• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX iPod installation using USA*Spec adapter

Hey guys, just wanted to let you guys know that I was reading up on Motegis tutorial and decided to try it out (not on my NSX yet) but on my brothers 2000 Toyota Corolla. So I went to Circuit City tonight to purchase the parts. They had the US spec toyota adapter in stock, as well as the DF-HON for the NSX. I found it in the Car stereo section. Then I was looking for the Belkin Auto kit, I found it located in the IPOD auto accesory section (Right next to the FM transmitters), it took me a good 10 mins to find it too and even the employees didnt know where they stocked it.

So after that I needed the Stereo Aux to headphone cable (Stereo mini), I couldnt find it, neither could their employees. So they suggested Radio shack. Luckily it was a block away. They had plenty of Stereo Minis in stock. They had different brands as well. So I picked up a 3ft cable for 9 bucks. On the package it says AUX Y cable, just so u guys dont get confused bc I originally asked them for the Stereo Mini cable and they had no clue what I was talking about.

Anyways, I came home, grabbed a drill with a philips bit, a flathead screw driver, a flashlight and literally.......(NO EXAGGERATION)........approximately 12 minutes later I was done. Done to the point where I neatly tucked all the wires, routed the AUX cable through the glove compartment, snapped back in the radio dash piece,plugged in the belkin, cranked up the IPOD NANO and it sounded AWESOME!!

However, I could not use any of the stereo functions to control the songlist. The buttons that normally would control the songs just paused and muted them. So for now, choosing the songs via IPOD is just fine by me.

Granted I am in NO way handy, especially when it comes to electronics, but thanks to Motegi's writeup I felt like a pro. Next I will attempt this same procedure on my NSX. Thanks guys! :redface:

I'm glad I was able to help!

Let me know if you have any questions!

Great Information here guys, thanks for taking the time to write this up. I have an aftermarket CD changer that uses an FM modulator. Eventually I'd like to convert it to this direct setup and gain back some trunk space.:smile:

Hey I decided to test out this installation on my NSX. I don't want to take apart my console so I plugged the USA Spec adapter from the OEM CD Changer DIN plug in the trunk. It works great, now the only problem is I have to buy a longer Stereo Mini cable so I can route it to the cabin and mount it at the same location as Motegis. My question is where and how do I route the Stereo Mini wire from the trunk to the console? I don't want to start ripping apart panels if I dont have to. thanks

I just did something similar. I used the usa-spec pa11, It has the ability to control the ipod from the head unit, and gives you an aux input. I plugged the usa-spec into the cd changer cable in the trunk (passenger side) ran two cables thru the wall between the trunk and the engine compartment (there is a grommet on the passenger side. I had to enlarge the rubber grommet to allow the cables to passthru. Ran the cables on the passenger side of the engine compartment (I later covered these wires with plastic wire loom to give it a factory look.) there is another grommet on the firewall between the engine compartment and the cabin, again I wnlarged the grommet opening to allow the cables to pass thu (this grommet is roughly behind the passengers right ear) You need to remove 3 interior panels, and the armrest. I can go into detail if you need to, but its very easy. I used a hand type nail removel tool so I did not break any clips. From there I routed the wires thur this area to the armrest this is where my ipod is. I also routed the two RCA wires in the center console to a satelite radio mounted in a panavise bracket on the dash. oops!..... this is getting long winded...... sufice it to say the usa-spec pa11 works great so now I have both ipod and satelite radio working....now how can I keep the smartenna working?

I wasn't able to get my smartenna working with this setup either. I don't know why it would see a signal from an ipod as any different than a signal from a CD player. Although it does pass through the pre-amp which tells the head unit its only got CD 6 loaded.

Hmmmmm..........:confused:

I just did something similar. I used the usa-spec pa11, It has the ability to control the ipod from the head unit, and gives you an aux input. I plugged the usa-spec into the cd changer cable in the trunk (passenger side) ran two cables thru the wall between the trunk and the engine compartment (there is a grommet on the passenger side. I had to enlarge the rubber grommet to allow the cables to passthru. Ran the cables on the passenger side of the engine compartment (I later covered these wires with plastic wire loom to give it a factory look.) there is another grommet on the firewall between the engine compartment and the cabin, again I wnlarged the grommet opening to allow the cables to pass thu (this grommet is roughly behind the passengers right ear) You need to remove 3 interior panels, and the armrest. I can go into detail if you need to, but its very easy. I used a hand type nail removel tool so I did not break any clips. From there I routed the wires thur this area to the armrest this is where my ipod is. I also routed the two RCA wires in the center console to a satelite radio mounted in a panavise bracket on the dash. oops!..... this is getting long winded...... sufice it to say the usa-spec pa11 works great so now I have both ipod and satelite radio working....now how can I keep the smartenna working?

Hey thanks for the help. After reading that, I realized something. If I get the USA Spec P11, then as long as I keep my ipod in the trunk, I dont a need to route any wires from the trunk to the cabin. All I need to do is mount the adapter and ipod in the trunk, then I can use my OEM radio controls. BTW, does the radio have total control to the ipod? Or is it like just forward and back? thanks

The usa-spec pa11hon has two different modes you can choose. The first being direct mode this allows you to track forward backward from the OEM headunit as well as complete control thru the ipod itself (this is the mode I use). The second is mode is playlist and essentially, it acts like a cd changer so you would arrange 5 different playlists on the ipod called Honda1 thu honda5. Then you can toggle between the play lists (it will show up on the headunit as CD-1 track01 thru CD-5 track01) so basically you can have 5 playlists with a huge amount of songs on each. All controlled by the headunit. It charges thru the CD changer cable so no power adapters are needed. The USA spec has auxillary inputs that will use the CD-6 spot. I use this for the satelite radio, these are just RCA inputs. I ran all these wires because I wanted full control via the ipod (inside the cabin)as well as the ability to control the track up and down from the headunit and have satelite radio. While I was running these wires I also ran the satelite radio antenna in the same place to the back. I would be carfull not to leave the ipod in the trunk as I would probably forget about it and it could over heat back there (I live in the desert)

I just surfed Cirtcuit city's website and no longer see the P11 Hon adapter. Are there other retail stores that sell these? I know my local circuit city doesnt have the p11

smartenna operation
I think it may have to do with the power. The IPOD is constantly drawing power for charging, I don't think the cd changer draws constant power. I wonder if B Zublin has any Ideas?

i

I bought mine online. you can get it from enfigcarstereo.com or ebay

"smartenna operation
I think it may have to do with the power. The IPOD is constantly drawing power for charging, I don't think the cd changer draws constant power. I wonder if B Zublin has any Ideas? "

You may be right. I noticed that the smartenna plug wouldn't fit into the pre-amp. It only plugs into the head unit. If the smartenna is looking for a 12v signal from the head unit, wouldn't it still see it when we select CD from the head unit?

I am guessing here but....When the cd changer is being used, current (power) is sent to the changer via pin 6 or pin 7 of the din connector (when you press "CD" on headunit). when you press "AM FM" power might be cut off to the cd changer. But with the IPOD it is constantly drawing power again I am guessing. I wonder which pins in the din connector the smartenna is "monitering" Hopefully Bryan Z. Can chime in and give us a hand here....

Ok, I just ordered the P11-HON from Crutchfield. Can I use the stereo mini cable or does it need something else?

It should come with the all the cables to connect the ipod to the usa-spec and to connect it to the existing cable in the trunk.
You can use the stereo mini cable to connect a different source like a satelite radio or personal cd player or whatever has audio outputs to the aux input of the usa spec.

It should come with the all the cables to connect the ipod to the usa-spec and to connect it to the existing cable in the trunk.
You can use the stereo mini cable to connect a different source like a satelite radio or personal cd player or whatever has audio outputs to the aux input of the usa spec.

Good deal! Thanks for your help. I decided to order another P11 for my X5 as well :)

Will the usa-spec pa11hon module work with a 91 NSX radio? I just want to make sure before I purchase it. I want to mimic the same setup like Nsxter but everyone that has this setup has a 95 and up. I would only want a solution that would just let me control the ipod using my stock headunit and charge the ipod as well.

TIA

I have a 1995 NSX and I just bought the USA Spec PA11-HON2y AUX adapter and it does not seem to work. Is it compatible to my year NSX?

The reason it doesn't work is because you have the adapter made for the 2005-2007 newer honda/acuras. You need the PA11-HON NOT the PA11-HON2y

The reason it doesn't work is because you have the adapter made for the 2005-2007 newer honda/acuras. You need the PA11-HON NOT the PA11-HON2y
He's absolutely right. The setup worked perfect. I have it setup just like Nsxter. I will move the module to the front as well as the Ipod in the center console storage box. $125shipped. I found a online vendor that was local.. got it next day...

hey I kinda read through the thread here and was wondering what parts I need to control my ipod through my oem deck?

also what adapter cables are needed.....basically looking for a parts list.

I know I'm lazy, its late:redface:

hey I kinda read through the thread here and was wondering what parts I need to control my ipod through my oem deck?

also what adapter cables are needed.....basically looking for a parts list.

I know I'm lazy, its late:redface:

Go to crutchfield.com and order the USA SPEC PA11-HON ipod adapter. It comes with everything you need. Just plug it into your OEM CD DIN cable then plug the adapter to your IPOD........thats it

Anything else you need to know..............go back to page one and read this entire thread :) :tongue:

installed mine 2 weeks ago. installation was behind the panel behind the driver seat. special thanks to pocospic and OneRedNSX

e778329b.jpg
e778329a.jpg

e7783298.jpg
e7783295.jpg

e7783293.jpg
e7783292.jpg

e7783291.jpg
e778328a.jpg

47b7cc23b3127cceb172f738c39700000026100Act3DVm2ZuWLA

Last edited:
Reviving an old thread. All the links for the tutorials do not work. Does anyone know of one? Thanks

Back