• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX front end floats at highway speed

Yesterday I took a 1991 NSX on a test drive. When I hit roughly 80mph on the highway, the front end started floating from side-to-side so I lost all confidence in the handling of the car and immediately returned it to its owner. Is this a tire problem or a more serious suspension problem?

Yuck. All I know is what I've experienced with my NSX and it was rock steady stable at speeds much higher than 80mph - even with blown shocks. Sounds like something's wrong with the cars suspension.

the nsx is rock steady at triple digit speeds. Have that car inspected at a good acura dealer before proceeding.

The front gets a little light at 230 but up to 200 feels like 60.
The windows get sucked out which is a little distracting.

hatchback said:
Yesterday I took a 1991 NSX on a test drive. When I hit roughly 80mph on the highway, the front end started floating from side-to-side so I lost all confidence in the handling of the car and immediately returned it to its owner. Is this a tire problem or a more serious suspension problem?

This is certainly not normal. The NSX should feel solid and secure well into triple digits.

It could be a tire problem or a suspension problem; it's difficult to diagnose without more information. The first thing I would look at is the tires, what type and size and condition. An NSX with crappy tires is going to drive crappy.

Since you're just shopping, I would move on and find another car.

Originally posted by Tony Montoya
The front gets a little light at 230 but up to 200 feels like 60.

kmph, of course.

Originally posted by Tony Montoya
The windows get sucked out which is a little distracting.

They shouldn't do this. Your dealer can adjust your windows according to the procedure in the service manual so that there is no noise even at high speeds.

I took a bend at 100 mph yesterday, and if you are not used to having the engine and gas tank behind you, it may not feel as planted as some other cars. I wouldn't say it floats or wanders in a straight line (except over grated bridges), but it will plow when over-driven in a turn.

The other plausable explanation may be it was the road,crowned truck ruts can cause the wandering and tuging of the wheel..,,or the car is to blame,who knows?

did the car have any suspension mods?
if an nsx is lowered too much in the rear it allows too much air to travel under the car which gives you the "floating" feeling.

I have H&R springs on my car and it is very svery table even up into the upper 150's... the only thing I notice is ALOT of wind noise.

JAM said:
I have H&R springs on my car and it is very svery table even up into the upper 150's... the only thing I notice is ALOT of wind noise.

It's possible that your windows need adjustment, too.

I was having a problem with mine making a lot of wind noise any time I had the car over 130 mph. After the adjustment, hardly any noise at all.

NSXTASY, thanks for the pointer, I will have to have that looked into.:D

-sorry to go off topic-;)

Back