• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX not Ferrari

The topic called "NSX and Lotus Esprit" made me remember a funny event that I had when visiting a shop on a industrial site here in The Netherlands.

I parked the car just about 15 metres away and went in. While looking through some paperwork, I did notice two of the girls talking and gooing outside but paid no attention.
After a few minutes, the girls came back in and one asked me if that beautiful Ferrari outside was mine. She said they really thought it to be a beautiful car and she had made a phone pict of it and send that to her boyfriend as he was a Ferrari fan.:biggrin: :wink:

I told her it wasn't a Ferrari but a Honda NSX.
They never heared of this and now all the staff walked outside to have a look:smile:
They all agreed they never saw a car like that (not too strange as there are only about 35 NSX in the country), but all said they thought it was a beautiful car.
I wonder about the reaction of the Ferrari loving friend who she sent the pict. of my car to:rolleyes: :eek: :biggrin: :tongue:

I am sure the Ferrari fan will appreciate what he sees. I get asked all the time if my car is a Ferrari and people often glance at the hood while im in motion to see the prancing horse.lol :wink:

Should of told her not its not a Ferrari because if it was a Ferrari it would have stayed at the shop.:cool:

It's understandalbe since the NSX was penned by Pininfarina.

http://www.pininfarina.com/

Cool site if you're interested.

Edit - I always thought the NSX was designed by Pininfarina, but I can't find any evidence on their site. Anyone know for sure?

When I went to register my car in New Mexico the guy at the registration office thought iwas a Ferrari when I pulled up. Shortly after I walked in the woman in the office looked out to see the car and quickly corrected him by letting him know it was an NSX not a Ferrari.

There is this little area here in TX that its feels like France really expensive high end restaurants and strip centers.Any ways my friend and i go in his F1 red 02 nsx and park right in front of a the coffee shop and we went in , and immediately the 16-18year old female cashier asked "HEY IS THAT YOUR NSX"? We were both surprised she new what the car was and she didn't say "HEY IS THAT YOUR FERRARI " like everyone else that looks at the car.:biggrin:

Our car STILL is not easily recognized and went unnoticed by so many. Three years out of production and it will only get worse.

Honda woke Ferrari and others up and though they have left us with no successor we can at least thank them for raising the bar.

Time marches on and thankfully we have Ferrari, Porsche and even the likes of Chevrolet to carry on and exceed our dreams as Honda goes back to sleep.

Honda always speaks of "dreams", who can be surprised?

We own a great piece of automotive history whose time is past yet remains timeless.

Last edited:
It's understandalbe since the NSX was penned by Pininfarina.

http://www.pininfarina.com/

Cool site if you're interested.

Edit - I always thought the NSX was designed by Pininfarina, but I can't find any evidence on their site. Anyone know for sure?

The NSX was a Honda design. Styling was conducted under Masato Nakano with input from Kazuhiro Ichinose. However, Honda has had a long association with Pinifarina, being responsible for the glamorous, wedge-shaped HP-X prototype.

Source: NSX, Honda's Supercar by Brian Long

Last edited:
The NSX was a Honda design. Styling was conducted under Masato Nakano with input from Kazuhiro Ichinose. However, Honda has had a long association with Pinifarina, being responsible for the glamorous, wedge-shaped HP-X prototype.

Source: NSX, Honda's Supercar by Brian Long

yep; just glad they didn't go with the HP-X direction.
it's said that the nsx's design is based off it to some extent, but i don't see it - other than the "supercar wedge"

honda_hp-x.jpg

i bet that was the shit in the early 80s though.... i wouldn't know.... i was 2 when that concept came out, heh.

Funny story but also very recognisable :smile:

I have had the same experience many times over the last five years.
My first response is always: A Ferrari? Please, don't tell me it's leaking oil :biggrin: :biggrin:
Or something similar to that. Some people will understand what I mean immediately, some need a little explanation.

I'm frequently in Downtown Carmel, CA. Friday afternoon, I parked behind a blue Ferrari along the street. The funny thing was when I was shopping across the street, I notice quite a few people checking out and commenting on my Red NSX and did not even stop to check out the F car. I guess there pretty common in that part of town or something?

There is an area on the river right across from Cincinnati called Newport. It's kind of the social district for Cincinnati. Tropicana is the "high end" bar here if you want to call it that. It's high-end to people from Cincinnati I guess. Anyway, I usually know a valet or 2 and I get my Imola parked right in front of the place in the safest spot. It's a little cut in in the curb that pulls the car the farthest off the road and passing traffic. Anyway, the funny part of the story is that I'm not sure if the valets knew what it was, but I know there was an Aston Martin parked right in front of me and they put cones around MY car so nobody could get close to it. I thought that was pretty hilarious. :biggrin:

not a ferrari? heck, the nsx isn't even a corvette.

i'm fueling my car yesterday when another customer says to me, "nice corvette". i said "it's not a corvette, it's a honda nsx".

"oh, but it's supposed to look like a corvette, right?"

pbassjo was right: it's timeless (and that's what i like most about it.)

Anyway, the funny part of the story is that I'm not sure if the valets knew what it was, but I know there was an Aston Martin parked right in front of me and they put cones around MY car so nobody could get close to it. I thought that was pretty hilarious. :biggrin:

Haha that is too cool. :cool:

Please Honda let Pininfarina design the next NSX.:rolleyes:

I'm frequently in Downtown Carmel, CA. Friday afternoon, I parked behind a blue Ferrari along the street. The funny thing was when I was shopping across the street, I notice quite a few people checking out and commenting on my Red NSX and did not even stop to check out the F car. I guess there pretty common in that part of town or something?

how about because your car was red and the ferrari was blue?
i think the people that have owned a black nsx and now have one with color can vouch. (not me - i just remember hearing somebody say something to that effect.... like, went from a black to a yellow, and it gets a lot more attention or something)

also, what kind of ferrari was it?

Back