• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX-R vs. 911 GT3

"Ignorant redneck" accusations from a certain jackass notwithstanding, I just downloaded and viewed the TopGear GT3 test that NetViper speaks of at the start of this thread. Not surprisingly, the host on the video repeats just about everything I said in my original post about the inherent flaws of a rear-engined design. So that must clearly mean that the TopGear guys are also ignorant rednecks:rolleyes:

Hey guys, cool off. Look at `Bulldozer` signature. I think the guy knows what he is talking about.

When this year???

Steven Spanbauer said:
I believe you missed the PCA event this year...The fast Drivers were posting 2.21s in there GT-3s faster than any 360 I've ever timed which was a 2.24. ;)

Steven 91 Blk/Ivory

The only GT-3's around were GT-3R's for most of the year. You can't compare a race car to a stock 360.

Try a 360 `Stradale` Challenger. That car is street legal and will pretty much be unmatch. The car has 425hp, better suspension, better brake, better tires, lighter.... A friend of mine ordered one earlier this year and waiting for shipment.

Last edited:
The Stradale and the GT3 are very closely matched. The difference, according to comparison tests along with a Zonda, M3 CSL, Noble, Caterham, and SL55 AMG is the Stradale is a more raw drivers car where as the GT3 chassis has, to quote another article, a "wide sweet spot." The GT3 is easier to drive at speed and more refined but twitchy at 9/10ths. The Stradale rewards you in that special visceral way when pushing the same limits. Or so state the comparisons, anyway :rolleyes:

I can't believe that a muffler bypass is going to be road legal. There has to be some loophole.

Sunny

JaguarXJ6 said:

I can't believe that a muffler bypass is going to be road legal. There has to be some loophole.

Sunny

If you have watched any movies with The Stradale ... it is FREAKING LOUD. man.. its crazy loud... I would think many neighbors would be PISSED.

Yes, the regular `Challenger` is not street-legal, but the `Stradale` is. `Stradale` means `street` in Italian, I believe.

NSX/MR2 yes, you ar right. "Stradale" is the street-legal version of the "Challenge" (and not challenger).

Similar to the GTO version of the GT: one is "Gran Turismo", for the GT races and the other is "Gran Turismo Omologato".

That means that the GTO is legal/homologated on the street.

NetViper said:
If you have watched any movies with The Stradale ... it is FREAKING LOUD. man.. its crazy loud... I would think many neighbors would be PISSED.

Ick gawd, not this again. IT'S A SPORTS CAR. And if a neighbor sees a Stradale passing by, I highly doubt that noise will in the top 5 of things that they notice.

madfast said:
remember it's not just the power. Honda emphasis in the perfect balance of power and handling thus making the perfect sports car.

Exactly! Most people simply have a hard time understanding what you just stated. It is not as simple as just adding a big engine with big power.

Just wanted to add a few comments to this as I non NSX owning (kind of impartial..ish) British viewer ;)

Don't forget that the GT3 would have come straight from Porsche and will be pretty fresh. Lord knows what that NSX-R had been through. I'm pretty sure that they only brought one over to the UK/Europe and it'll have been thrashed this way and that (I should take a look at the number plate and compare it to the one's in the few mag articles I've seen not to mention the best motoring NSX-R 'ring DVD).

You don't know how well the driver knows NSX's compared to Porsches. I'm sure he will have driven more 911's.

You don't know the air/wind temps and other conditions between the two tests.

The 4 second value for comparing car's in the wet and dry is pretty random. The M3 CSL that was on last night in the wet would be sooo much faster in the dry.

Jerremy Clarkson has always poked fun at the 911 (drove one into a wall on one of his videos!!) hence the comments in the studio on the clip.

Oh and I've heard a 360 CS at goodwood this year and they sound awsome if a little loud (if that is a problem) ! Also saw/heard a Carrera GT which was like a mini F1 car :D The M3 CSL sounds pretty cool too. A bit like a straight 6 version of the noise my ITR makes with it's Mugen Intake ;)

Oh year and if you think the GT3 is quick wait until they test this......

http://content2.eu.porsche.com/prod/911/gt3rs.nsf/gbrenglish/gt3rs

Just to cite one data point...

One of our local, experienced track instructors buys every "hot" car as soon as it comes out on the market. He bought a GT3 three weeks ago and now wants to sell it. He calls it "unstreetable", absolutely awful for street use. And he's a guy who appreciates "non street friendly" features like a stiff suspension, etc.

As I suspected the registration number on that NSX-R is the same as;

1. The car that won the EVO car of the year award
2. The car that appears in the NSX-R brochure and throughout the book NSX Type R Perfect Guide.

3. The car used to attack the 'ring in this DVD http://bestmotoring.powerbroad.ne.jp/digest/BMS/55.html (which is a great buy from amazon.co.jp)
4. The car this is photographed throughout the NSX-R section on honda.co.jp

Needless to say it's been around a bit.

I wonder where it is now................

vs0208_06.jpg

Man.. that NSX-R sure is good looking!! So you are saying a "fresh" NSX-R would be faster around the 5th Gear track? Maybe a little, but not 6 seconds..

Not 6 seconds but it's not unknown for cars to come "specially prepared" (lighter, slightly tuned engine etc) for TV shows etc. Of course the NSX could be fresh from a honda workshop itself... Just a bit of food for thought.

nsxtasy said:
Just to cite one data point...

One of our local, experienced track instructors buys every "hot" car as soon as it comes out on the market. He bought a GT3 three weeks ago and now wants to sell it. He calls it "unstreetable", absolutely awful for street use. And he's a guy who appreciates "non street friendly" features like a stiff suspension, etc.

Specifically what makes it "unstreetable", in his opinion?

Back