with all of the photos, from head to toe of the car... as soon as its done (a few more weeks, since there is more work being done to the engine right now, so I don't have the car to take photos).

My friend has had an EMPEG in his jeep 4x4 since the early days of the design. He has 2 units in there now, and has never ever had a problem with the drives. He goes 4-wheeling all the time, with the unit in and playing and has never had a failure. (I blame him for getting me hooked on the EMPEG, it kicks royal ass if you are into MP3 audio).

The unit runs laptop harddrives which are pretty durable to begin with compared to your normal desktop PC hard drives. Then if you open up the unit, the drives are mounted in a suspension style shock absorbant tray.

As long as your unit sits no more than 35ish degrees at an angle, you should never have an issue, I havn't had any yet.

Hope this helps...

-B

Not sure if Hugo is lurking on the site anyplace, but if so, you should post some of the pics of the install in your car. I think I am putting mine in the Land Cruiser instead because I am still afraid of tearing the dash apart in my NSX, but Hugo's looked great.

We dropped the prices on these like crazy over the past few months if anyone is still looking for one BTW, I think there are still some left.

Jonathan

Originally posted by Jonathan:

Not sure if Hugo is lurking on the site anyplace, but if so, you should post some of the pics of the install in your car.

Hi Jonathan
wink.gif

There are pics of *some* of the install (got to wait for nice weather until I take some more, it's too cold to get the camera out atm!) on www.riocar.org in the installs gallery.

Not happy with the sound yet, need a decent sub; the Dali one is no good for RHD cars
frown.gif

SoS were threatening to offer a pre-cut DIN panel, weren't they?

Hugo

Originally posted by altman:
SoS were threatening to offer a pre-cut DIN panel, weren't they?

Hugo

I don't know for sure, for now I have given up on the NSX install and am putting mine in the Land Cruiser instead. I did think seriously about trying to mount it in the middle console at one time though
wink.gif

Jonathan

Originally posted by BoneZ:
If anyone has an EMPEG or RioCar and wants to change the "hardcoded" company logo ...

I also put something together quickly for a boot logo screen for the NSX (feel free to clean up the logo
smile.gif
). Looks pretty decent on the player on startup, I show it at 2x below here...

nsxcar_rio(large).bmp

Here is what it looks like when on the player at startup ...

rio%20car%20nsx%20on.jpg

The 128x32 image you would need is here if anyone wants it:
http://www.irquick.net/jahani/nsxcar_rio.bmp

- Jonathan

[This message has been edited by Jonathan (edited 10 March 2002).]

Should invert the colors on the word NSX, so that it doesn't have a white background. That way it just says NSX in color, with the normal background color, won't bleed as much into the cars color.

Working with 2 colors and 2 shades of grey limits us a lot, but it does look good.

Your logo however is the bootup logo, and hence can only be seen when the player boots/restarts.

The logo I modified is actually the one IN the kernel so it can be used in the Visuals as well, and can be seen while the unit is on and playing.

Im working on hacking the animated logo on the 2.00+ kernels, where the little penguin comes out and waves his hand. Thinking about doing something where the NSX logo fills in or slides in from one side or something like that.

As soon as I finish it, I'll post it up.

-B

Back