• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX powered drag car update

The AEM Civic drag car just took the Pro RWD win at the NHRA season opener in Florida. The car has been running consistantly 6.5 ETs @ 210+ MPH in the quarter mile powered by none other than the same V6 found in our NSXs (just slightly modified).

mini-_MG_8156.jpg

mini-_MG_8157.jpg

mini-_MG_8512.jpg

There are several street NSX builds happening as we speak that use very similar technology to this drag car. I would say it is a very good example of how far we can take our NSX motors - you could take any C30 or C32 block and make an exact internal replica of the motor shown.

Racing is a great form of R&D for the end consumer.

All that AEM sponsor money and Papadakis can't sport a red billet AEM oil cap? :biggrin:

I have to give him this: Adam S. busted his ass and still couldn'g get this motor to run this good!

Devin, what street builds are you refering to? While the standard build up looks straight foward, a lot of what I see on Steve's car seems to depend on the engine being front mounted. On our NSX's the space constraints are overwhelming.

can you guys slap that engine in my car....you guys can use my car for FREE!! :biggrin:

The motor in the AEM civic is 100% reproducible by the consumer. Sleeves, pistons, rods, hardware, etc are parts that are available to the public if you do a little bit of research. Hang a GT42R or equivalent under the car as many companies to date have done, and your 1000hp+ goals are within reach.

There are two street builds that I know of happening (one on the west coast, one in the midwest) right now using very similar parts and carefully thought out assembling techniques - it is not my place to spill the beans. I just think it is exciting for the community to have this kind of R&D happening that would potentially make a reliable "run-of-the-mill" 600 - 700whp NSX a reality.

There is a great company by the way that is bringing an awesome turbo kit to market for the NSX (I'll leave it up to them to chime in) that should prove to make builds like the above mentioned very obtainable. The owner of this company has a very nicely built C30 motor I saw in person that will prove to hold that 1000hp easily.

Hmm... sounds great! I personally would rather see a reliable 450HP turbo upgrade for 5-6K. 1000HP is nice for bragging rights, but It is hard enough to keep my 400+ on the road. I think now I understand why porsche and lambo use AWD :)

NetViper said:
Hmm... sounds great! I personally would rather see a reliable 450HP turbo upgrade for 5-6K.
Before everyone starts dreaming about a 400rwhp turbo kit for 6K, let me repeat what I have said in the past - Forget about it!. Start thinking more along the lines of 10K plus gauges.

KGP said:
Before everyone starts dreaming about a 400rwhp turbo kit for 6K, let me repeat what I have said in the past - Forget about it!. Start thinking more along the lines of 10K plus gauges.

A man can dream, Gene! :biggrin:

NetViper said:
Hmm... sounds great! I personally would rather see a reliable 450HP turbo upgrade for 5-6K. 1000HP is nice for bragging rights, but It is hard enough to keep my 400+ on the road. I think now I understand why porsche and lambo use AWD :)

Wait a minute!!! You have 400+ HP? What? Did you? Couldn't be...
You bought a supercharged car? I know my luck is going to change now. :biggrin:

Welcome to the Fast and the Addicted. (As well as broke.)

On topic. Give me the 1000HP and an advanced traction control system and I would be in love. (I know I am dreaming)

JC, and his crew at AEM really have that car dialed. It has been amazing watching them evolve over the past few years with this platform. Without JC's advice a few years back we would not be at the level we are at now.

On the topic of the 1,000hp NSX, building the block to withstand the power is not that much of a problem, putting it to the ground with reliability is the real issue. Rebuilt trannys, axles, etc every few months does get tiresome as well as 4k clutches. Hopefully, some other companies that are shooting for the 1k hp street mark will spend the R&D to build a bullet proof streetable 1k hp tranny(maybe an auto for the 1/4).

KGP said:

I saw something that made me laugh a while ago that someone quoted:

Fast. Cheap. Reliable. Pick two.

On topic. Give me the 1000HP and an advanced traction control system and I would be in love. (I know I am dreaming)[/QUOTE]

Not really, the AEM EMS seems to have the traction issue pretty well solved. There is a twin turbo viper rolling around with something like 1000++ tq to the wheels, that can hook up on street tires... There is a video online somewhere. It does take a lot of "tuning", but traction can be had.

I remember reading about this NSX powered civic about 2 years ago. Glad to hear things have worked out so well for u guys. Time to release a nice street upgrade kit.

210 in the quarter is just rockin'....amazing how fast things are now evolving, Ara and George must be having a fit. Most wouldn't have thought the C30 would end up eclipsing the 2JZ. As for the street cars....i'm curious if you FXE guys feel the automatic can be built up to handle the power...seems to me that there are limitations with the physical layout but I wonder how much room there is for more clutches within the factory unit or how much line pressure it will handle reliably. Nice to have a mid engine, but then again it kind of kills the idea of machining an adapter and dropping a TH400 in there :).

Once again props to John Concialdi and the AEM crew.

- Jon

Devin@AEM said:
... I just think it is exciting for the community to have this kind of R&D happening that would potentially make a reliable "run-of-the-mill" 600 - 700whp NSX a reality.

Very Interesting. I also think it is fantastic to have this R&D happening on the NSX motor... However, 600-700 is a bit much for the NSX. I know the motor "can" make that sort of power, however as Factor X have found out the rest of the drive train cannot take it.

Currently, we have an 800hp NSX in Australia. The gearbox has had to be replaced with a racing gearbox with straight cut gears to handle the power but the drive shafts/axles are snapping now. :rolleyes:

I know after the first twin turbo NSX engine in Australia was built (in 1994)and then run in the Targa Tasmania, Honda technicians from Japan came out to Australia to have a look at the car. In their words, they had never seen an NSX develop over 500hp reliably! At that stage the car was developing 550hp and still had a completely standard drive train except for a heavy duty clutch (40% increase in force).

So, IMHO, I think 400-500 will be the ideal aiming point for a run-of-the-mill turbo set-up if you still want the daily driven reliability the NSX is known for. Any more and you will be looking at some major modifications to the drivetrain.

I hope there can be a clean fitting turbo kit that will be reliable coming soon. Come on guys someone put it out there ;)

Back