• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX-R 02-05 ABS conversion kit (for 90-99 and 00-05 cars)

Hi Everyone,

As many of you know A.S. Motorsport offers all OEM Honda parts and a variety of Conversion kits.
Let's put the spotlight on our OEM ABS conversion kits;

From 2000 on wards all NSX's have a vastly improved digital ABS system, not only considerably lighter but much more reliable and offers a big improvement in ABS performance.
Weight reduction is about 15 LBS that's 6.8KG for them metric users among us.

We offer these upgrades in ether "Standard" regular version as equipped on a "Normal" NSX's or in the NSX-R "Performance" version which is more aggressive and orientated towards high performance driving.
Kit's come with a English manual, and are available in LHD or RHD specification.

1990-1999
A complete OEM conversion kit consisting of all OEM Hardware and piping + modulator of your choice.
This includes the adapter wiring to convert the analog loom to a digital one, Plug & Play.

North America:
$2125 USD including PayPal fee and Shipping!

Europe:
€1600 ex VAT

2000-2005
We offer the NSX-R modulator as a direct replacement for your stock one.

North America:
$1199 shipped

Europe:
€900 ex VAT

1238282_639104082800437_1583731046_n.jpg
01042012018.jpg

Hi Adnan,

VERY interested in this one :)
Could you tell a bit more about the difference between the stock OEM one and the NSX-R variant?
Will the NSX-R variant respond sort of 'later' in your braking, as in allowing you to decellerate faster (with proper sticky tires) than the stock ABS system?

Yeah I am wondering this too. What is the difference between the standard and the R?

Well the NSX-R is a quite aggressive setup car (from a OEM perspective) comes with; (in respect to the braking system)

- High performance soft compound tires
- Specially formulated brake pads
- Slotted discs (for pad cleaning and degassing, thus not immediate stopping power)
- Adjusted suspension (compression & rebound, in other words the wheels stay more planted thus offer higher grip)
- Add front brake cooling

They adjusted the valve basing to take advantage of this, it allows for a more playful drive.
In other words activating as late as possible.

It pretty much acts like turning the biasing valve forward, although being ABS it's dynamic and will intervene on a set point.
This is determined by the ABS Computer it sends it's 4 way signal to the offending wheel cylinder in the modulator, the electronic to hydraulic transfer is done in the modulator.

In that a normal NSX is actually setup as a grand tourer, and thus accommodates the more "relaxed" driver.
This means it has a very proactive ABS designed to stay well on the safe side not going to the edge.

Just envision a NSX-T automatic.

Even NSX Type-S and the Zero uses normal ABS.
The Modulator makes the bias effect hence it's name "modulator".

How to distinguish a "R" modulator from the normal,
"R" modulators have a "N21" suffix instead of the common "Z03" used on normal NSX's

Well the NSX-R is a quite aggressive setup car (from a OEM perspective) comes with; (in respect to the braking system)

- High performance soft compound tires
- Specially formulated brake pads
- Slotted discs (for pad cleaning and degassing, thus not immediate stopping power)
- Adjusted suspension (compression & rebound, in other words the wheels stay more planted thus offer higher grip)
- Add front brake cooling

They adjusted the valve basing to take advantage of this, it allows for a more playful drive.
In other words activating as late as possible.

From what I have always understood about ABS-technology, it basically works like this:
The wheel sensors measure the rotational speed of your wheels& tires. This data is send to the ABS computer.
When braking hard, you rotational speed diminishes very fast.
From the data transmitted by the sensors, the ABS-computer calculates the decelleration (as in negative G-force).
This is done many times per second.
If this G-force exceeds a certain limit (as would occur when your brakes lock-up your wheel), the ABS-computer sees this as immininent lock-up of the wheel and will reduce the braking force to that wheel to avoid your wheel from actually locking up (So, the ABS-system interferes BEFORE the wheel will lock-up).

However, in theory at least, ANYTHING that will allow my G-force to exceed the pre-programmed limit will trigger the ABS-system.
So, if you would have the most sticky track tires in the world, allowing you get 3 Gees in decelleration (that would be nice :rolleyes:) , your ABS-system would still interfere because it does not know you have these super-tires and therefore will activate any time you exceed the (for example) 2 G pre-programmed limit.

So, can I assume, the NSX-R unit is a little more attuned to high decelleration ???

And if so and if my NSX is modified as in:
- Using larger brake rotors from (Racing Brake) with 328x28mm rotors front and 330x23mm rotors in the rear, with the OEM 1991-1994 brake calipers front (with the larger second piston) and the NA2 rotor in the rear (with the larger piston there)
- Use more agressive Hawk HPS or HP+ brake pads
- Have stiff suspension (TEIN-RA) and NSX-R front sway bar
- Use sticky semi-slick tires (Federal 595-RSR)

you would actually suggest using the NSX-R ABS modulater because it will actually allow me to brake harder before the ABS kicks in...???

Last edited:
Well you already have a very good balanced setup, I'd like to point out the 328 front and 330 rear is a very good layout in keeping with the standard disc size ratio.
That's something often overlooked, you've also mixed OE calipers to hydraulically bias the car forward, whilst the brake discs run in tune with a 97-05 setup.
Did you know the later NSX's ran cooler at the rear with there larger caliper discs size.

With such a natural layout the NSX-R abs could only compliment the setup, certainly since you are running a NSX-R sway bar stiffer suspension and sticky tires.
As a NSX-R also runs a much stiffer suspension as stock, with the stiffer suspension.

Your semi-slick tires will only improve the braking potential over the Bridgestone RE-050 used by Honda on the NSX-R.
It's just like your supercharger it improves everything over the whole range.

How extensive is this to change out? I may add this to the winter to do list.

You'll be removing the full old abs system, pump, modulator and accumulator.
Next you will replace piping towards front left and right brake calipers and those going towards the splitter (next to your master cylinder), and the lines running from the master cylinder to your modulator.
In total 7 brake lines will be replaced,

Then you will need to remove you glove box to gain access to your ALB computer to which you plug in to the adapter harness.

Removal:
• Removal of battery
• Draining of all brake fluid
• Remove ABS accumulator assembly
• Remove ABS Modulator assembly
• Remove front ABS piping hard lines
Installation:
• Installation of new ABS piping (there are 7 pipe to be replaced)
• Install brackets and bracket bushings for ABS Modulator.
• Install new ABS Modulator assembly.
• Install wiring harness adapter supplied.
• Refill brake system with DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid, alternatively if you have flushed the
system completely you can also use DOT 5.1 (requries replacement EVERY year)
• Bleed system
◦ Always use following order: Rear right > Front left > Rear left > Front right
• Double check all electrical components that have been altered during removal and
installation
• Reinstall battery
• Confirm brake system has no air and is functioning properly

Last edited:
So if one was to order the abs conversion kit with the nsxr modulator it would be 3125 shipped?

Last edited:
Hi,

i have all components i need, but the conversion Harness...well...i had it, but handed it over to a US guy
so he can try and replicate it, and never saw it back...

...can you PM me the price of the conversion Harness?? and is it sourced in japan or you make it yourself?

Thanks a bunch,
Nuno

Hi Adnan, SoS mentions an "ABS system relay - required for 1995-99 applications", do you provide it along with your kit or do i have to order it separately ? (98 euro NSX here)

Is this pretty much the same as SOS NA2 Abs upgrade?
Correct, (I've not seen a SOS kit but I imagine they'd do something similar)

Our kit includes all OEM Honda parts, including hardware and small parts to make the conversion.
The only non Honda OEM parts is the wiring harness kit.

A full English manual with drawings and illustrations is included, it's a plug & play kit.

Correct, (I've not seen a SOS kit but I imagine they'd do something similar)

Our kit includes all OEM Honda parts, including hardware and small parts to make the conversion.
The only non Honda OEM parts is the wiring harness kit.

A full English manual with drawings and illustrations is included, it's a plug & play kit.

So, my abs system is leaking and is making a machine gun noise at start up, this system would be a perfect replacement? I've seen nothing but rhd for this conversion but you do also offer Lhd conversions?

So, my abs system is leaking and is making a machine gun noise at start up, this system would be a perfect replacement? I've seen nothing but rhd for this conversion but you do also offer Lhd conversions?
This indeed would be perfect, our kits are available in RHD and LHD.

Back