• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX pedal position

Taj

Experienced Member
I did a search and found that the opinions on the NSX pedals position are wildly spread. I myself found that the NSX accelerator pedal is too far forward and too far apart from the brake pedal with 12 shoe size.

The brake and accelerator pedals on my BMW 3 series (pivot from the floor) are in-line when the brake is depressed so that I can use the side of my shoe to blip the throttle. When I go through the same motion on my NSX, my right foot would not even touch the accelerator pedal.

One of the solutions is to lower the brake pedal and raise the accelerator pedal. I look at the pedal linkages briefly and couldn’t fine any adjustment bolts, screws or locknuts for the accelerator. Is there any adjustment for the accelerator pedal?

My plan B is to lower the brake pedal to the low end of the spec (similar to solution one) and add an after market accelerator pedal to increase the height.

Any suggestion?

taj,
what are u talking about buddy? I wear size 11 and I feel that the accelator and the brake pedal are very close and if you have aftermarket pedals they are even closer like I have in my nsx

Taj, I agree (I wear a 12 also). But more frustrating to me--and this is my biggest NSX ergonomic complaint--is the dead pedal area left of the clutch is too small for my foot with certain shoes on. In order to avoid clipping the clutch pedal, I sometimes have to point my foot in an uncomfortable way...:(

This is a subjective topic as I stated in my first sentence that the opinion is "wildly spread" .

Anyway, is there a gas pedal adjustment? Mine is a 99 with throttle-by-wire. I wonder if the pedal positions on a pre throttle-by-wire (91-94) are the same.

I find that when I need to blip the throttle for heel-and-toe downshfting the brake is depressed, in the middle of the process, to the right height. My only compaint was the pedal spacing (gas too far away) which I solved, like many others, with a set of aftermarket pedals, Momos in my case.

Shoe size? 10

I wear 11 1/2s (generally) and have no problem with "heel and toe" downshifting on my 93. If anything, I feel the pedals are too close together, as I can't wear some shoes (boots, wider dress shoes, etc.) when I drive the NSX. Since I got in the habit of double clutching the downshifts I find that my default brake pedal position will occasionally result in an unintentional throttle blip when coming to a stop based on the close proximity of the pedals.

That said, I think my 325i has better pedal position for heel and toe, but not that much better.

I agree that the dead pedal is not optimal, but I appreciate having something rather than nothing.

I have some anecdotal evidence that the pedal placement may have varied in the early years. My impressions of 91s and 92s over my 93 is that the 91-92 pedals are actually spaced closer together (too close for my tastes) than the 93s. The previous owner of my car had a similar opinion based on his experience with 91s and 92s versus the 93.

I'd have to agree with Taj on this one.

I have a 10.5-11 shoe but don't think it would help even if I wore a 14. The accelerator pedal on my '91 is too close to the floor (or is the brake pedal too high?).
I had a similar problem on my old MR2 Turbo, and I "hacked" it by just bending the pedals into submission. Not the most appropriate way of solving the problem, but effective.

I've been tracking 944 Turbo's and M3's for years and heel-toeing these cars is easy in comparison to the Acura. Even my '94 Integra daily-driver is not set up for heel-toe.

OK, maybe it is a personal preference. You may no trouble heel-and-toeing YOUR NSX, but I too am looking for a solution. Bigger feet?

To answer your original question, yes, there is an adjustment screw to change the position of the accelerator pedal. Look closely at the pedal assembly were it bolts to the firewall and you'll see a small screw with a rubber cover. Pop the rubber item off and the screw head (slotted) and jam nut will be visable, although hard to get to. The screw is a lot easier to turn if you offload/crack the pedal open a bit. Make your adjustments but after make sure to check the throttle cable in the engine compartment for a bit of free play, otherwise you could be in for a surprise when you fire it up. The throttle cable free play is adjusted on the cable where it attaches to the throttle body. Pretty simple. Mark

dead pedal

So I'm not crazy (I think)

Taj, I agree (I wear a 12 also). But more frustrating to me--and this is my biggest NSX ergonomic complaint--is the dead pedal area left of the clutch is too small for my foot with certain shoes on. In order to avoid clipping the clutch pedal, I sometimes have to point my foot in an uncomfortable way...

I though I was the only one with this problem. I can't keep from getting my foot stuck in between the dead pedal and the fender wall. I have to turn my foot over on it's side. Very uncomfortable, but what is worse is when I do this I can't properly brace myself into the seat with my left foot. If Plant my left foot flat on the dead pedal, now I can't pull it out fast enough (sounds like a personal problem) to step on the clutch. I wish there was a way to shift the clutch pedal over a tiny bit, although I'm not sure how much room there is on the other side. Any thoughts?

John

PS. Sorry I am a little off topic (just a little though)

Mark911,

Mine is a 99 with throttle-with-wire and there is no cable attached. I am going to check it out again tonight. Even if I can find any adjustment screw, I don't know if I could actually reach it. The footwell is just too tight. Most likely it is easier to install an aftermarket accelerator pedal and put a spacer in between the aftermarket pedal and stock pedal to gain height.

If I don't pay attention to which car I am driving, I end up depressing the brake too much to blip when I drive the NSX. I will take a trip to the Acura dealer and check out the spec of the pedal position in a shop manual.

By the way, is your Bellflower right next to Lakewood, Cerritos and Long Beach?

Well, the fly by wire might change things a bit, but I suspect that Honda made provisions to adjust your throttle pedal position just like any self respecting sports car should. However, instead of adjusting the throttle cable after the pedal position is determined you'll probably need to adjust the transducer which senses throttle pedal position to avoid a high idle situation. You just got to get your head way down under the dash and study the situation. The solutions are usually pretty obvious.

Yes, that's the "frendly city" of Bellflower as you described. I don't see a lot of NSXs around this area (including Lakewood where I lived before) and my car is usually in the garage except for track days, but if you see a red 93 in and about, it's probably me.

The dead pedal....

I thought that I was the only one who had problems with the position of the dead pedal.... I have to turn my shoe (size 13) at a funky angle also to get it to fit .... I think it is easier to put my foot on the carpeted area just to the left and above the rubber pedal. I guess all of the engineers who designed the car had small feet!

Hmmm..... big feet.... sometimes a blessing..... sometimes a curse..... ;)

It must be a pedal change on the newer NSX's. On my 92, I have to be careful which shoes I'm wearing. Some of my shoes are too wide and hit the brake pedal when I push the accelerator...the pedals are VERY close together. Size 11 shoe.

I do have Momo pedals on the clutch and brake, but had to take off the gas one because it was even CLOSER then...lol

SR

Boostin NSX said:
I'm a size 14 shoe, and am thinking of getting a NSX, will their be any problems when I get mine ?

I wear size 13 shoes, and my 91 pedals are VERY close. Actually, my shoe just fits in between the clutch pedal and the trans tunnel wall (i.e., where the accelerator pedal is). [Wait... there's no trans tunnel. What function does that tunnel/wall serve?] I'm sure I brush the brake pedal all the time if I don't pay attention. My accelerator pedal is lower than the brake pedal, and my foot can just sit in that narrow "channel" to operate the gas.

Sorry, I am a front engine RWD V-8 guy, so I'll just call the passenger partition area the "trans tunnel."

What to do? Well, there is some padding in between the accelerator pedal and the "trans tunnel." Maybe that could be removed or reduced. Also, possibly modify that "trans tunnel" to give more room?

Back