• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Prime "cribs editon" pic post!

Its quite cozy and the fishing is great!

attachment.php

This is my neighbors house

attachment.php

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 953
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 949
Mine has room for two and gets 21mpg. And I don't pay property tax! :biggrin:

eclipse_house.jpg

Well I built this little hunting cabin complete with a boat house up in Alex bay. It's just for a month in the summer.

The house
aerialtop.png

The boat house

181541725_2c4ce564d9.jpg

Not sure who here knows the real story about this house/castle but it is amazing. The house was being built in the very early 1900's as a surprise for the wife of the owner of the Waldorf Astoria. There were hundreds of workers hired to complete the job. The guys wife suddenly and unexpectedly died. The construction was stopped and the husband never set foot on the island again. It is the Boldt Castle in Alexandria bay New York if anyone want to check it out.

Here is an official rendering

A "Gilded Age" estate built for a tragic love
An aura of romance seems to surround the five-acre Boldt Castle estate in the Thousand Islands, just offshore from Alexandria Bay, New York. Stone by stone, Boldt Castle was built for love, but it was a love that ended tragically.
Boldt Castle is not a real castle, of course, but a fairy tale version of one. It's a jigsaw puzzle of medieval and Victorian styles pieced together by the firm of W.D. Hewitt and G.W. Hewitt - the same architects who designed the fanciful Druim Moir castle in Philadelphia.

Like many homes from America's Gilded Age, the eleven-building complex is exuberant and outrageous, as though its creators had taken five hundred years of architectural history and spilled it across the craggy island.

Legend has it that multi-millionaire George Boldt ordered the castle built as a testimonial of his love for his wife, Louise. She was only fifteen when they married, and she had worked at his side during his climb to wealth and prominence. Boldt planned to present the castle to Louise on Valentine's Day, 1905.

Of all the grand summer homes in the Thousand Islands, Boldt Castle was to be the most magnificent. More than 300 artisans, masons, stonecutters, landscapers, and other craftsmen were hired. The Alster Tower would be a gigantic playhouse with a bolling alley, a billiard room, a library, bedrooms, and kitchen areas.

The Power House would hold a steam-powered generator for power and lights. The Yacht House would shelter the family houseboat and boats from visitors. But the crowning jewel would be a 120-room home modeled after a Rhineland castle and furnished with paintings, sculptures, mosaics, and tapestries from around the world.

This grand design was never completed, however. Construction halted when a sudden tragedy struck the young family.

One year before Boldt castle was to be completed, Louise, aged 41, died. George Boldt stopped the construction and never returned to the island. Vandals broke windows, covered walls with graffiti, and stripped buildings of ornamental details. Roofs leaked, timbers deteriorated, plaster peeled from walls. A fire destroyed all but the stone shell of the Powerhouse.

For the next seventy years, the castle sat abandoned. Stones were strewn across the lawn and pigeons cooed plaintively from rotting rafters.

There is, however, a happy ending. In 1977 the Thousand Islands Bridge Authority acquired the estate and began restorations. Windows and roofs were repaired. The Power House was rebuilt and the ballroom was converted into a museum. Couples came to be wed.

Every summer you will see the wedding couples sail down the Saint Lawrence River, glide beneath an arched water gate modeled after Roman monuments, and say their vows on a stone bridge leading to a fanciful assembly of peaked turrets.

Perhaps the couples are drawn by the romantic story surrounding the castle. Or, perhaps, they sense that the mismatched towers and quirky ornaments say something important about love.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not so sure about the feb 14th gift of the house. I can't imagine the guy going through all the trouble to build something so beautiful and then give it away when it looks like this.....
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/1410754674061847443fTBeUS

Last edited:
I thought that was YOUR house!?? :)

I visited there in 2001 when I had to go to a wedding in Alexandria. Fun little town and the castle is pretty amazing even though the majority of the interior was never finished. I wouldn't want to play hide and seek there :).

I thought that was YOUR house!?? :)

I visited there in 2001 when I had to go to a wedding in Alexandria. Fun little town and the castle is pretty amazing even though the majority of the interior was never finished. I wouldn't want to play hide and seek there :).

Yeah we allow the occassional visitors. :biggrin:

Seriously, you should go back and visit, they are fixing it up, Flip that Castle style!

The best part was after not even 2 minutes with the worm on the hook, I caught a 5 pound bass right off the balcony of my hotel room

639320356_c586cda060.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah we allow the occassional visitors. :biggrin:

Seriously, you should go back and visit, they are fixing it up, Flip that Castle style!

The best part was after not even 2 minutes with the worm on the hook, I caught a 5 pound bass right off the balcony of my hotel room

Nice...I grew up sailing around the 1000 islands. My parents are members of the Clayton Yacht Club...and they're actually building a cottage up there right now...I think it's up by Alex Bay. The Boldt castle has come a long way over the years...it was in TOTAL RUIN when I first started going there about 25 years ago. It looks a lot better now.

Can't wait to get out there next summer when the cottage is finished...some of the best fishing I've ever seen is up there!

I have to wonder how much they ended up selling that place for if it was that run down.....it would be the ultimate 'fixer-upper'.

I started out a lil slow.

luxury_homeless_condo.jpg

Worked up to this nice pot

3b6d7da3-15dc-40a9-90d4-afaf05bb1c35.jpg

Decided to go mobile a few years later

jamesnewtruck.jpg

Decide to join the Green movment with my lil' ol' contribution here
2.jpg

Built this beauty during my "down years" in rehab
blueweirdhouse.jpg

My first "natural" attempt at using a copter with a bucket of wet sand

seattle_homes.jpg

Made it big in the dot com bust and retired here!

kremlin_buildings.jpg

you guys are halarious! :tongue:

It's not huge, but I have 12 car garage out back. Being in CA, it only cost me $1.35M :tongue:

Shack%20-%20vertical%208x10%20300%20dpi.jpg

Sorry Kid. I had to do it. :biggrin: :tongue:
I'm sure others will post some nice pics of their real cribs. :smile:
You know I tried to buy that but way out of my price range.:frown:

View from the dining table .. :)

167678241-L.jpg

Hey, That's lake louise, right!?

So, you are the owner of Chateau Lake Louise, huh? I had brunch at exact same spot in middle of snow storm. :) your employees served good food. ;)

Right, but I am sure they had to pay something for it initially.

I am not sure about that. Did you read the story about how it was left unfinished? The castle was pretty much abandoned. I think the state got it for free.

There is another castle a little further up the river known as Singer castle, built by the family who started Singer sewing machine. Singer castle had people living in it until just a few years ago. It was sold to a religious organization for 1 dollar becasue the owner was pissed about paying such high taxes.:biggrin:

If you have the time 1000 islands is a great place to see. When I am there I can really feel the history and the wealth of the people who made the place famous in the early 1900's. It still is a play ground for the rich and famous.

I am not sure about that. Did you read the story about how it was left unfinished? The castle was pretty much abandoned. I think the state got it for free.

If you have the time 1000 islands is a great place to see. When I am there I can really feel the history and the wealth of the people who made the place famous in the early 1900's. It still is a play ground for the rich and famous.

As far as I know, the 1000 islands bridge authority bought the castle back in the late 70's for $1...something weird like that. They've spent a crapload since. When I used to visit, you could just pull up on your boat and walk around...everything was falling apart, tons of graffiti, etc etc. Now it's amazing.

You have to see it in person to appreciate the true size/immensity of this thing...talk about a grand scale. I still have pictures floating around somewhere from the mid 80's...it doesn't even look the same anymore.

We used to be neighbors to some of the relatives of the Morgans and Rockefellers up there. Oh, and some of the Dodges are up there as well. Interesting stuff.

boldt-castle.jpg

Back