• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX-R Questions

BJV

Registered Member
How much would you be willing to pay for an NSX-R? Do you think there is any way to convince Honda to import some right-hand drive versions to the US?

I'd love to have one and I would pay a premium for one. Shoot I've even thought about a buying another NSX - probably the latest white coupe that I can find and buying a 3.2L engine & 6 speed for it and all of the OEM type R parts that I can find and building my own. I've thought about putting a lot of type R gear on my Zanardi but I don't think the black CF looks very good on Red :)

Thoughts and ideas please!

Thanks,

Barry

current base price sheets I have (prices in thousand Yen) show:

NSX coupe
- 6MT Y 9,207 - 10,157 depending on options
- 4AT Y 9,407 / 9,957 with DVD-NAV

NSX-T
- 6MT Y 10,257 / 10,807 with NAV
- 4AT Y 10,057 / 10,607 with NAV

NSX-S
- 6MT Y 10,357 - 11,407 fully optioned (with NAV)

NSX-R
- 6MT Y 11,957 - 12,757 (NAV is NOT an option)

add extra for custom colors, options, etc.

#############

using NSX coupe 6MT as base (Y9,207,000 or about $77K) :
- base NSX-T costs Y1,050,000 (about $9K) more (approx $86K)
- base NSX-S costs Y1,150,000 (about $10K) more (approx $87K)
- base NSX-R costs Y2,750,000 (about $23K) more (approx $100K)

** above conversions using Y120 = US$1

##########################

sample option costs (NSX-R):
- A/C: Y300,000 (~ $2500)
- SRS: Y100,000 (~ $833)
- Stereo: Y300,000 (~ $2500)
- HID: Y50,000 (~ $420)
- Rear hatch garnish (scoop): Y800,000

Exterior pearl colors:
- add Y150,000 for base (yellow, midnight, blue)
- add another Y150,000 for "special" pearl colors (orange, light green, light blue, white)

[This message has been edited by nsx1164 (edited 05 December 2002).]

This pricing is about what I'd expect to pay. I can't understand why Honda wouldn't take a chance on sending 25 or so over here. It would be so much easier than a "build your own" NSX-R which would be nearly impossible to duplicate.

Originally posted by 96redT:
I can't understand why Honda wouldn't take a chance on sending 25 or so over here.

Maybe because the 50 Zanardis in '99 didn't exactly sell like hotcakes.

Since Honda sells so few NSXs anyway, and since the NSX is such a special performance car, why in the heck aren't all the NSXs sold Type Rs?

I doubt they would sell any fewer units. At this point, if it's all about having a "halo" car, Honda might as well sell the most performance oriented NSX they have.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
1976 Honda Accord 5 spd, 3 door Blue/Blue
1977 Honda Accord - Custom - Under Construction
1986 Chevy Suburban
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 06 December 2002).]

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Maybe because the 50 Zanardis in '99 didn't exactly sell like hotcakes.

I am not an expert in niche marketing, but my common sense would have dictated that in the US, the NSX needed a boost in hp to capture renewed attention and enthusiasm. Had they increased the hp by at least 10%, then people would have had an excuse to buy the Zanardi, perhaps even as a possible collectible .....

Don't misunderstand me, I like the Zanardi looks, and it may indeed be the NSX-S that we never received here in the US, but in 99, having another NSX with the same hp as the coupe or the T did not cut it with the competition nor with the NSX owners/community .... all stats and weight reductions are irrelevant IMO for this discussion. In the US, hp is still king in marketing as a selling point .....

Honda surely can engineer great products but they missed a golden opportunity with the marketing of the Zanardi and promoting the NSX.

YMMV

Originally posted by Jimbo:
Since Honda sells so few NSXs anyway, and since the NSX is such a special performance car, why in the heck aren't all the NSXs sold Type Rs?

I doubt they would sell any fewer units. At this point, if it's all about having a "halo" car, Honda might as well sell the most performance oriented NSX they have.

I think it's quite possible that they would sell fewer units if they only sold the NSX-R. The NSX-R is a much more raw (rawer?) sports car and much less of a luxury sports car. And, like it or not, many of the people who buy the NSX are NOT looking at it only in terms of raw performance, and might not have bought it if that performance came at the expense of deleted amenities (stereo, air conditioning, power everything, etc) along with less comfort on the street.

I agree on both points: HP is the best marketing selling tool for sportcars worldwide. People aree changing the 911 because Porsche added 20ps on the 2002 model! The 2001 is definitely out in the discussion I hear...
confused.gif

Weight is really only a matter for VERY interested performance oriented people. Not the real audience.

And I also agree with Ken that a less luxury version would have even more problem selling than the current one (keeping the HP rating the same).

Originally posted by gheba_nsx:
I agree on both points: HP is the best marketing selling tool for sportcars worldwide
- Horsepower and the immediate benefits of a high power-to-weight ratio (e.g., short-term acceleration 0-60, 1/4 mile) are usually the primary magazine-bench-racer criteria... and lets not go into the "power-versus-torque" discussion
smile.gif

- Regardless of power-to-weight, weight (or absence thereof) impacts handling ability... this seems to be a lesser determinant than hp and acceleration
- Bang-for-the-buck seems to matter, particularly for cars up through about $60K or so... after that "badge pedigree" kicks in. Notice that the "coveted" marques do not produce low-cost models
- Efficiency (hp/liter) does not seem to matter as much... although the shape/slope of the torque curve gets some attention (leads to the "displacement" vs "high-rev" discussion
frown.gif
)

Going back to the NSX-R question, this car is targetted at a specific type of individual, one that (unfortunately for us) does not map to Honda US's perceptions of their buyer base.

There might be an answer forthcoming yet...

in the current issue of EVO magazine (December 2002, page 017), there is a small article on possible NSX-R for the UK

#############

HONDA UK is rethinking its stance on the NSX Type-R and is on the verge of officially importing a limited run for diehard NSX fans. Initially it was thought that the market was too small, but unexpected demand for the facelifted car and overwhelmingly positive reaction from the press has persuaded Honda to reassess the ultimate Type-R.

An NSX-R will soon be tested on UK roads to determine its suitability for Britain's unique conditions. A couple of EVO staffers drove the original and say that if the new car is anything like as good, it could eclipse even the 911 C4S. We'll keep you posted on Honda's decision and how much the very exclusive NSX-R will cost.

Keep your fingers crossed.

I just bought a white black nsx with rm intake, exhaust, header swaybars, antiroll bar, sloted rotors and rm pads, if I bought the short gears or droped a six speed -R tranny in the car what else would I need to do to make my car perform like or near to the awesome nsx-r?

Originally posted by BITeR:
There are actually power windows in the new R. Not much (if any) weight savings over maual windows....so they kept it.
old NSX-R had power windows, but manual door locks. My guess is, the space-sparse layout makes it difficult to place a proper "hand crank".

Old NSX-R also has the passenger seat fixed (non-adjustable). New NSX-R has forward/back adjust... tilt is fixed, as its a (tight-fitting) CF racing shell.

Also no TCS, SRS, A/C or sound system (some available as extra-cost options).

[This message has been edited by nsx1164 (edited 11 December 2002).]

All NSX-R Engines are blueprinted from the factory. One thing no one has mentioned yet is the Type-R's suspension($$$). The shocks are Showa High Response Shocks with external canisters on the rear shocks. All the rubber bushings in the suspension system is stiffer along with the sway bars.

One the new Type-R NSX the aerodynamics, engine, suspension, and tires are far more important than the weight savings it dropped from the previous Type-R.

Although the blueprinted engines in both Type-R are not "significantly" more powerful than the regular models' engines, it does rev faster, which allows it accelerate faster and reach the powerband sooner.

------------------
www.acrmotorsports.com / 949-929-8973

[This message has been edited by ACR_Motorsports (edited 11 December 2002).]

Originally posted by ACR_Motorsports:
Although the blueprinted engines in both Type-R are not "significantly" more powerful than the regular models' engines, it does rev faster, which allows it accelerate faster and reach the powerband sooner.

confused.gif

What do you mean when you say it "revs faster"?

Does it have more torque or different gearing, which is the only way it would accelerate faster?

And does it have the same relatively flat torque curve as the regular NSX, which does NOT have a distinct "powerband"?

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
confused.gif

What do you mean when you say it "revs faster"?

Does it have more torque or different gearing, which is the only way it would accelerate faster?

And does it have the same relatively flat torque curve as the regular NSX, which does NOT have a distinct "powerband"?

Maybe he means it has a lighter flywheel and more agressive gearing, that's the only way I can interpret "rev's faster".

Back