• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX-R Suspension, want driver feed-back

I'm considering getting the NSX-R suspension sold by SOS. If anyone has experience with it please let me know how you like it. How much did it drop the car? How much stiffer is it on bumpy roads? How does handling "feel" compared to other suspensions? How about clearance for wide tires i.e. 17x8 fronts and 18x10.5 rears?

I'm have HKS coilovers and am also familiar with the stock suspension on '94 coupe. Will be getting a new '94 and would consider the NSX-R suspension.

Any imput would be greatly apreciated!
Steve

hi Steve -- If you do a search under the user's blkcat and docjohn you'll see two reviews. There are also quite a few other owners that may chime in.

Here is my feedback after some time with the suspension on the track and street.

The suspension uses 10 kg/mm and 8 kg/mm springs. In comparison, a 94 uses 3.04 and 3.94 kg/mm springs. In addition, the TEIN suspension uses 10 and 12 kg/mm springs. However, the NSX-R suspension uses better quality dampers, so the spring rate alone should not be an indicator of the ride stiffness. The NSX-R suspension feels slightly less firm than the TEIN and seems to have faster reacting dampers. However, the TEIN suspension is much lighter and allows changes to be made to the damper rates and ride height. If you're looking for something plug and play with quite a bit of development work and don't mind a firmer ride, the NSX-R suspension is a good idea. The capability of the car tremendously improves with the suspension.

As far as the ride height goes, the published spec is less than a half inch. However, after installing a set a few weeks ago, we found the overall length is more than an inch shorter. I do not know the specific front and rear suspension geometry; however, I'd guess the ride height change to be about .75". We'll make sure to take before and after measurements the next time around.

Regards,
-- Chris

if you want the R kit for performance, then it is the one to get. no need to dial in, easy to install, but if you want looks, then look elsewhere, I just came back this past weekend from a mountain drive with the R kit, when I first got the kit, I thought this things is too stiff, but once I took it to the mountains, it is priceless, I could not wipe the smile from my face, my wife thought I was delirious. my nsx is like extension of my self, and makes me look like a better driver than I am. Well worth the price of admission.
p.s. It may be a little too stiff with 17" 18" combo. i put my 15"16" back on to fully enjoy the car. JMHO:)

WOW what a ride

I also thought the R suspension was too stiff when I first got it about 1 month ago. On the way home from Irvine to Rancho Cucamonga, the 91 FWY (super bumpy) ride made me want to go back and have them installed the stock units back on.

BUT (there is alway a but in there), on the NSX Prime Canyon Drive end of last month, where I took my wife to join the drive. Damn, this car now really shines, just look, point and turn, the rest is history, everthing is so tight, not much body roll, the car give me so much confidence I almost rear ended Seth's SOS car when he stop in the middle of a turn due to an accedent in front.

I drive it on a daily bases now, I can live with the bumpy ride on the not so perfect highways here in So. Cal, but what a joy it is evertime I get a chance to take a corner hard.

Best of all, my wife seems to enjoy the drive so much she did not mind the pumpy ride either.:D :D :D

Now if I can get her to okay on all the other MOD i want to do. ;) ;) ;)

I had my set installed on a '92 just because I wanted better performance on the track. I really didn't care much about the ride height but definitely liked the idea of the "plug & play".

My first impression when I drove the car away from the shop: "I need to get a pair of heavy duty bras for my wife!!" You will definitely feel more bumps on the road, you'll start to hear creeks and squeeks from below the dash that you never heard before. You will start to appreciate why the factories make "softer" suspension for the road use. However, I got used to the rougher drive on the roads because I look forward to the benefits on the track.

I don't think you'll find a suspension that has the best of both worlds. You just need to set your priorities and go with what you want.

NSX-R Suspension

For those of you that installed the NSX-R suspension... did you also swap your stock sway bars and bushings to the NSX-R ones as well, or did you only change the NSX-R dampers and springs?

any comments comparing the Type R to the Tein's. I am debating between the two. The main I was looking at the Tein's was the adjustability for track/street use.

EIFFEL said:
got the front sway bar and bushings also. Call Chris@SOS for recommendations.

Thanks for the information IEFFEL. It makes sense that if one is going to upgrade the dampers and springs to the NSX-R, one should also upgrade to the NSX-R sway bars and bushings as well.

Unless you track your car most of the time, I do not think you need to change the sway bar. It is very well balance as is with the R suspension. IMHO

(Plus I have 18/19 setup, so it is even harsher than 17/17 from the factory)

WOW

I too had the NSX R suspension at the Canyon run. I had my new wheels and tires too. In addition I have the Beamon toe link which enhances the handling. I truly felt I could almost do no wrong in the canyons. I know, I know don't get too confident. The NSX R suspension makes you feel so much more confident in the twisties. When pushing the car to the limits it makes sense to purchase the best when your life depends on it.

"NSX R parts" "Don't leave home without it"

Re: WOW

What is the "Beamon toe link" and where did you buy it?

blackcat said:
I too had the NSX R suspension at the Canyon run. I had my new wheels and tires too. In addition I have the Beamon toe link which enhances the handling. I truly felt I could almost do no wrong in the canyons. I know, I know don't get too confident. The NSX R suspension makes you feel so much more confident in the twisties. When pushing the car to the limits it makes sense to purchase the best when your life depends on it.

"NSX R parts" "Don't leave home without it"

awsomr1 said:
Unless you track your car most of the time, I do not think you need to change the sway bar. It is very well balance as is with the R suspension. IMHO

I'm sure swapping to the NSX-R dampers and springs alone is sufficient, but I would not base my decision to swap the OEM bars to the NSX-R ones on tracking purposes alone. Not all NSX-Rs bought are tracked after all, and I would want the flat-cornering benefits the bars have to offer for street use, even with the added stiffness.

(Plus I have 18/19 setup, so it is even harsher than 17/17 from the factory)

With that set up, the ride will be harsher even with the stock suspension, let alone the NSX-R one.

Are those wheels hub-centric, or did you need to add a centering ring? Are the wheels resting on the hub (where they are supposed to) or being supported by the studs? The additional weight added at each corner with that wheel/tire set up, you must feel every vibration on the steering wheel. Just wondering, will you also have premature wear on the other suspension parts (ball joints, etc.) due to this set up?

Along the lines of changing one thing at a time, I've left the OEM bars in place for now, until I've really had a chance to see how the Type R suspension does.

Back