• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX LED Taillight conversion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

The many options make me dizzy.

When I look on the first page of this thread I see a picture below the number one with three lines.

I would not mind if that is the normal parking light. When the brake lights are on I would like them to be "filled" everywhere in greater intensity.

Is that what is showed in the third picture in post one? That would look good.

What I also need. I am not sure if this is the euro way. I need the turn signals at the very end on right and left and they need to be orange/yellow.

And ofcourse the white reverse light and the red rear fog light.

Because of my euro NSX I would think that I am in the custom "group"?

Is there something I do not understand here?

Regards

I'm sorry for your confusion. The 3rd picture is the picture of both the parking lights and brake lights lit up. The first pic is just the parking lights. The second pics is the parking lights and turn signals.
martin said:
When I look on the first page of this thread I see a picture below the number one with three lines.

I would not mind if that is the normal parking light. When the brake lights are on I would like them to be "filled" everywhere in greater intensity.

Is that what is showed in the third picture in post one? That would look good.

Yes, I can make your turn signals yellow. That will not be a problem.
martin said:
What I also need. I am not sure if this is the euro way. I need the turn signals at the very end on right and left and they need to be orange/yellow.

I do not think there is a need for you to be entered into a custom group. There is really no extra work I have to do to make one reverse light red and one reverse light white. I will ask every customer befoer I design each set of taillights what he specifically wants/needs.
martin said:
Because of my euro NSX I would think that I am in the custom "group"

apkarian100 ...

Any updated pictures on your progress so far? Just wondering as I have not seen anymore posts in a few days.

Looking forward to seeing a completed taillight picture.

Thanks

Just bought a chopper yesterday with your backing money since you didn't bump me and NCC-1701D in front of Angus!!! lol
Trev

Hi,

I'm just finishing up the wiring on the prototype set and correcting the brake/parking light design. I hope to get all the wiring done by the weekend. I have made circuit boards for the next 5 customers so, that will help out in speeding up production. I will post pics of the completed lights with the taillight lenses on soon.

I am still trying to get in contact with TURBO2GO to set up a test fit, because he is the closest person I know with am NSX, but so far he has not replied to my PMs.
apkarian100 ...

Any updated pictures on your progress so far? Just wondering as I have not seen anymore posts in a few days.

Looking forward to seeing a completed taillight picture.

Thanks

Hey guys,

I have some nice pics of what both the LEDs taillights will look like with the lenses with on.

Please excuse the 4 little LEDs not lit when the brake lights are on. I order some parts and they haven't come in yet, so I built the LED brake lights to the best I could. The 4 LEDs will be lit once I get the parts.

I am still looking for a local vehicle to test my lights on. TURBO2GO has not been replying to my PMs.

So here you go:

Parking Lights:

DSC02271.jpg

DSC02270.jpg

DSC02272.jpg

DSC02273.jpg

Brake Lights:

DSC02277.jpg

DSC02281.jpg

Turn Signals:

DSC02283.jpg

DSC02284.jpg

DSC02285.jpg

Reverse Lights:

DSC02288.jpg

DSC02286.jpg

I think it looks great! As always, my only concern is about the longevity of the LED's. It's the only reason I haven't jumped on the R8 LED mod in another thread.

Maybe there's a commercial supplier to the automotive industry that you should consider sourcing from?

...btw, did I tell you, They Look Great:biggrin:

I think for the LEDs, it's a matter of which one's you choose and how you decided to power them. I chose not to use the simple 3mm LEDs because they are only rated at 30mA max. The ones I use are made by the Philips lighting company specifically for automotive applications. These LEDs are rated at 70mA, but have the capabiility of running up to 100mA. I never run my LEDs up to the max current ratings as a means to increase their life span.

BTW, thank you for the complements.

I think it looks great! As always, my only concern is about the longevity of the LED's. It's the only reason I haven't jumped on the R8 LED mod in another thread.

Maybe there's a commercial supplier to the automotive industry that you should consider sourcing from?

...btw, did I tell you, They Look Great:biggrin:

Last edited:
Can you take a photo of the 2 lenses side by side, one with parking lights and one with brake lights so we can see the difference in brightness?

looks great- i would suggest turning the intensity down, they sure are bright (they will last longer too).

In a test by the company, 3,051 of these LEDs were tested running at their max rated current in 133 degree Fahrenheit conditions and they survived for 3,723,000 hours. None of them failed prematurely to those hours. The LEDs show in the pictures are running at least 20mA lower than the rated max current, and they are still that bright.

Looks great! Sorry if I missed this, but what is the longevity of the LED's?

In a test by the company, 3,051 of these LEDs were tested running at their max rated current in 133 degree Fahrenheit conditions and they survived for 3,723,000 hours. None of them failed prematurely to those hours. The LEDs show in the pictures are running at least 20mA lower than the rated max current, and they are still that bright.

A mean time of 1220 hours then, right?

Also, don't turn them down too much from the pictures. I'd think the majority of your customers would rather have brighter than stock in comparison to stock...kinda like the R8.

Last edited:
No I believe that time is per LED. A datasheet on these LEDs read that, assuming you were using these LEDs for 168 hours a week at their max current, that these LEDs's failure rate would increase 3% each year. The use per week is equivalent to using your car, with the lights on for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.

Also, don't turn them down too much from the pictures. I'd think the majority of your customers would rather have brighter than stock in comparison to stock...kinda like the R8.

Last edited:

stock is way dim, i agree, but when viewed at night, even at 75% of the intensity of the ones in pics will be equivalent to looking at a spaceship- i don't want to attract attention like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back