• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Price Bloat

Yeh be patient

This is probably just becuase in my older family life I am now able to fully entertain the dream of finally getting an NSX.

But what's with the NA1 entry fees in the upper $20's.

I understand under 50K miles but I've been looking for a high mileage daily driver to purchase and the asking prices are too high.

I don't want to offend people by under bidding thier ask by 8-10K.

But for instance, this car here by byang
1991 Red/Black, 88K, JH4NA1153MT001018 asking $27K/bo

The car has seen some issues, is bone stock but generally just what I'm looking for. (prefer black though :) )
and the kbb puts it under $20K which is exactly what I think it should be going for and I'd be just a couple steps from calling the truck to pick it up if it was.

I know the feeling of some prime members that people being able to join the club for under 20K might not feel so good, but heck...

(just whining a little I guess, sry)

Be patient when you find the right car you will buy it.. Like this

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87794

$32k with 15k miles or you can buy one with 90k miles for 29k hmmm

The fact of the matter is that the North American economy is going to tank in the near future...those who are desperate to sell their toys will do so at a cost to themselves! I do not believe that the early NSX models will slide on price - as those who do not need to sell them will hold onto them...the same goes to all collector cars! I believe that the high-end aspect of collecting...be it cars or golden-age comic books...will tail off. The price of owning a rare exotic will remain high - if paying $29,000.00 is high to you...hopefully it is...lol...then you fall into the average consumer...lol...Change is comig...foreclosure rates in Califronia are going through the roof!!! I live in the oil zone of Calgary...and the oil pigs are spending like whores!!! Thats always been the sign here that the end is coming...lol...When extra money becomes scarce - then toy purchases will diminish...and those that can afford to hold onto their toys will do so...and this will keep some semblance of sanity to the pricing of the NSx and other exotics...one has to remember that the NSX is reliable...Ferraris and Lamborghinis are not...they will be harder to sell and their prices will be less stable.

Dam:cool:

Would it be possbile that in the years 2011-2012, 1990-1992 NSX will be also priced 13k-15k?
That is 50~60%% off current market value in a relatively short period of time:
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/BuySell/pricing.htm

2011~2012 is only a few years away, that price is highly unlikely for a none salvage title NSX. If that happens, it make more sense parting out the car and sell parts. Price of all years of NSX will also be affected. I don't see later model ever drop past $40k. I don't see it happen ever, not with the newer cars getting more and more expensive. BMW, LEXUs, Mercedes, Ferrari, etc. MSRP is keeping on climbing. Even in unlikely event the car drop to $15k. I absolutely will not sell my even if someone offer 130% of my invesntment in cash. I believe a lot of NSX owners feel the same way. One day I like to buy another NA1 coupe in GPW with flip up headlights (I still love the styling), and build an jaw dropping turbo version.

I checked ebay today, to my surprise and amazement, there are a grand total of 11 NSXes, WOW!!. I remember 4 years ago, you easily see 30~40 NSXes on ebay at any given time. Cars are not getting any more common, look around, everyone and their mother want one, look around in other car forums, I have nver seen more eagarness and demand for used NSX.

There are always faster and newer cars coming out, the price of new car are also getting higher and higher. People who buy NSX are not because of pure power or speed. Other wise any 02+ owner can buy a ass rapping Z6 Z06. NA1 owners can easily fiance a Z6 Z06 with $30k down.

Porsche 993, 996 have relatively large production number over total of NSX after 15 years combined.

Even the 308, and 328s are holding the value. Mint condtion 328s still go for $40k~$50k. What was their original sticker price? Even the 348 is still going for more than $30k

I believe these are world wide production #s, even if you divide it by 2 still relatively large number:
Total 360's produced over 5 years-17,500
Coupes Total - 10,000
Standard Coupes - 8,500
Challenge Stradales- 1,200
Race Cars - 300
Spiders - 7,500

Total production number of F355-11,206
F355B 4915
F355GTS 2577
F355 Spider 3714

Total Production numbers for 308-~12,000

Porsche:
The production nubmers in 2~3 year span of a given 911 top total NSX producton # of 15 years.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Look at it, a clean Supra still sell for $30k+. A clean FD in white, I would gladly take that over my S2K, impossible to find nice ones that would meet my standard. Even a really...clean Z32 Turbo will get very good price and sell relatively fast. NSX is NSX, in my 4 year of ownership, I know how difficult it is to find clean ones. I say about 1 out of 2 we see on Southern Cal are in B- to D condition. NSX also have huge potential customer base. Many kids are like existing nsx owners before we got ours. We all had a dream car. You know what I am talking about. Think about the JDM fans. A lot of Supra guys move onto NSX as well. The first true Japanese exotic will always have its place in automotive history. No matter if there is a 500hp, 600hp, 700hp NSX replacement in the future.

Vance,

That is the major reason, but not the only reason. You might think early nsx owners are low, but I can assure you. If for any unknown reason that I have to find a replacement. I actually have always been thinking of back up. Hac, Mike, Tom. Who else? If Dan/NA1/NA2-R'S NSX is availabe, you and Serialnsxer's NSX is also available at same price. I would take Dan's without even blink. Why because it meets my criteria.

That depends, timing + right buyer. I personally think $75k is exactly what his NSX is worth. He could had sold the mods individually and get most of the money back. Most of his bloated price is from labor. Other than NSX-R suspension, CTSC, I don't find any of his mods desirable. Given same car even with CTSC I would still rather have Dan's NSX.

Take Dan for example, paid $50k+ for his NA1 with R conversion. I think he got unbelievable steal. If I do get unlucky someday. I will go straight to him and offer him quite a bit more than what he paid.

That doesn't say much, not what i have seen.

Correct me if I am wrong, I remember in your own words car salesman are losers and stupid. I can actually honestly tell you that a lot of car saleman don't know shit about cars they sell. In many cases we actually tell them a lot about cars they have on the lot than what they know.

Let me give you a final example, you told me "Jason, why didn't you bought a sport model Rolex. Why, because I bought what I wanted, I started a thread with 3 models and I stick to my gun got what I wanted. Explorer II, GMT master II are whopping $250 more new. Like new used ones are $1000 less. So you figure. People buy what they want, not what people think they should buy. Logical or not, I almost never lose money on things I bought.
Jason, you and Dan have exceptional cars, they are the few out there worth the the extra $$. But we are not talking about that.

$20 grand difference is quite large for today’s market. $30 grand (91-94) vs. $55 grand (02+). Therefore, conscious buyers will buy into the cheaper price range if that’s all they can afford. BUT, we are not talking about today, the original post was asking questions about years down the road. Perhaps, five, perhaps ten. The point is, if you believe the 1991-93 cars will continue to be worth around $30K, plus or minus a few, how much would a 05 NSX be? The price continue to drop, in fact, 02 plus cars are worth about 10 grand less than this time a year ago.

Criteria are one thing, some people like to have a coupe, but if you think about it, few actually use it for the track. In that case, a coupe will be more desirable. Again, that’s just few I have seen so far. For those who just want a comfortable, none/few mods clean NSX, eventually, earlier cars will not be in the category, due to mileage, record, etc. You may make an argument about what just said because when that happens, there will be fewer low mileage clean cars out there, which will make the car worth more, and I agree with you, but majority of them out there will not be nearly as clean as your/Dan’s NSX, which should demand more money.

If you think RyanITV’s car is worth around $75k, that’s not much more than what a 05 is worth; therefore, the Type R conversion: Procar Hood/Spoiler, Wheels, Suspension, body work, CTSC doesn’t worth any thing in your opinion? That's probably 30 grand worth of extra, and he didn't get much of it back. His car was the closest thing to my and 3 years newer. AND it only had 2k miles when sold. I agreed the timing is every thing, but he had the car on the market for a very long time, and that’s all he can get for it.

Every one of us would like to believe our car is worth every penny we ask for (when put it up in the market); however, since there are more lower price range buyers, the cheaper cars will exchange hands faster.

I do highly disagree with you regarding the NA1/NA2/02 spec being “almost” identical car. I guess basically they were built from the same platform, but the later models do have plenty of invisible but essential upgrades, which most people over look. Eric will tell you if he can afford a 02 plus car, he will be driving one in a heartbeat.

As for Dan, does he want an 02 plus, I never ask him, I don’t know, but I know there are certain parts I own he cannot put into his car, at least not cost effective. Type R ECU, 3.2, six cogs, etc.

A car is only worth what people are willing to pay, you used the Rolex analogy, I’ll use the S2k analogy. You had a budget when shopping for your S2k, but you ended up spending thousands more because you couldn’t find one that match your price vs. condition. At the end of the day, if a person want a particular car (not dreaming about a car that is completely out of the price range), he/she will do what ever he/she can to get it, regardless the price. In my case, I opt for an 02 plus, because I know that was the last evolution for my dream car. In the future, when I have more moola, I may buy another NSX just for daily driver over my currant S2k, but I will have to think really hard if I want a high mileage coupe. If the timing is right, a 91 to 94 surface up with very little miles and in great condition, it may very well be my choice. But for now, I will not drop $30 grand for a car that has around 100k miles.

The NSX is not listed in the dealer's black book. There are just not enought out there in circulation. It is like a supra, syclone, grand national, typhoon, and other rare cars of the early and late 90's...you have to pay a premium to get them.

Vance,

I am not arguing to make you mad man, trust me on that. The friendship worth more than the NSX. You know I have no self control, if I have things in my mind I have to say it.

My point really is pricing as a whole is a bit unfair, I see your point with above post. The price guide on page 99 of hyper rev have +/-1.5million yen based on condition and criteria.

Yes there are ones that will go for $20k based on milegae and condition (some already did) and ones command premium with little mileage and well taken care cars. Same as S2K, there are some AP1s going for $12k, yet perfect AP1 in the color I wanted still go as high as $22k. I actually got rejected twice with my offer of $21.5k and $22.5k for an AP1 across the Mitsubishi dealership in Costa Mesa, they didn't even asked me for my phone#.

the Type R conversion: Hood, Spoiler, Wheels, Suspension, body work, CTSC doesn’t worth any thing in your opinion?
I stand corrected, I over looked those items. The hood, spoilder, suspension, CTSC. Especailly the wheels are highly, I mean highly desirable:biggrin:. One day, I will get a set of my own. It is too bad he didn't part out the goodies.

I do highly disagree with you regarding the NA1/NA2/02 spec being “almost” identical car. I guess basically they were built from the same platform, but the later models do have plenty of invisible but essential upgrades, which most people over look. Eric will tell you if he can afford a 02 plus car, he will be driving one in a heartbeat.
Of course, the exterior alone is huge...difference, 6spd and 3.2l account for majory of difference though. You are a big influence on him, for majority of nsx owners I have absolute no doubt they would buy 02+ if money is no objective. I really would love to have a 97~01 coupe even if I have to go though another conversion process. I actually want another 91~94 and keep the flip ups as a project car, slap on NSX-R wheels on those, and good to go, the body doesn't need any mods.

In my case let me make one example that is believable because price is closer. Lets just say between 95~96 and a 91~92. Given they are same price. I absolutely will not even give 95~96 a thought, if I want a T, I suck it up and get at least 97.

BTW. I checked my grade today, look like all I need is 50% on final for an A. The stress since last Thursday was so enormous, dropping by for a good cigar on Thursday I think:biggrin:

I'm not arguing and I'm not mad. Just my 2 yen's worth and if a guy is asking a question on a public forum, I'll let people know what's on my mind.

So no hard feelings bro, even though we don't alway agree on the same subject, but the stuff we agree on... Boba tea, Korean BBQ, chicks..lol Is good:biggrin: \\Good times bro!!!

I'm not arguing and I'm not mad. Just my 2 yen's worth and if a guy is asking a question on a public forum, I'll let people know what's on my mind.

So no hard feelings bro, even though we don't alway agree on the same subject, but the stuff we agree on... Boba tea, Korean BBQ, chicks..lol Is good:biggrin: \\Good times bro!!!
Yes, no hard feelings:biggrin:, seriously, not joking lol. We are religious on cars, but friendship is far more valuable.

how much would a 05 NSX be? The price continue to drop, in fact, 02 plus cars are worth about 10 grand less than this time a year ago.
I do have to add another opinion.

The price of 02+ will stabilize, as they are relatively new. First few years are where the majority of depreciation take place on a new car. The older cars have been around so long.

The price of the different years are co-related. If I am a consumer who happen to be able to afford an 02+ but also happen to be kinda cheap and enter the market for "97~01" NSX in $45k~$50k range. There is very good chance that I might suck it up and spend the extra dollar and go 02+ after some research. Reason is simple, assuming I like the updated look, at this price point, it is worth spending that extra $10~$15k, you get a lot for the difference, that is bang for the buck. In the long term the value will hold.

I have the feeling the original poster took the point a long time ago. But … this post got me thinking. Dug out the old Auto Trader magazines looking for a trend, and here are real-world examples of what I found:

From June 16, 2001:
’91 5-speed, black-tan, Fita Pauldi wheels, 91K mi, “excellent” cond. -- $25,000. This car was still for sale in the Aug. edition.

From Aug. 4, 2001:
’91 5-speed, red-black, no mods, 60K mi “exc cond.” $28,800.

From Dec 29, 2001:
’91 5-speed, red-black, original, 56K mi, $33,500.
’92 5-speed, silver-black, original, 49K mi, “Perfect Cond.” $32,750.
’92 5-speed, white-black, “no mods, exc. Condn.” 53K mi. $32,500.

Who knows what the cars actually sold for, but price-wise these ads look a lot like ones running today, if not a little low. And if you’d like to use these numbers and contemporary numbers to extrapolate values 6 years into the future, be my guest. It will be interesting to see what actually happens. One final note is that the last few times I’ve picked up Auto Trader here (Houston), I haven’t noticed any NSX’s.

for majority of nsx owners I have absolute no doubt they would buy 02+ if money is no objective.

You forget that many of us have little or no interest in a Targa. For me and others, the Coupe is the only way to go.

I wouldn't unless there was a way to put the pre 02 pop-up headlights on.
You could actually. I did said "assume" in my post, don't take it for the face value, there are many owners who actually prefer pop ups (looks great either way), just as many prefer Targa over coupe. It is a two way thing, no right or wrong.

Buy an 02 and you can do the flip up conversion and make money. Make a post and asking to trade 02 headlights, hood, bumper for pre-02s. Your mail box will explode. You can probably even ask $4k~$5k cash on top of pre-02 parts for your items.

You forget that many of us have little or no interest in a Targa. For me and others, the Coupe is the only way to go.
I used 97~01 for the example, because coupe for these years are virtually impossible to get and the price is closer to 02+. It meant pre 02 targa for 02+ targa, If I were to use 91~94 as example, that would be too one sided statement and not much of credibility due to price difference.

You are certainly not alone. 9 out 10 in Japan went for coupe from year 1997and up. In fact NSX-T in Japan is rarer than NA1-R and almost as rare as NA2-R.

NSX-R, GT3, 360CS all for one thing in common, racing spirit+weight reduction. You can't really undo a Targa but you can swap the motor if necessary, not that C30A is weak by any mean, probably 8 of 10 most powerful NSX in USA are running modded C30A. 20hp is too small of difference. Tall gearing is actually very good if you got power to match it. Asides 1~2 shift. The tall gearing of 5spd is great for rolling acceleration from 50mph and up. Rolling 50~118mph only require 1 shift, you be shockingly amazed how easly and little time required it will get up to 165mph+ by just adding a little more power. I have done it several times within a very very short distance.

I have driven plenty of coupe and "T" cars. Unless I intend to track my car, I don't mind the "T." However, with the top on, it is really not that much difference from a coupe, and I have the option of taking it off. You do however, loose a little head room if you're tall guy.

I have driven plenty of coupe and "T" cars. Unless I intend to track my car, I don't mind the "T." However, with the top on, it is really not that much difference from a coupe, and I have the option of taking it off. You do however, loose a little head room if you're tall guy.

Either is a fine choice. It all depends what you want. I track my cars and have a welded Mugen harness/roll bar that stiffens the coupe even more.

"NSX Price Bloat"?

100% WRONG.

Nice coupes are screaming deals in the low 30's.
Toss out the duds & bubble cars and thats what they go for!

What could you possibly buy for that little that even comes close?

Nothing..........

"NSX Price Bloat"?

100% WRONG.

Nice coupes are screaming deals in the low 30's.
Toss out the duds & bubble cars and thats what they go for!

What could you possibly buy for that little that even comes close?

Nothing..........

For the sake of person who posted this topic. Please define "Nice" coupes.

Honda has a 20 year spare part production guarantee. Meaning that they will make parts for the NSX till 2025, at least. After 2025 it starts to depend on the demand. :cool:

So there is nothing to worry about yet :smile:

Honda cars 20 years
Honda motorcycles 15 years.

Eventually Honda will quit supplying new parts, but they did just finish production less than 2 years ago. Plenty of parts will be available from those that are wrecked in coming years.

"For the sake of person who posted this topic. Please define "Nice" coupes"

A "low A" or "B" car. As there still out there, no use buying a fixer.
They do seem to be getting harder to find though based on what I read here.
Super nice examples seem to still trade in the mid to upper 30's with a few in the low 40's.

Honda has a 20 year spare part production guarantee. Meaning that they will make parts for the NSX till 2025, at least. After 2025 it starts to depend on the demand. :cool:

So there is nothing to worry about yet :smile:

Honda cars 20 years
Honda motorcycles 15 years.

Are you sure about that? Some parts for the earlier cars are already not available anymore. :frown:

I don't know of anyone who paid less than KBB. I paid about $2500 above KBB for mine. If someone paid less than KBB, please speak up.

I got mine right at KBB value too..... maybe I'm just good at haggling? hehe

Also one thing we have to remember, the KBB values will change depending on the zip code you use... as much as $5K difference between LA and ATL for example... its pretty amazing.

Are you sure about that? Some parts for the earlier cars are already not available anymore. :frown:

My cousin's husband is one of the big managers at the Torrance Honda Factory in the parts depertment. They are visiting Hawaii in a month or two so I can ask him then unless someone finds the answer by then.

My cousin's husband is one of the big managers at the Torrance Honda Factory in the parts depertment. They are visiting Hawaii in a month or two so I can ask him then unless someone finds the answer by then.

Please do. That would be great to get some "official" word.

In any case, I do know through experience that some tan and ivory interior parts for '91-'94 are no longer available.

Back