• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX FIESTA: 20th Anniversary celebrations in Japan

Hotel Granvia Kyoto is located above Kyoto station.
Is room rate expensive, isn't it?
I can suggest you RIHGA Royal Hotel.
http://www.rihga.com/kyoto/index.html
You can take shuttle bus from station
or walk 5 min to hotel.

Are you interested in Japanese style "Ryokan".
You sleep on Tatami-mat:biggrin:.

Attention!!
In autumn many visitors will visit and stay in Kyoto,
so it is very hard to make reservation.

Hirofumi

The rates are comparable at Granvia and RIGHA except Granvia has free internet access. Because I am a lifelong New Yorker, I have a different view of what is considered "expensive" for a hotel room.

I had read that Kyoto is popular in Autumn and that is why we are starting to make our plans early.

I am assuming there will be participant fees to cover the cost of activities for NSX Fiesta. (much like NSXPO) Has that amount been figured out as well?

Yes,
I estimate fee for NSX Fiesta(2 days) is JPY31,500 or USD350 or less.
Dinner party, breakfast, lunch and accommodation are included.

Hirofumi

RSO, don't know if you are up for the experience, but I'd love to stay in a Ryokan. It would provide a very Japanese experience.

from Wikipedia
A ryokan (旅館?) is a type of traditional Japanese inn dating from the Edo period (1603–1868), when they served travelers along Japan's highways. They typically feature tatami-matted rooms, communal baths, and other public areas where visitors may wear yukata and talk with the owner.

Ryokan are difficult to find in Tokyo and other large cities because many are expensive compared to hotels, and Japanese people increasingly use hotels for urban tourism. Kyoto, a city many people visit for its ryokan, is a notable exception.

The 'commual baths' they mention can be fed from hot springs if nearby. Some have private baths as well.

Ken,

If you leave Tokyo at 5:45pm on Tuesday, you arrive in Newark at 4:20pm on Tuesday. 14 hour time difference, Japan is ahead:).

I just returned from Japan on Continental #08 Saturday, left on Saturday. You loose a day going, and get it back returning.

Regards,
LarryB

Hello Kye and Hiro fumi,

Back at the beginning of this thread, there was a 7 day plan. Is that still the idea or will it just be 2 day Fiesta with everyone doing there own thing around those 2 days? I recognize that it will be a huge task to organize everyone for 7 days (like shepherding butterflies ;-) ). Please let me know how I can assist from Australia. I think a visit to the NSX Renew facility will be of interest to every NSXer. Will there be a restriction on the number of attendees?

Looking forward to meeting you,
Paul

Exciting!!

I revised and show you tentative plan.
Do you have any requests or questions?

TENTATIVE PLAN(revised)​

NSX 20th Anniversary celebrations event in Japan

Nov. 16(Tue)"Prologue"
Arrive in Narita (NRT)
Move to Tokyo by yourselves (1.5hrs by bus)
Check in hotel(TBD). I recommend you to stay in Shinagawa, Tokyo.
(ex. Grand Prince Hotel Takanawa)
http://www.princehotels.com/en/takanawa/

Nov. 17(Wed)
Group 1 "Tune Up"  Shop tour by chartered bus
1. Fuji Speed Way
2. NOVA
3. MUGEN
4. SPOON
5. MACS​

Group 2 "Yokoso Japan" by chartered bus for ladies and kids
Sightseeing and shopping (Akihabara, Asakusa, Odaiba, Ginza and other place you want to visit).​

"Welcome night in Tokyo"
Welcome party in Roppongi with NSXCJ members​
Stay in your hotel (TBD) in Tokyo.

Nov. 18(Thurs) "HONDA tour"
By chartered bus
1. Nikko Shrine (historical place)
2. HONDA Collection Hall, Motegi
3. Activities in Twin Ring Motegi​
Return to your hotel (TBD) in Tokyo

Nov. 19(Fri)“Scenic tour”
Move to Kyoto by Shinkansen(2hrs)
1.Ride on a tram
http://www.sagano-kanko.co.jp/eng/index.htm
2.Drift down a river by boat
3.Arashiyama area (ex. Tenryuji temple)​
Staying in Kyoto (TBD)

Nov. 20(Sat)“Historical tour”
1.Kinkakuji temple
2.Ryoanji temple
3.Nijo castle
4.Fushimi shrine
5.Museum(TBD)​
Staying in Kyoto (TBD)

Nov. 21(Sun)"Track event"
Move to Suzuka by chartered bus(1.5hrs)
NSX Fiesta for 20th anniversary

Activities (TBD)
1.Parade
2.Go karting
3.Driving on slippery track – Competition
4.Driving NSX (if you can drive RHD)
5.Group photo
6.Exhibition (display NSX goods)
others​
Every kids can enjoy at amusement park in same site

Banquet Dinner
Staying in Suzuka circuit hotel(booked by HONDA)

Nov. 22(Mon)"Technical event"
Activities (TBD)
Factory tour at Refresh plan booth and lecture from HONDA​

Move to Nagoya station by ?
Move from Nagoya to Tokyo by Shinkansen(2hrs)
Stay in Tokyo or Narita(TBD)

Nov. 23(Tue)"Farewell"
Check out your hotel
Leave from Narita(NRT)

If you return to United States, you arrive on same day.

Hirofumi

Last edited:
I am arranging now. Please wait for awhile.
I recommend you to stay in Grand Prince Hotel Takanawa.

Limousine bus goes to this hotel from Narita airport(NRT) directly.
It takes 1.5 hours and fare is JPY3,000.

You can go to everywhere you want to go from this hotel.
You can walk to Shinkansen station "Shinagawa".

Kye, Simon, Ben,
Do you have any ideas?

Regards,
Hirofumi

Hi Hirofumi,

Thanks for setting this up. I also recommend the Shinagawa area, as it is one of the most convenient transit hubs in Tokyo,but without the crowds, and much easier to navigate the area than other transit hubs.

From Shinagawa station, you can access the Yamanote Line, Shinkansen, and Narita Express, as well as a number of other local trains.

I prefer the Shinagawa Prince Hotel, because it is directly across from the Shinagawa Station. Grand Prince Takanawa is ok also, but you have to walk about 10 minutes up/down a large hill to get to/from the station. The Limousine Bus to/from Narita Airport also stops at many of the hotels in Shinagawa.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, that will mean that travel arrangements for returning to the United States at the end of the event will be at the height of the Thanksgiving travel crunch. People leaving Japan on Tuesday will be arriving in the United States on Wednesday, the busiest travel day of the entire year. That's a BIG conflict. :frown:

Unfortunately, as you know with planning these types of events, I think the dates are largely dictated by Honda and the availability of Suzuka Circuit.

Hi Hirofumi,

Thanks for publishing the schedule. Please let me know if you need my help to arrange, or to help people get around in Tokyo during the events. Let me know how I can help.

Exciting!!

I revised and show you tentative plan.
Do you have any requests or questions?

TENTATIVE PLAN(revised)​

NSX 20th Anniversary celebrations event in Japan

Nov. 16(Tue)"Prologue"
Arrive in Narita (NRT)
Move to Tokyo by yourselves (1.5hrs by bus)
Check in hotel(TBD). I recommend you to stay in Shinagawa, Tokyo.
(ex. Grand Prince Hotel Takanawa)

Nov. 17(Wed)
Group 1 "Tune Up"  Shop tour by chartered bus
1. Fuji Speed Way
2. NOVA
3. MUGEN
4. SPOON
5. MACS​

Group 2 "Yokoso Japan" by chartered bus for ladies and kids
Sightseeing and shopping (Akihabara, Asakusa, Odaiba, Ginza and other place you want to visit).​

"Welcome night in Tokyo"
Welcome party in Roppongi with NSXCJ members​
Stay in your hotel (TBD) in Tokyo.

Nov. 18(Thurs) "HONDA tour"
By chartered bus
1. Nikko Shrine (historical place)
2. HONDA Collection Hall, Motegi
3. Activities in Twin Ring Motegi​
Return to your hotel (TBD) in Tokyo

Nov. 19(Fri)“Scenic tour”
Move to Kyoto by Shinkansen(2hrs)
1.Ride on a tram
http://www.sagano-kanko.co.jp/eng/index.htm
2.Drift down a river by boat
3.Arashiyama area (ex. Tenryuji temple)​
Staying in Kyoto (TBD)

Nov. 20(Sat)“Historical tour”
1.Kinkakuji temple
2.Ryoanji temple
3.Nijo castle
4.Fushimi shrine
5.Museum(TBD)​
Staying in Kyoto (TBD)

Nov. 21(Sun)"Track event"
Move to Suzuka by chartered bus(1.5hrs)

Activities (TBD)
1.Parade
2.Go karting
3.Driving on slippery track – Competition
4.Driving NSX (if you can drive RHD)
5.Group photo
6.Exhibition (display NSX goods)
others​
Every kids can enjoy at amusement park in same site

Banquet Dinner
Staying in Suzuka circuit hotel(booked by HONDA)

Nov. 22(Mon)"Technical event"
Activities (TBD)
Factory tour at Refresh plan booth and lecture from HONDA​

Move to Nagoya station by ?
Move to Tokyo from Nagoya by Shinkansen(2hrs)
Stay in Tokyo or Narita(TBD)

Nov. 23(Tue)"Farewell"
Check out your hotel
Leave from Narita(NRT)

If you return to United States, you arrive on same day.

Hirofumi

Re: How many NSXers will come?

I will meet and discuss with Honda staff for NSX Fiesta in April,
so I want to know how many NSXers on prime will attend roughly.

How do I count?:confused:

Hirofumi

I will start a separate thread to get people to indicate whether a definite or a maybe.

Do you have any deadline dates in mind by which you need a fairly accurate number? Would you need any deposits to help out on your end?

I hope I am not asking for too much but is there a way to give an approximate cost of this (minus Airfare) based on the tentative schedule? I have never been to Japan and since charter busses are listed along with activities.

I think it will help some of us move out of the maybe column sooner rather than later.

I will start a separate thread to get people to indicate whether a definite or a maybe.

Do you have any deadline dates in mind by which you need a fairly accurate number? Would you need any deposits to help out on your end?

Last edited:
Booked the flight and will book the hotel soon. I guess the Grand Prince Takanawa is the "headquarters" hotel for the entire time? If so, I'll book there. If not, I'd like to stay in the same hotel as everyone else.

Really looking forward to the event and since it'll be my first time in Japan, I wonder if there's anything else I could do to help prepare (besides update my passport). I'm thinking there may be enough time to take a short language course.

FWIW, the Grand Prince Takanawa isn't taking reservations directly this far in advance (through their website anyway).

However, one can reserve a room through Orbitz for the event dates. Rates range from $207 to $231 a night.

Last year NSX Fiesta was held on Sep.13 and 14.
Registration was Jul.10 to 30.

I estimate deadline date of NSX Fiesta 2010 will be around Aug.31.
So I do not need accurate number now,
but I have to show budget to all of you
after I get quotation of charter busses and others.
And I want to tell number to Honda staff whom I will meet and discuss in April.

And we need no deposits for Fiesta and busses.
We may pay fee for Fiesta in August after registration finish.

Thanks.

Hirofumi

Last edited:
FWIW, the Grand Prince Takanawa isn't taking reservations directly this far in advance (through their website anyway).

However, one can reserve a room through Orbitz for the event dates. Rates range from $207 to $231 a night.

Yes,
we cannot book this hotel on their web site now.
I called and talk with hotel. They accept my booking for group.
But they said that we can book with lowest rate on their web site.
I think we can book this hotel through the internet from April or May.

Regards,
Hirofumi

I show recommended hotels to you.
You can book these hotels with lowest rate on their web site,
but you cannot book yet. I estimate you can book from April or May through the internet.
Rate will be approximately USD150 or less for twin beds.
I will inform best rate to you.:smile:

I want to use Grand Prince Hotel Takanawa as headquater hotel.
I will stay this hotel.
But there are some Prince Hotels in this area.
I show them below. You may stay every hotels.
You can walk to headquater hotel.

1. Grand Prince Hotel Takanawa(standard, traditional, calm)

2. Grand Prince Hotel New Takanawa(standard, modern)
http://www.princehotels.com/en/newtakanawa/

3. The Prince Sakura Tower Tokyo(excellent, expensive a little bit )
http://www.princehotels.com/en/sakuratower/

4. Shinagawa Prince Hotel(standard, many people around lobby and entrance)
http://www.princehotels.com/en/shinagawa/

Map and directions

Charter busses start from this hotel and return.

Accommodation in Kyoto will be shown soon.
Do you have any questions about accommodation?

Hirofumi

Last edited:
Thank you very much, Hirofumi. I'll wait to reserve a room at the Crown Prince Takanawa, whatever hotel in Kyoto, and Suzuka, until I hear from you with more details.

I sincerely appreciate your efforts.

Thank you very much, Hirofumi. I'll wait to reserve a room at the Crown Prince Takanawa, whatever hotel in Kyoto, and Suzuka, until I hear from you with more details.

I sincerely appreciate your efforts.

You are very welcome.

Hotel in Suzuka.
We will stay in Suzuka Circuit Hotel on Nov.21.
Accommodation and meals are included in NSX Fiesta 2010 program
provided by HONDA.
So we don't need book any rooms.

Hotel in Kyoto.
Autumn is high season in Japan, especially in Kyoto.
So it is better to make a reservation as group.
Please wait.

Hirofumi

Thank you for your very kind offer, Hirofumi. We would greatly appreciate your guidance during our early arrival.

We have plans to arrive in Narita on the 14th and then hope to take the shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto that evening so that we can stay in Kyoto that night and Monday night. This will allow us two days to tour Kyoto.

We were considering staying at Hotel Granvia Kyoto. Any recommendations of Kyoto hotels?

Sorry, I confused:confused:
Do I misunderstand your plan?

Do you plan that all people will arrive in Narita on 14th Nov.
and move to Kyoto on same day?
Or only few members (ex. a few people including you with your friend)
will arrive earlier than other attendees?

I showed you revised tentative plan.
But I suggest you will stay in Kyoto 19th and 20th just before Fiesta.
This is 8 days plan, is this too short for you?
If so, I can re-arrange and show you.

Do I show you plan that many of you will arrive in Narita on 14th Nov.?
9 days in Japan!

Best regards,
Hirofumi

Is it possible for a shorter plan? 7 days in Japan?

Maybe it would make sense to have the Kyoto tour first, on the 14th-15th, so that people who want to arrive the 16th and stay for only 7 days can still participate in all the Honda and NSX oriented activities.

Is it possible for a shorter plan? 7 days in Japan?

Maybe it would make sense to have the Kyoto tour first, on the 14th-15th, so that people who want to arrive the 16th and stay for only 7 days can still participate in all the Honda and NSX oriented activities.

The actual NSX Fiesta is only 2 days. Hirofumi and our other Japanese hosts have planed 5 days worth of other optional activities that are not related to the actual NSX Fiesta, so I would imagine you can attend as much as, or as little as you want outside the actual Fiesta. That said, I would not miss on any of the activities though, if possible.

Having done most of those things before as part of past Fiesta trips, I can say that having Japanese hosts and guides is an invaluable thing for the first timer or infrequent traveler to Japan, an opportunity that few will ever get.

I think you're missing my point, Ben.

Hirofumi announced a schedule of Honda/automotive oriented activities (as copied in your post #159 above) which starts in Tokyo on Nov 16. If two additional days are to be added for touring Kyoto, they should be done on Nov 14-15, BEFORE the Honda-related activities. That way, anyone who is coming primarily for the automotive related activities can do so, without needing to spend the extra two days.

I'm not saying any activities aren't worthwhile. I am saying that it makes sense to do them in a different sequence. Kyoto first, Nov 14-15. Then car activities, beginning Nov 16.

I think you're missing my point, Ben.

Hirofumi announced a schedule of Honda/automotive oriented activities (as copied in your post #159 above) which starts in Tokyo on Nov 16. If two additional days are to be added for touring Kyoto, they should be done on Nov 14-15, BEFORE the Honda-related activities. That way, anyone who is coming primarily for the automotive related activities can do so, without needing to spend the extra two days.

I'm not saying any activities aren't worthwhile. I am saying that it makes sense to do them in a different sequence. Kyoto first, Nov 14-15. Then car activities, beginning Nov 16.

Ahh, I understand. The reason why the schedule is the way it is is simple logistics. Things like Motegi, and the Nikko Shrine are in the same area, hence it makes sense to do them together. As such, Kyoto and Suzuka are in the same region as well, hence, it makes sense to do them together. Otherwise you will be going all over and backtracking.

Imagine that if you started in Chicago, then Motegi/Nikko Shrine would be about where Milwaukee is. Kyoto would be about where Kansas City is, then Suzuka would be where St. Louis is. Distances aren't exact, but you get the idea of why the schedule was set up as it is.

Back