• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Nsx Raffle?

Has anyone seen or know about a past, present or future raffle for an NSX? I've been a member of the BMW club for years and they raffle off 13 or more cars every year (this year they are M3 coupes) with one in 3000 odds for a one ticket ($25) purchase. The Benz club does a similar raffle but with various model cars. I've also seen lots of charities do one off raffles but I havn't ever seen one for an NSX new or pre owned. If the odds were fair I'd sure buy in deep!!!

satan_srv said:
well non-charitable raffles are usually pretty darn illegal

I think they are a NFP organization and they make no proceeds on the sale of tickets.

NSXSOON,

I was in an NSX raffle about 3 months ago....

I bought 1 ticket......

The ticket cost over $35K......

and the odds were really great.....they only had one ticket!

........WE HAVE A WINNA!

:p

OK - I guess we will start the 1st NSX raffle ever. All proceeds go to the Nick Matteucci HSC fund.

Details - very clean and upgraded Red/Black 91 NSX, all service records, updates, no longer in snap ring range, everything works perfectly, etc.

Only 1000 tickets will be sold at $50 each.

We will refund the money on 8/1/2004 if we haven't sold at least 900 tickets - otherwise - on with the drawing.

St. Louis NSX Prime users will be on hand to do the drawing and we will do the whole thing live in the Chat area.

All tickets sold by PayPal to [email protected] - hurry while they last!

:cool:

matteni said:

St. Louis NSX Prime users will be on hand to do the drawing and we will do the whole thing live in the Chat area.
ROFLOL. And after that one, I'll raffle off a BBSC for the KGP engine re-build fund.

That would be exciting. NSXCA is registered as a non-profit organization right? I bet they could sell 1000 tickets at $100 a pop for a brand new NSX. I would definitely buy one. Good fun, and a good fundraiser too!

An NSXCA raffle would be great. Assuming they could buy the NSX for wholesale ($80,000) even 1000 tickets at $50 each would make it very worth while and help our club at the same time. I'd buy several at the $50 price and increase my odds!!!

xsn[/i] [B]NSXCA is registered as a non-profit organization right?[/B][/QUOTE]Yes said:
Assuming they could buy the NSX for wholesale ($80,000) even 1000 tickets at $50 each would make it very worth while and help our club at the same time.
Help the club? Better re-check your math...

BTW, 1000 tickets means that, on average, every member of the club would need to buy one ticket.

Opps!! Sorry about the math. I know the BMW club Limits the # of tickets any member or associate member can pupchase to 5. That said 30% of the club members buy 3 or more!! I still think it could work.

Make 'em $150 each

Make the tickets $150 each and you need 600-700 tickets sold (avg. of 2/3 of members buy a ticket). I know its still a lot of money to put in for a raffle. The odds are better than Vegas, so make them $150 and I'll buy two or three tickets myself. Its possible that if you say the maximum number of tickets people can buy is three, you'd get many takers for at least one ticket and quite a few for two or more. I'd be willing to put in $150 (or $300 for two tickets) for a 1 (or two if I had two tickets) in 700 chance to get a brand new NSX (valued at $90K+).

You're pushing your luck with $150. Hoping to sell multiple $50's is much, much more realistic. You want a number nobody will turn down and many will buy more than one of. That way you don't miss any sales and the people willing to pay the big bucks can still do it for better chances.

Think of $1 lotto tickets, and how many people buy ten of them. Now, sell 1/10th of the tickets at $10 and see if those same people are willing to buy one, even though it's the same odds. It's a perception thing.

good point

Thats a good point about the perception of the ticket prices. I got excited seeing this post and I went overboard. $50, $75 or $100 would be a good ticket price. Then, follow the model the BMW club uses and set a minimum number of tickets that need to be sold in order for raffle to go forward. If the minimum number of tickets don't sell, then the raffle is off and money is returned.

I'm going to spare everyone the anxiety of wondering if their ticket purchased is the winner. Why you may ask? Well, I'm going to buy all the tickets (1,000 x $50ea=$50,000) and drive home in new NSX and then sell it here in the marketplace for $70,000. :D

Many of us in the NSXCA allready have the NSX of their dreams and wouldn't waste $150 on a lottery ticket when that money could go to customize, pay for gas, pay for tires, etc.

Also - allthough the club is exempt - the winner is not. You have to pay taxes on the retail value of the car and depending on your tax bracket - could be very substantial!

One is good. Two is better

I agree that many people already have the NSX of their dreams. I love my NSX, but I'll tell you, I'll get in on a raffle for a chance to get another one. The NSX is the best car out there. One is good. Two is better. Ah well, the raffle idea is fun to talk about. Maybe someday it could happen.

Many of us in the NSXCA allready have the NSX of their dreams and wouldn't waste $150 on a lottery ticket when that money could go to customize, pay for gas, pay for tires, etc.

Yes, but you have to remember that not everyone on here currently has or has ever had an NSX. Several people here are just huge NSX fans.

Also - allthough the club is exempt - the winner is not. You have to pay taxes on the retail value of the car and depending on your tax bracket - could be very substantial!

What is the minimum price for luxury tax? Maybe someone could locate a nice 95 or so and sell 2500 tickets at $25 a piece with a max of 3 or 4? I'd do it.

Hmmm... So even if a NFP runs the raffle, the dealer who supplies the car still gets to make a profit all nice and legal, right?

How about this... I already have my '91 up for sale. I could make a tentative sale to NSXCA and they could raffle it off on the basis of getting a certain minimum number of entries. We each get a guaranteed minimum if it goes, and NSXCA gets an increased share of all tickets sold above that threshold.

So what's wrong with this idea that it isn't done everyday? Just not likely to get enough ticket sales, or the "loophole" I'm seeing is a mirage and I'd end up in court?

Perhaps in the case of the BMW and similar raffles the cars are supplied “at cost” with the blessings of BMW. Surely they are not donated outright, are they? But either way, if I can document that I actually take a loss on the deal, then I should be clear. Yes? I’m not looking to scam here, I just wonder if this isn’t a (barely) legitimate mechanism for unloading a car.

satan_srv said:
There's a lot of red-tape involved, but it's not illegal. It does fall under state gambling laws, so you have to get approval from the local county and state, and even federal if you plan on selling the tickets throughout the U.S.

-Awais

satan_srv said:
Huh? I see them advertised all the time in periodicals like Hemmings and various car magazines. Here's one I just saw advertised in the current issue of Road and Track. It's a Ferrari 360 F-1 Spider. See here.

Heck, I'd bet the NSXCA could turn a nice profit and give way better odds by the raffle of an NSX.

I checked with my attorney about this a few months ago, and the answer was, there's a LOT of legal paperwork that needs to be filed at the county, state and federal level, and you have to post a Bond with the county as good-faith, but it is do-able.

-Awais

One other requirement that I recall was, you had to OWN the car before you could raffle it. So, the company running the raffle would have to purchase the car before they could sell a ticket.

-Awais

Back