• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Owners in Raleigh

Oct 22nd Event- NSX Certified Technician

Mark your calendars - Sunday, Oct 22nd. Noon till ?? We have arranged for a guest speaker at a gathering of Raleigh Area NSX Owners. Steve Gooding, a certified NSX mechanic who has experience with Comptech as well (in Calif) will share his experiences with area NSX owners. The place will be the Sunset Lake Clubhouse off Sunset Lake Road in Holly Springs. Maps and directions will follow later. A bio for Steve follows. We will need to get an idea of attendance, so PM me once you've determined you can make it. We will probably have a light lunch during the afternoon (subway sandwiches, etc) so they'll be a nominal charge for that.

Steve Gooding - Certfied NSX Factory Technician

Steve Gooding is a successful Real Estate Broker/Owner who just happens to be an NSX factory trained technician, an ASC certified master technician, and an Acura Certified Technician. He started with Acura in 1991 in Los Gatos, CA, for the Ted Stevens Dealership Group, where he started specialized NSX training. The first dealership client was Steve Wozniak (who owned 3 NSX’s, including one of the first automatics). Steve attended several training stints in Torrance, CA for NSX training and dismantling. (The first NSX off the production line is sent to tech school and taken apart for training purposes.) While at tech training, Steve also assisted on the tech line to better understand how the process works. Steve changed dealerships within the Ted Stevens Group, and also spent several years at their dealership in Sunnyvale, CA.
A position became available at Hopkins Acura in Redwood City, CA, and Steve took that opportunity as Shop Foreman, and later as Assistant Service Manager. This was a fantastic opportunity because Hopkins Acura was the #1 NSX dealer in the country at the time. They were also a Comptech authorized installation center, covering such things as Superchargers, suspension, and carbon fiber add-ons. This was very different to factory work, but just as enlightening.
During this time, Steve owned P.R.E. (Performance Racing & Engineering). The shop, which primarily serviced Buick Grand Nationals, became very successful, working to modify and preserve the American muscle car.
The cost of living and many other factors brought the Gooding family to North Carolina, where Steve went to work at Autopark Honda and Leith Acura. Here, the number of NSX’s he serviced dropped from 3-4 per week to 1-2 per month. Also, they already had a very qualified technician working on them as well, and Steve and Craig shared the NSX work at the dealership.
Never one to sit idle, Steve opened Realty World Partners, a real estate brokerage firm. This career has given him continued success in business, and keeps him busy. To conitinue servicing the needs of his personal automotive clients, he has a 3-bay shop, a full set of tools, and a hydraulic lift, at his home in Raleigh. This side work enables him to keep his clients happy, and keeps his interest in automotive performance alive as well. Side work is by appointment only, and done mostly in the winter months and in the evenings. Steve does everything from timing belts to clutches to minor suspension work, and even some electrical work. Electrical issues used to be his specialty, but without factory ETM’s, this has been difficult. (If ETM is available, something could be worked out).
Steve looks forward to meeting people with a similar interest in Honda/Acura, and a respect for performance automobiles. Drive hard and stay safe!

Last edited:
I've been looking for a good mechanic -I'm new to the area. the chuckleheads at the local tire shop damaged 2 of my wheels and overfilled the oil during a recent service.

I'll attend unless I travel to see my HOKIES play Southern Miss that weekend.

I will try to make it . Jeff

Jeff,

Need you badly on the 22nd to add a little "silver" to the sea of black and red NSX's. I'm anxious to see your new NSX.

John

I'll be attending as well.
Thanks for organizing the event John.

Hope to see many of the local area NSXers out there.

Cheers.

Max,

Glad to see your response. I met Steve at the Grill 57 cruise and am personally very excited about this event. To me to have an individual with his background, experience and enthusiam for the NSX...right in the neighborhood is quite fortunate.

Have you seen the post about the Saturday trip to Madison? Any chance you can make it. Rain may put a damper on this.

John

Hey all, I should definatly be able to make it! Can't wait!

Hey John, Is the clubhouse right there at the dam on Sunset? Jeff... 5 miles as the crow flies...

Jeff,

Yes, that's it. I will be posting a map with driving instructions later.

But in the meantime for others considering attending, this location is about 9 miles from the Crossroads Shopping Area. Basically you drive Southwest on Holly Springs Road to a left on Sunset Lake Road. Drive a mile down Sunset Lake to the Clubhouse on the right. On the day of I will put some big "NSX" signs out directing everyone.

This will be a rain or shine event. Ideally it will be a beautiful fall day so we can enjoy both standing around our cars as well as listening to Steve in the comfort of the clubhouse which overlooks Sunset Lake.

John

I'm a former owner of a 92 NSX and had Steve G work on mine at both Leith and at his home after he left. He is a stand up guy and I can vouch his quality and knowledge of the NSX. He replaced my snap ring and did ALL the maintenance prior to me selling it a couple of years ago. Also, he's very reasonable, meticulous and a standup honest guy! Currently, I personally endorsed a couple of other NSX owners to him and are still using him when he has enough time away from selling homes. I give him 2 thumbs up and will use him again WHEN I get my Targa!

Steve aka Biaggi

Steve,

Thanks for the comments. Those of us who met Steve initially at the Grill 57 Cruise got a good feeling from the start from Steve. Seems like a great all around guy, very qualified and a real enthusiast...just the type you'd want working on your NSX. We are looking forward to the meet next Sunday.

Feel free to attend if you wish. If you need any directions, let me know. I do plan to post a map with detailed directions mid week for all planning to attend.

John

I'll try to make it as well. Any one seen James? He owes me coffee.

Doug

Re: REMINDER - NSX Owners in Raleigh

Sunday afternoon, Oct 22nd - RAIN or SHINE! Come share the afternoon with Steve Gooding, Certified NSX Technician and all around knowledgeable NSX guy. If it's raining we'll have a great time indoors talking with Steve. Hopefully we'll have some sunshine and can browse the cars...but either way come on out...it's going to be a great NSX day.

Directions - Southwest of Crossroads Shopping Center on Holly Springs Road (about 9 miles) to a left on Sunset Lake Road. Follow 1 mile to the Sunset Lake Clubhouse on the right side just past the bridge. Look for "NSX" signs.

Get Lost ? Call John @ 760-7492.

I will also be attending. This will be a great opportunity for all of the greater Raleigh and surounding area to get together. If anyone would like to bring any show and tell stuff that would be great. I have some DVD's ..one in particular shows the X beating a number of hi hp exotics in a four lap shoot out. see ya...

Russ

Hey, area NSX Owners, looks like a sunny/partly cloudy day in the forecast for Sunday, Oct 22nd. All of us who keep our cars inside on rainy days can now come out for this get together with Steve Gooding, Certified NSX Technician.

Steve, (read his bio above in earlier post) who also worked with Comptech as well (in Calif) will share his experiences and NSX knowledge with area NSX owners. The place will be the Sunset Lake Clubhouse off Sunset Lake Road in Holly Springs.

Directions - From Raleigh/Cary area - Crossroads Shopping Center. Take Holly Springs Road southwest about 9 miles to a left on Sunset Lake Road. Follow about 1 mile (just past the bridge) on the right side. Look for "NSX" signs.

If you need directions from anywhere else, call my cell phone # 760-7492. Location of Sunset Lake Lodge can also be found at http://www.sunset-lake.org.
We will have some snacks, drinks and probably send out for pizza. Remember this is a rain or shine event since we can all gather inside the lodge and talk to Steve...but right now the weatherman seems to be cooperating so we can also hang out around our cars and let Steve tell us who needs their valves adjusted.

Don't miss this fun and informative event. Steve has promised to completely disassemble some lucky owner's NSX (all parts will be boxed, delivered to your garage, then re-assembled at a future event)........just kidding!!!!

So far it looks like we may have at least 10 owners coming. See you there.

Will a non Raleigh owner be allowed? I was hoping to drive down from W-S. Let's hope for better weather than the wash out that happened for the Madison get together.

Looking forward to asking lots of DIY type questions and swapping stories and checking out the mods!

Keith

Keith,

We welcome all NSX enthusiasts. The more the merrier....owner, non-owner, wish they were an owner, etc.

I too have lot's of questions, and from my first encounter with Steve, I know he's got the answers....and is enthisiastic about sharing them.

So far, it looks like the weather is going to cooperate. Partly cloudy, no rain and a very pleasant 72 degrees. Feel free to bring your spouse, a friend or anyone interested.

John

Great news on the weather!

I'll be there with the family support vehicle, the NSX and possibly the neighbor's kid (we might be babysitting while the neighbor's having their 2nd child).

Soo... time to wash, wax and buff.

Cheers and see you soon!

Max

Hi John,

I'm out of town but plan to be back in time to attend some of the fun. Thanks for arranging things. Alan

(I'll grab something to eat on the way)

What is it about NSX owner's gatherings and rain in NC

Great it looks like two for two! Couple of weeks ago the Madison event was a washout and now from out of nowhere, statewide rain for the Raleigh gathering.

I assume the event is still a go? So what's the Raleigh forecast?

Keith

To all,

Today's event is still on, unfortunately it looks like scattered rain all day. For owners who keep their cars out of the rain, grab another vehicle and come on out. The Sunset Lake Lodge is a cozy environment with two fireplaces and a great view of the lake (even when it's cloudy and raining). We talked to Steve Gooding and confirmed that he will be there.

Looking forward to seeing you all.

Call my cell @ 919 760-7492 for questions and further directions.

John Komar

I will be there. Jeff

Damn, saw this post a few weeks ago - and then just came across it again today! If it wasn't noon already, I'd be on my way (coming from Fayetteville). Let us know how it goes!

Back