• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX-R modifications & future values

My freind imports skyline GTR'S and Silvia's and supras on a monthly basis, He's very well known and knows all the loop holes and tricks, He tried to import an NA1 NSXR for me, and we ended up shipping it back.

So you shipped one over and gave up and shipped it back? It seems you already have the funds to buy an NSX-R, so why don't you buy another one and just don't register it for US roads? You can keep it in your garage until 2017 (Assuming you purchase a 1992), and be done with it. I'd much rather see a legitimate NSX-R on the streets than another countless knock-off with knock-off parts.

So you shipped one over and gave up and shipped it back? It seems you already have the funds to buy an NSX-R, so why don't you buy another one and just don't register it for US roads? You can keep it in your garage until 2017 (Assuming you purchase a 1992), and be done with it. I'd much rather see a legitimate NSX-R on the streets than another countless knock-off with knock-off parts.

We tried it 3-4 years ago, we did not even get it out of the shipping container, Funds are not the issue, while waiting I drove a friends right hand drive GTR and RX7 a few times, I really don't enjoy driving right hand drive, and the importer had some tricks up his sleeve, and the original plan after it was released was to drive it on a dealer plate, but insurance was not going to cover it, and my legal council scared the hell out of me regarding the high risk of exposure I would have in case of accident by operating an illegal car and people having a field day coming after my assets, Driving right hand drive in the US can be considered irresponsible, especially if you have considerable assets for people to chase they will find a way to paint you at fault. And alternatively keeping it in a garage for 5 years was not acceptable either.

Also NA1 NSX-R does not do it for me as much as much as the NA2 NSX-R. I decided I liked my car more. Thus the NA2-R obsession.

as far as the countless knock-off's, that's what happens when the original is not available in US. but honestly anything NSX related can hardly be considered countless when there's only maybe 30-50 NSX-R wannabes in the whole country? Not exactly roaming the streets like VW beettles to be considered countless.

Why the negativity of replicating an NSX-R as-if there are 5 NSX-R's on ebay right now and were too cheap to buy one? Its just not available thus replicating is the only option.
Its not like I'm building a kit car NSX-R from scratch on a pontiac fiero frame. :)

Last edited:
I guess I have to re-quote my own original post since there seams to be a complete misunderstanding of the subject I brought up for some people.

I am not trying to replicate the value of a NSX-R that is impossible. Never was that implied, maybe I improperly wrote the thread?

All I asked is will driven NSX-R modded cars continue to hold up value along with their driven high millage regular NSX counter parts.
Meaning that right now its a fact that NSX-R style builds and mods are now desirable, and do carry a bit of a premium over regular NSX's (I'm referring to 100k mile cars not 10k original collector purist garage queens) Will this trend continue?

I'm well aware buying a real NSX-R would be a decent investment, but since you can not import an NSX-R and of course I'm aware there are none left hand drive, and I don't find even remotely fun to drive right hand drive in the US. than the only alternative in the US is to continue to create NSX-R inspired replica. Its understood like most mods that most of the money spent creating an NSX-R replica will be gone, but the question is will it be worth less, equal or slightly more than a equal millage stock NSX.

The subject is what are the most important mods? where does the law of diminishing return get completely foolish?
Example is it fair to think a 100k mile NA1 coupe with NA2 engine,trans,ABS and other supporting NSX-R weight mods sell for 10-20k over a 100,000 mile oem car? Say comparable to most turbo cars that also carry a 10-20k premium over oem with comparable millage. In other words I see nothing wrong with spending 75k building a decent NSX-R replica enjoying it for a few years and getting back 50-60k, since there is no other alternative to enjoy the NSX-R experience in the US. And anything generally unobtainable comes with a cost.

My freind imports skyline GTR'S and Silvia's and supras on a monthly basis, He's very well known and knows all the loop holes and tricks, He tried to import an NA1 NSXR for me, and we ended up shipping it back.

Now can some people stop telling me you can not recreate a respectable NSX-R inspired build when a few people here already have including myself?
It's not like there are 5 NSX-R's for sale in the US right now on ebay and I'm being a cheap a** by trying to recreate one.
They don't exist... therefore the discussion is how much is it worth spending making one before it becomes foolish? 60k 70k 80k 90k? Will they be worth 10k -20k more than an equal millage stock nsx?

I doubt I will consider this venture a waste of my time and money and miss out out on the full NSX-R experience just because I don't get the OEM $10K hood and $10k oem seats and alcantra interior. seriously? Is this a Mercedes discussion or NSX-R discussion?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Doc,
Is his car for sale?
where can find info and details?
i could not find a for sale thread.

not to my knowledge but heck you could always ask....his car oozes specialness...everything in life has a price..

not to my knowledge but heck you could always ask....his car oozes specialness...everything in life has a price..

Oh jeez Doc, thanks, I just realized that detlif is procar, He may want as much as a real NSX-R with all the carbon in that thing :)
I was not aware he had a 3.2/6speed in his car.

And by the way you were right.... :) The thred got really mudded up with the NSX-R comparison, was not expecting to have a bunch of responses nitpicking whether or not it would be valued as real type-r which was far from my intention.... I should have just said hey whats the consensus on type-r themed builds? Is it worth it to continue to improve on my current NSX-R build and dive further into a 3.2/6spd? will i ever get most of the money back or is it a complete loss?

Last edited:
who cares that car looks like a piece of waxed candy...

This is a very interesting thread.
Are we perhaps confusing some issues here?

All the Japanese special edition NSX's ( R,S etc.) are RHD drive, well documented, and if unmodified hold their value as limited volume factory specials.
In N America our special edition was the Zanardi and as a factory special also is holding it's value.
Other marques (Porsche, Ferrari etc.) also have their special editions and if unmodified also hold their values.
In short you can't expect a replica of a factory special to achieve the same value as a factory original no matter how much you spend.
Ferrari Daytona replicas are a good example of this.
I replica is just that, a copy of something, and copies don't have the same value as an original.

Modifying an NSX to perform at a higher level than in it's original factory condition is a common event and there are dozens of examples including your own.
Some like Lostbuckeye's (my fav modified NSX) are very fast and powerful and competitive with modern cars in this segment.

I guess my point is there is a range of NSX's that include the stock base models, the stock factory specials, and moving through to lightly and highly modified units.
You can modify an NSX to be a Zanardi clone and it may perform like a Zanardi but won't have the value of an Zanardi.
You can build a Type-R clone and it may perform like a Type R but again won't have the value of a Type-R.

I think the value reasons are straightforward.
A stock NSX, NSX-R, NSX-S,NSX Zanardi (or other marque for that matter) has appeal to the greatest number of buyers and so the greatest demand.
Generally once a car is modified, some buyers are alienated, the appeal is reduced, so demand is reduced and price gets reduced, sometimes regardless of the cost of the modifications.

So if you go all the way to making a Type-R or Type-R Plus replica it won't have either the aura, the feel or the value of an original Type-R.
And that's because it isn't a Type-R.

However it may be faster than a real Type-R and competitive with the more modern cars you would like to compete with.

No intention on replicating a NSX-R value.
well aware of the NSX value ranges and general collectible values of any car.

Are you saying a 100k mile NSX-R replica would be worth less than a 100k mile regular NSX? because that's not the case at the moment.
i'm not comparing garage queen collector cars here, the objective it to have a car to drive and have fun with without completely destroying future value..

Not all replicas are worth less than their base model counterparts, an Eleanor replica is worth allot more than a base model mustang even though its a replica.
and a ferarri daytona replica is a kit car, which is completely unrelated to taking a real NSX and making a few modifications t turn it into a NSX-R.
Were not turning a pontiac fiero into an NSX-R here.
nor are we expecting a NSX-R replica to equal a real NSX-R.... if it continues to be worth 10-20k more than a base model NSX with same millage that's all I'm asking since right now a 100k mile nsx with allot of NSX-R themed modifications including 02 front conversion does sell for at least 10k more than a comparable 100k mile base NSX. in the case of having also having a full 3.2/6speed/ABS/LSD swap I would "hope" for 15-20k more than a base model NSX with comparable high millage. Not expecting to get all my money back in mods but I would like to see a good bit of it back for uber desirable mods.

Last edited:
Are you saying a 100k mile NSX-R replica would be worth less than a 100k mile regular NSX? because that's not the case at the moment.
i'm not comparing garage queen collector cars here, the objective it to have a car to drive and have fun with without completely destroying future value..

and a ferarri daytona replica is a kit car, which is completely unrelated to taking a real NSX and making a few modifications t turn it into a NSX-R.
Were not turning a pontiac fiero into an NSX-R here.
nor are we expecting a NSX-R replica to equal a real NSX-R.... if it continues to be worth 10-20k more than a base model NSX with same millage that's all I'm asking since right now a 100k mile nsx with allot of NSX-R themed modifications including 02 front conversion does sell for at least 10k more than a comparable 100k mile base NSX. in the case of having also having a full 3.2/6speed/ABS/LSD swap I would "hope" for 15-20k more than a base model NSX with comparable high millage. Not expecting to get all my money back in mods but I would like to see a good bit of it back for uber desirable mods.

First off I should have said a Ferrari Dayton cabriolet replica of which a number of Ferrari Daytona coupes have been converted to.
Those replica's don't hold their value.

I really don't know if an NSX modified with NSX-R parts would be worth more or less than a stock NSX with similar mileage.
What I do know is the modified NSX (with NSX-R parts or aftermarket parts) will appeal to less buyers than a stock unit.
If one spends say $30K modifying an NSX, I've not noticed the marketplace responding with prices $30 K higher than a similar stock unit.
It's not about NSX Type-R, S parts or aftermarket Type-R,S parts, it's about whether the modifications made are in demand in the resale market.

I'm not stating these points to be negative, rather I'm passing on what I've observed over the years as NSX's get resold.
Generally I'd suggest highly modified NSX's tend to appeal to a younger market segment, and that segment may not have as much money to put into an NSX.
That may explain why the full cost of modifications doesn't seem to be recoverable.

This isn't restricted to the NSX market.
A resto-mod of a muscle car, like a 6 cylinder Plymouth Satellite converted to a Hemi Road Runner doesn't seem to cover the costs of the conversion and certainly doesn't achieve the market price of a real Hemi Road Runner.

A big part of resale value on an NSX (or any car for that matter) car is based on rarity or exclusivity.
Creating an NSX-R replica may not be common but at the end of the project it's a modified NSX, neither a Type-R nor a stock unit and so is not rare or exclusive.
Not common for sure, but doesn't meet the requirement for appreciating value.

When you've finished your conversion I'm sure you will get great enjoyment out of driving the replica and the cost to you won't mean much.
I'm only suggesting at resale time, if you choose to sell it, I wouldn't expect much of a return on the money spent.

I guess I have to re-quote my own original post since there seams to be a complete misunderstanding of the subject I brought up for some people.

I am not trying to replicate the value of a NSX-R that is impossible. Never was that implied, maybe I improperly wrote the thread?

All I asked is will driven NSX-R modded cars continue to hold up value along with their driven high millage regular NSX counter parts.
Meaning that right now its a fact that NSX-R style builds and mods are now desirable, and do carry a bit of a premium over regular NSX's (I'm referring to 100k mile cars not 10k original collector purist garage queens) Will this trend continue?

I'm well aware buying a real NSX-R would be a decent investment, but since you can not import an NSX-R and of course I'm aware there are none left hand drive, and I don't find even remotely fun to drive right hand drive in the US. than the only alternative in the US is to continue to create NSX-R inspired replica. Its understood like most mods that most of the money spent creating an NSX-R replica will be gone, but the question is will it be worth less, equal or slightly more than a equal millage stock NSX.

The subject is what are the most important mods? where does the law of diminishing return get completely foolish?
Example is it fair to think a 100k mile NA1 coupe with NA2 engine,trans,ABS and other supporting NSX-R weight mods sell for 10-20k over a 100,000 mile oem car? Say comparable to most turbo cars that also carry a 10-20k premium over oem with comparable millage. In other words I see nothing wrong with spending 75k building a decent NSX-R replica enjoying it for a few years and getting back 50-60k, since there is no other alternative to enjoy the NSX-R experience in the US. And anything generally unobtainable comes with a cost.

Now can some people stop telling me you can not recreate a respectable NSX-R inspired build when a few people here already have including myself?
It's not like there are 5 NSX-R's for sale in the US right now on ebay and I'm being a cheap a** by trying to recreate one.
They don't exist... therefore the discussion is how much is it worth spending making one before it becomes foolish? 60k 70k 80k 90k? Will they be worth 10k -20k more than an equal millage stock nsx?

I doubt I will consider this venture a waste of my time and money and miss out out on the full NSX-R experience just because I don't get the OEM $10K hood and $10k oem seats and alcantra interior. seriously? Is this a Mercedes discussion or NSX-R discussion?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Doc,
Is his car for sale?
where can find info and details?
i could not find a for sale thread.
The type R has burned itself into your soul man! Do what you feel is right. You won't have high resale value is all I can agree with, the rest is all personal preference and style. Looks like you already have a car which would kick a original type R's ass numbers wise. Just saying. What does the force tell you?:cool:

First off I should have said a Ferrari Dayton cabriolet replica of which a number of Ferrari Daytona coupes have been converted to.
Those replica's don't hold their value.

I really don't know if an NSX modified with NSX-R parts would be worth more or less than a stock NSX with similar mileage.
What I do know is the modified NSX (with NSX-R parts or aftermarket parts) will appeal to less buyers than a stock unit.
If one spends say $30K modifying an NSX, I've not noticed the marketplace responding with prices $30 K higher than a similar stock unit.
It's not about NSX Type-R, S parts or aftermarket Type-R,S parts, it's about whether the modifications made are in demand in the resale market.

I'm not stating these points to be negative, rather I'm passing on what I've observed over the years as NSX's get resold.
Generally I'd suggest highly modified NSX's tend to appeal to a younger market segment, and that segment may not have as much money to put into an NSX.
That may explain why the full cost of modifications doesn't seem to be recoverable.

This isn't restricted to the NSX market.
A resto-mod of a muscle car, like a 6 cylinder Plymouth Satellite converted to a Hemi Road Runner doesn't seem to cover the costs of the conversion and certainly doesn't achieve the market price of a real Hemi Road Runner.

A big part of resale value on an NSX (or any car for that matter) car is based on rarity or exclusivity.
Creating an NSX-R replica may not be common but at the end of the project it's a modified NSX, neither a Type-R nor a stock unit and so is not rare or exclusive.
Not common for sure, but doesn't meet the requirement for appreciating value.

When you've finished your conversion I'm sure you will get great enjoyment out of driving the replica and the cost to you won't mean much.
I'm only suggesting at resale time, if you choose to sell it, I wouldn't expect much of a return on the money spent.

I agree with all your comments, the only misunderstanding was that I never expected to spend $30k and get $30k back, realistically if you spend 30k on desirable mods (turbo, CTSC, some widebodys & NSX-R themed stuff) you might get back 10k-15K, if someone spends 30k on generally undesirable mods (lambo doors, big stereos, strange paint jobs and interiors and one off body kits) the return is negative to the original value. I understand there's a cost to getting what I want that I cant have.... Playing with cars is usually a bad financial decision (unless someone ownes a restoration shop), But I do try to make the best of it as often as possible as I do not want to spend 100k in mods to buy every OEM NSX-R tidbit just to avoid getting flamed by a purist and be left with a car worth only 25k more than oem.... But spending another 30-50k to get back 10-20k would be a victory and well worth the experience. I don't have any plans of selling anytime soon anyway.

My questions is theoretical.... lets fast forward into the future 15-20 years down the line a real NSX-R might be 250k..... a pristine 20k mile collectors NSX might be $150k...... a more regular driven 100k+ miles NSX might be $100k...... will a decent NSX-R themed build looking & performing the part with 40k-50K of tasteful upgrades be $110-120K or will it be $80K (which I doubt)?

The type R has burned itself into your soul man! Do what you feel is right. You won't have high resale value is all I can agree with, the rest is all personal preference and style. Looks like you already have a car which would kick a original type R's ass numbers wise. Just saying. What does the force tell you?:cool:

Thanks. :)
yeah I am convinced more than ever the trick to the NSX chassis is the weight reduction.... I've been bit hard by experiencing NSXR-like power to weight and have noticed the car just comes more alive with each pound removed. All the oversteer and understeer and snap oversteer has been disappearing along with every pound. Many are quick to install non-compliance bits, but it seams as though the compliance in the OEM suspension has been automatically improved by having less weight to transition, almost like it was designed to be this way. Even traction control was removed and coincidentally has become unnecessary, it surprisingly has less traction issues then ever before.... On track very fast laps are smooth and uneventful and much easier to drive than "supposedly" more capable cars I have driven. The N/A motor just keeps pushing hard consistently and singing beautifully.

I like being the underdog, I like to to do more with less. I am a bit of a minimalist and enjoy the Japanese "less is more" mentality. I love the look on peoples faces when they get confused as to how it only has 330hp, it defies the laws of physics to most people. It shows people things can be done in ways not thought possible. Its shows theirs other ways to accomplish thing than to just add force.... It carries the original NSX-R heritage. That is very rewarding in its self to me.

My appreciation for the NSX and NSX-R represents a whole mindset way beyond 4 wheels and steering wheel. Its longevity, minimalism, simplicity, connection between man and machine its the "eternal sports mind for you". that's printed on the back of the NSX ecu.. I get it...... to me it has a deeper value than just a automobile just like I'm sure the creators at Honda did, or they wouldn't have printed hidden messages throughout the car. :)

The force tells me to go to the next level and do the 3.2/6spd/ABS/LSD for a P/W ratio of 6.7.... or maybe just throwing resale value concerns out the window and creating My own version of "next generation NSX-R" with stage 3 N/A J series 3.5 with 350whp and 2350lbs for a P/W ratio of 5.75 (better than a Ferrari 458 Italia) still keeping full interior amenities and A/C.... maybe do a couple videos spanking the new second gen NSX around the track? kakimoto NSX style?

Last edited:
And without taking anything away from billy's coaching, it was phenomenal and quite an experience and I learned a few things and shaved 1-2 seconds off my time, but that was not the first time I learned how to drive on a track. It was only my second time at homestead and first time at any track in 2-3 years.
1:50.8 -> 1:44.7 = 6 seconds ;)

The real question is what the value of a quality resto-modded NSX is going to be. There are a lot of purists here and I don't disagree that a low-mileage OEM car is going to command a lot of money in the future, but what your asking is more on the lines of a resto-mod.

Like your Elanor example, there are a lot of examples of quality resto-modded cars fetching good money. From hot-rods to muscle cars and recently air-cooled Porsches, it may not be a terrible idea especially doing 02 conversions on NA1 coupes, since there are so few 02 coupes out there.

Look at it another way, there are a lot of well-done and heavily modified Supras and FD RX7s selling for a lot of money, but nice 300ZXs, 3000GT VR4s, GSRs dont'. I think I would classify the NSX in the same group as the Supra & RX7 so I (personally) think tasteful modifications can hold their value decently.

Now to increase your cars value and make it 'clean', you'll probably be less inclined to track it hard... So I agree with doc, that you're stuck in the middleground of a few options and you need to pick one...

I agree with all your comments, the only misunderstanding was that I never expected to spend $30k and get $30k back, realistically if you spend 30k on desirable mods (turbo, CTSC, some widebodys & NSX-R themed stuff) you might get back 10k-15K, if someone spends 30k on generally undesirable mods (lambo doors, big stereos, strange paint jobs and interiors and one off body kits) the return is negative to the original value. I understand there's a cost to getting what I want that I cant have.... Playing with cars is usually a bad financial decision (unless someone ownes a restoration shop), But I do try to make the best of it as often as possible as I do not want to spend 100k in mods to buy every OEM NSX-R tidbit just to avoid getting flamed by a purist and be left with a car worth only 25k more than oem.... But spending another 30-50k to get back 10-20k would be a victory and well worth the experience. I don't have any plans of selling anytime soon anyway.
My question is theoretical.... lets fast forward into the future 15-20 years down the line a real NSX-R might be 250k..... a pristine 20k mile collectors NSX might be $150k...... a more regular driven 100k+ miles NSX might be $100k...... will a decent NSX-R themed build looking & performing the part with 40k-50K of tasteful upgrades be $110-120K or will it be $80K (which I doubt)?

Your questions are valid and I don't know what the future holds on values for our cars.
However if we can observe what's occurred with values in, say air cooled Porsche's, I think we can agree that the unmodified examples tend to gather the highest resale prices.

When it comes to modifications, I think we need to be careful in thinking our particular modification is worth more than the next one just because we like ours but don't like another's.
You see your modifications as more tasteful and desirable as they're something you would like to do. (just as the Lambo door/body kit owner did with theirs)
However neither of us know whether future owners would see them as quite different modifications with different values, or lump them together as highly modified NSX's.

The Type-R NSX has an aura and I think we both see it as the most desirable of the NSX's.
They're expensive now and likely to become more expensive in future, however installing NSX-R parts doesn't mean the aura is transferred to a regular NSX.

The appearance can be achieved with aftermarket NSX-R parts and there are hundreds if not thousands of NSX's on the road today sporting various degrees of the NSX-R look.
For example do you think two identical NSX-R replicas, one with OEM parts and one with aftermarket parts would have a resale value reflecting the difference in parts cost?
I don't know the answer to that but I'd take a guess that the replicas would appeal to a younger demographic that want the "look" and performance might be secondary in their buying decision.
If that's so, then I'd question whether they might have the wherewithal or desire to pay more for essentially the same "look"

Your road to a lighter NSX with more power is one I think Honda would have liked to follow had they not fallen into their "stagnant" period where innovation etc. seemed to stop.
Given that our chassis, despite it's age, remains competitive is an attestation to the excellence Honda designed and built into our cars.
Reducing weight and adding power to achieve a competitive power to weight ratio with some of today's competitors is a worthy path, and one which you are well on the way.

I've followed your J swap thread with interest and it may be a path to less weight/more power.
But regarding value I'd suggest it's a negative asset despite the possible performance improvement.
It's a modification taking an NSX further from it's roots and likely reducing it's appeal to larger numbers of potential buyers at resale time.

Last edited:
1:50.8 -> 1:44.7 = 6 seconds ;)

The real question is what the value of a quality resto-modded NSX is going to be. There are a lot of purists here and I don't disagree that a low-mileage OEM car is going to command a lot of money in the future, but what your asking is more on the lines of a resto-mod.

Like your Elanor example, there are a lot of examples of quality resto-modded cars fetching good money. From hot-rods to muscle cars and recently air-cooled Porsches, it may not be a terrible idea especially doing 02 conversions on NA1 coupes, since there are so few 02 coupes out there.

Look at it another way, there are a lot of well-done and heavily modified Supras and FD RX7s selling for a lot of money, but nice 300ZXs, 3000GT VR4s, GSRs dont'. I think I would classify the NSX in the same group as the Supra & RX7 so I (personally) think tasteful modifications can hold their value decently.

Now to increase your cars value and make it 'clean', you'll probably be less inclined to track it hard... So I agree with doc, that you're stuck in the middleground of a few options and you need to pick one...

Your right, I made that 1-2 second comment a bit too quick, figuring I could get to 1:46 - 1:47 on my own with just getting adjusted the track, the stoptechs and car setup, but maybe not.... So it is likely you made me 6 seconds faster. :) I wont deny that. Now cant wait to try again in a few months, maybe we do sebring or PBIR next time. And we have to make sure to see what you time you can do without a 190lbs passenger crapping himself. :)

You've brought some more great resto-mod examples to light and, you get the idea, the main difference here is that were dealing with something very desirable, valuable and completely impossible to obtain such as an NSX-R, even if we could obtain your still right hand drive which will never be desirable here. Who in their right mind would pay 150k for NA2 NSXR and the do a left hand drive swap and drive it illegally on the road?

Spoon had the right idea and also Singer restored Porsche 911's are 300k-400k and they make allot of their own body components and are not using OEM.

Some people here Treating/comparing any NSX-R build as a typical "replica kit car" is just not right.

Thanks for your advice, not sure I need to go to NSX fiesta to see NSX's, I've owned 3 NSX's so far, Including the one I have now for almost 10 years. and have hosted quite a few nsx gatherings when I lived up north.

NSX Fiesta = Japan's NSX gathering. I went there this past fall and had a chance to ride in a NSX-R, but briefly. Some other folks got a hotlap in a NSX-R and that is probably the real thing you would want to do. Another person also took a 2-3 hour road trip in the passenger seat of a NSX-R. The Japanese owners were super friendly and I think that if you explained what you were looking to do, they would most certainly bring you out for a lap in their car and maybe even let you drive their car for a parade lap. In summary - NSX Fiesta isn't like any other U.S. NSX meet if you are looking to experience a NSX-R.

Regarding value, which it seems this topic has drifted away from:

[$$$ parts] + [cost of car] >> [final sale price of modded car] > [final sale price of non-modded car]

That would be my formula.

>> = much less
> = less

This is a hobby though, not an investment - so you need to factor in the enjoyment. If you would enjoy your car that much more with the type-R mods, by all means go for it drive the snot out of the car.

However if we can observe what's occurred with values in, say air cooled Porsche's, I think we can conclude that the unmodified examples tend to gather the highest resale prices.
I think we can agree with that conclusion.
Agreed except this part Since Singer restored porches are worth allot more than their OEM counterparts
Non-turbo Toyota Supras are worth more with turbo conversions

The NSX-R modifications in general are desirable to allot of NSX owners except the purist which may include you (nothing wrong with that, I'm not trying to offend you)

by the way. jdcross the rest of this post is not directed twards you. it my response in genreal.
Its pointless to stay hung up on the OEM vs replica parts part of a NSX-R build.... someone limiting the self to concentrating on the hood and seats and spoiler.... which is not what makes an NSX-R have the aura it does... the real parts that make an NSX-R has not replicas to speak of... I cant get a replica transmission, replica 3.2, replica 400lbs weight reduction, replica removal of sound deadening, and stereo.... how would I explain a fake weight reduction.

What makes the NSX-R is the recipe of roughly 2800lbs and 290whp... the few parts being replica or not is really irrelevant.

what is very silly is people on here putting 10k seats and a 10k OEM hood and welding the roof on a 3200lb a NA2 targa thinking they have a type-R..
that's much more of replica! than a coupe with a 3.2/6speed and actual efforts and dedication to get to 2700-2800 lbs regardless of whether the hood and seats are real NSX-R.... people thinking this way are losing concept of what the type R is. yes oem parts will add more value, but replica NSX-R parts do not kill a the aura.

Overall I really don't see why some people are giving me slack for trying to recreate mechanically a functional NSX-R clone which will cost allot more time money and effort than a bunch of OEM CF parts that do nothing like 10k seats and a 10k hood and 6k spoiler and then comparing me to others that are just slapping NSX-R cosmetic parts on and calling it an NSX-R

Last edited:
I should probably read this entire thread twice since I'm still not quite sure about your ultimate goal. You are stuck in a triangle as Doc said. One corner you want a cool looking nsxr tribute car. Other corner you want a street car that performs like an nsxr. The other corner you want as little depreciation or possibly enjoy some appreciation of value. You will end up somewhere inside it.

the chase for a replica nsxr is futile. I gave it up years ago myself. Even an effort like Anils is only say, 60% of what a real R is. I can build one that's maybe 40%. You can build one that's maybe 80%.... Only Honda can build a 100% true nsxr and there lies the problem. You're just like us. You're not a Singer. They built a brand that caters to a niche and so did Rod Emery but it took them years but they could never build a true RS. Only Porsche can do that. They can make copies but the prices are still subjective.

im just saying... Chase a build that will result in a car you'd love to drive in whatever mixed driving you built the car for. It's less brain damage. Assume your car is an expense and not an appreciating asset. It sounds like you don't plan to sell anyway. It will always end up a custom car for you. It might be close to an authentic nsxr even down to the stiff dampers (which I hated on the street) you might even get a true nsxr engine that is rumored to have extra blueprinting yadda yada

Btw I'm with you on LFH cars. They are super annoying in a RHD country.

edit... Reread some of your last posts and it seems you've transitioned into wanting to build a lightweight nsx with a 3.2 and a 6spd. That would have been a much less controversial title haha

Last edited:
Incidentally, I had a fun conversation with an Australian NSX owner who had a type-R as he had always admired type-Rs. He drove it for a while, didn't like how it felt and sold it to a European owner. He is now looking for a regular NSX.

define 'less brain damage':biggrin:

This thread needs photos :p

qhFiZm.jpg

Jumbo size: http://imageshack.com/a/img911/596/qhFiZm.jpg

I should probably read this entire thread twice since I'm still not quite sure about your ultimate goal. You are stuck in a triangle as Doc said. One corner you want a cool looking nsxr tribute car. Other corner you want a street car that performs like an nsxr. The other corner you want as little depreciation or possibly enjoy some appreciation of value. You will end up somewhere inside it.

the chase for a replica nsxr is futile. I gave it up years ago myself. Even an effort like Anils is only say, 60% of what a real R is. I can build one that's maybe 40%. You can build one that's maybe 80%.... Only Honda can build a 100% true nsxr and there lies the problem. You're just like us. You're not a Singer. They built a brand that caters to a niche and so did Rod Emery but it took them years but they could never build a true RS. Only Porsche can do that. They can make copies but the prices are still subjective.

im just saying... Chase a build that will result in a car you'd love to drive in whatever mixed driving you built the car for. It's less brain damage. Assume your car is an expense and not an appreciating asset. It sounds like you don't plan to sell anyway. It will always end up a custom car for you. It might be close to an authentic nsxr even down to the stiff dampers (which I hated on the street) you might even get a true nsxr engine that is rumored to have extra blueprinting yadda yada

Btw I'm with you on LFH cars. They are super annoying in a RHD country.

edit... Reread some of your last posts and it seems you've transitioned into wanting to build a lightweight nsx with a 3.2 and a 6spd. That would have been a much less controversial title haha
lol.
yes I should have named the thread about what's the best way to recreate a functionally accurate NSXR without losing allot of money... rather than have it turned into people thinking I'm trying to build a NSXR replica and sell it for 150k

and btw anyils car was maybe 20% NSX-R overall. yes cometically a perfect 10 NSXR look... but that is very far from what an NSXR really is functionally... I don't think he did any real weight reduction, that car was probably 3100 lbs at best and used allot of replica procar CF.... and where allot of people immediately go in the wrong direction trying to replicate a NSXR just by looks and concentrate on authenticity of parts.

if a part is aerodynamically replicated and accomplishes a similar s a similar purpose and amount if weight reduction then it is functionally accurate.. no reason for people to get hung up there.

Last edited:
lol.
yes I should have named the thread about what's the best way to recreate a functionally accurate NSXR without losing allot of money...

I think this thread should have been named: If I heavily modify an NSX the way I want, how much of the purchase price of the car plus the cost of the modifications will I recoup if I sell it in 10-20 years?

I think modifications are good, but only the right ones and only if those are done right. So what are the right modifications? The ones I carried out on my NSX, of course! Seriously, it's subjective. In 10 or 20 years maybe only those modifications will be valued that can no longer be recreated. Maybe any modifications will detract from the car's value. If you take a $40,000 NSX and modify it for $40,000, the car you spent $80,000 on may only sell for $35,000. Who knows? If you recoup 25 cents on the dollar for the modifications you carried out, you probably found the right buyer and that would be great. But financially, you're going to take a beating on the $80,000 any way you look at it. From an investment standpoint, it would probably be better to buy a Cayman GT4, 911 GT3, etc. and not modify it. Going that route would take away half the fun for me, though, even if it would be financially more prudent.

The modifications I made and am making to my NSX increase my enjoyment of it. But the money spent on my hobby is gone. It's like money spent in a restaurant. Enjoy it!

I think this thread should have been named: If I heavily modify an NSX the way I want, how much of the purchase price of the car plus the cost of the modifications will I recoup if I sell it in 10-20 years?

I think modifications are good, but only the right ones and only if those are done right. So what are the right modifications? The ones I carried out on my NSX, of course! Seriously, it's subjective. In 10 or 20 years maybe only those modifications will be valued that can no longer be recreated. Maybe any modifications will detract from the car's value. If you take a $40,000 NSX and modify it for $40,000, the car you spent $80,000 on may only sell for $35,000. Who knows? If you recoup 25 cents on the dollar for the modifications you carried out, you probably found the right buyer and that would be great. But financially, you're going to take a beating on the $80,000 any way you look at it. From an investment standpoint, it would probably be better to buy a Cayman GT4, 911 GT3, etc. and not modify it. Going that route would take away half the fun for me, though, even if it would be financially more prudent.

The modifications I made and am making to my NSX increase my enjoyment of it. But the money spent on my hobby is gone. It's like money spent in a restaurant. Enjoy it!

I agree. but I would like to keep the thread focused on NSX-R oriented mods not just any mods. Since I believe NSX-R oriented mods are the most generally acceptable.

i would not really consider a car very "personalised" if it concentrates on a desirable model the manufacturer actually produced.

Weight reduction, engine, suspension, LSD, ABS,
aeodynamic parts (real or replica)

if anyone would like to sell me a functionally replicated Porsche 959 for less than a regular 911. my check book is open!

Last edited:
Someone posted on here a while back about wanting to become the "Singer" of NSXs. In reality the market demand drives whether this would be successful or not, and with many generations of Porsches having interchangeable parts, the aura of 911s in general that have the engine in the wrong place and a bunch of stubborn Germans spending decades convincing the world that it is good has led to this demand.

There's a lot to be said of Senna's involvement in the NSX and the following he has in the motorsport and automotive world. So who knows what the future holds. It's possible the handful of NSX shops that have graveyards of NSX chassis and parts piled up in their buildings are sitting on goldmines which can be rebuilt with aftermarket fiberglass fenders and parts, and custom-built with different seats and interiors and be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars like a Singer Porsche if the image of the car gets to that point and someone is in the right place at the right time to start building them... Only time will tell.

yes that fellow kinda dropped off prime...I had high hopes....his sema car looked promising.

Someone posted on here a while back about wanting to become the "Singer" of NSXs. In reality the market demand drives whether this would be successful or not, and with many generations of Porsches having interchangeable parts, the aura of 911s in general that have the engine in the wrong place and a bunch of stubborn Germans spending decades convincing the world that it is good has led to this demand.

There's a lot to be said of Senna's involvement in the NSX and the following he has in the motorsport and automotive world. So who knows what the future holds. It's possible the handful of NSX shops that have graveyards of NSX chassis and parts piled up in their buildings are sitting on goldmines which can be rebuilt with aftermarket fiberglass fenders and parts, and custom-built with different seats and interiors and be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars like a Singer Porsche if the image of the car gets to that point and someone is in the right place at the right time to start building them... Only time will tell.

hey I mentioned singer for comparison of restoration modification being worth more than oem. but did not claim to want to be the singer of NSX's. it was only an example. just to be clear none of this threads nor my intentions has been to profit from this.

but I do agree I really wish someone would take on that positon and suceed. I would be future buyer 10-20 years from now.

I think spoon had a great idea but they may have show up too early and in my optinion should have stuck to NSXR rather than NSXRGT since eth at whole look with huge front lips and snorkel may be too much for most people.

Last edited:
Back