• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Primer and Bicyclist?

NSX and Bicyclist in Tucson??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am going to be in Tucson on November 17th - 20th for the Tour De Tucson bicycle event. Any chance there is another NSX Primer in Tucson that is riding this event? I will be flying in and staying at a hotel, and looking to hook up with someone or a group doing the 111 mile ride on Saturday. My pace is 14 - 16 MPH.

I live in St. Louis, Missouri, this will be my first Tour De Tucson looking forward to it and hope I can hook up with a group ahead of time.

Alan Jones

NSX and Bicyclist in Tucson??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am going to be in Tucson on November 17th - 20th for the Tour De Tucson bicycle event. Any chance there is another NSX Primer in Tucson that is riding this event? I will be flying in and staying at a hotel, and looking to hook up with someone or a group doing the 111 mile ride on Saturday. My pace is 14 - 16 MPH.

I live in St. Louis, Missouri, this will be my first Tour De Tucson looking forward to it and hope I can hook up with a group ahead of time.

Alan Jones

Hi Alan,

I'm not from the area, but I did that ride several years ago. If you haven't done it before, here are two things I learned that might help:

1. It was pretty warm the year I did it. To my surprise, they didn't have sports drink at most rest stations.. just water. Unless that has changed, bring some packets of powdered mix.

2. Don't ride on the shoulder of the road. A ton of people flat on that ride from debris on the shoulders. There are all kinds of little thorns and stuff. Ride out where the tires from the cars keep the lanes clean. If the route is still the same as when I did it, you cross through a wash. Get off and walk your bike the whole way, don't try to ride it until you are on clean pavement because the sand/dirt is also full of little thorns.

Have fun! It's a nice ride. Definitely the biggest I've ever participated in.

Last edited:
I'm an avid cyclist, but an injury has kept me off of the bike for most of this year. I'm riding in the tour, though, but I'm going to be doing the 42-mile one with my wife and friends. This will be my first one, too, so I don't have a lot of advice.

The weather is going to be nice temperature-wise, but there might be some winds later on in the day to deal with. There should be enough riders out there (8,000+) to grab a draft off of to mitigate this, though!

Have fun this weekend! PM me on here if you get in town and need anything.

Chuck

Back