• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Recall

That's terrible, the problem I see with that is service manager not completing a thorough post repair inspection including reviewing the alignment sheet. Manufacturers recall and warranties pay dealerships well, it just shows everyone from the tech to the manager they didn't care. I would write to the director/general manager or the owner about your experience

Both the service manager and GM of the dealership were the individuals who know nothing about customer service. I have been informed that corporate Acura will be having a discussion about how badly they serviced my car, and how poorly they treated me. I even learned from the new dealership that Napleton's bad mouthed me and suggested they deny servicing my car. If I was that bad of a customer, then why over the past 18 years and seven cars have I never had anything bad to say about them. I doubt they'll even care, because they only sold three new NSX's and I'm sure they'll now service even less. Another local owner was going to take his there, but now he won't. I believe in karma.

Both the service manager and GM of the dealership were the individuals who know nothing about customer service. I have been informed that corporate Acura will be having a discussion about how badly they serviced my car, and how poorly they treated me. I even learned from the new dealership that Napleton's bad mouthed me and suggested they deny servicing my car. If I was that bad of a customer, then why over the past 18 years and seven cars have I never had anything bad to say about them. I doubt they'll even care, because they only sold three new NSX's and I'm sure they'll now service even less. Another local owner was going to take his there, but now he won't. I believe in karma.

Napleton

I was first in line with them for a 2017 for over a year at their Chicago area store.

As it got closer to ordering time, the internet guy basically said one of the dealer principals wanted the first one and then I could order and not for sticker. I told him off and went elsewhere.

Back to the recall, my dealer said parts aren't available to him yet.

when you are producing a product in such low numbers every customer is your ambassador/promoter/fan-club.....you really need to impress each one.... that mantra needs to gets to the dealer level

That is more or less what was conveyed to everyone at service training and the sales training event. They wanted to make the amount of dealership personnel who interact with NSX clients a select few highly trained individuals. Which would minimize the chance for some random boob at the dealership to ruin the experience.

However, it’s been over two years since all that training. Some people have since left their dealership. And some people may have gone through the training, but are still fundamentally crap employees.

That is more or less what was conveyed to everyone at service training and the sales training event. They wanted to make the amount of dealership personnel who interact with NSX clients a select few highly trained individuals. Which would minimize the chance for some random boob at the dealership to ruin the experience.

However, it’s been over two years since all that training. Some people have since left their dealership. And some people may have gone through the training, but are still fundamentally crap employees.

This is spot on. Unfortunately people do move on and I know our new service adviser would benefit greatly from some training. A refresher course would be a great idea. I've brought it up a few times, don't think it got any traction.

It would also provide a good opportunity for them to get feedback from all those who deal with the NSX clients and on the sales side of things, prospective clients as well. Would be very beneficial for us and potentially for Acura and the future of the car.

Last edited:
Dealership did replace both seals and performed a glass track adjustment (camber?) too. They're now replacing the mount of the side mirror which also has a gasket/seal.

They're still struggling with the wind noise fix even after replacing the side mirror mount. They alluded to the Tech Line working on a ”design flaw” bulletin that may include replacement (and redesigned?) parts. Can anyone corroborate?

Apparently, there are other owners with unresolved wind noise issues.

They're still struggling with the wind noise fix even after replacing the side mirror mount. They alluded to the Tech Line working on a ”design flaw” bulletin that may include replacement (and redesigned?) parts. Can anyone corroborate?

Apparently, there are other owners with unresolved wind noise issues.

I’ve been hearing about them “working on it” for almost two years now. Last I heard, there is no updated part being used. So they are still continuing to make brand new NSXs with the same seals that may have a good chance of developing a wind noise after a short while.

That said, I can’t vouch for how competent other NSX technicians are in figuring out how to precision pinpoint the source of a wind noise. I just know that I have been able to fix several cars just fine. Almost always it’s just the two big seals. But sometimes other adjustments or tweaks can be done.

well then you need to make a you-tube video...:biggrin:

I’ve been hearing about them “working on it” for almost two years now. Last I heard, there is no updated part being used. So they are still continuing to make brand new NSXs with the same seals that may have a good chance of developing a wind noise after a short while.

That said, I can’t vouch for how competent other NSX technicians are in figuring out how to precision pinpoint the source of a wind noise. I just know that I have been able to fix several cars just fine. Almost always it’s just the two big seals. But sometimes other adjustments or tweaks can be done.

It's a giant pain in the butt to properly align the first gen windows, but it makes a huge difference in window fit, sealing, and noise. Sounds like they just need to give a refresher course to the assembly line folks.

Like deny servicing your car in the future? Wow, what a threat, like you'd want to ever return...

When wrapping up my repairs, the service advisor sent me a note if I had a preference of gas or a station when filling it up after the tanks were replaced. I think he said they could go up to 40 miles away if I had a specific station.

Sorry to hear of problems out there.

well then you need to make a you-tube video...:biggrin:

For many reasons I can’t get into, that is not possible. I have lots of pictures of all things NSX that some of you guys would totally nerd out over, but I can not share them.

It's a giant pain in the butt to properly align the first gen windows, but it makes a huge difference in window fit, sealing, and noise. Sounds like they just need to give a refresher course to the assembly line folks.

The adjustment on the NC1 is actually super easy. Takes all of two minutes if even that long.

Like deny servicing your car in the future? Wow, what a threat, like you'd want to ever return...

Yep. I’ll never step foot in Napleton’s Acura again. I’ll turn in my car at the end of lease somewhere else. They lost a great customer all because of shoddy work and a smarmy GM.

Yep. I’ll never step foot in Napleton’s Acura again. I’ll turn in my car at the end of lease somewhere else. They lost a great customer all because of shoddy work and a smarmy GM.

Yep, high pressure guy when I was considering a purchase there. Walked away and bought in KC.

Would love to know what Acura's position is on this.

DocL, can you clarify which Napleton dealer just to be clear to everyone? I believe there is one in FL and one near Chicago.

West Palm Beach. I know Napleton’s also has a large dealer network in IL. I’d avoid all of their dealerships no matter where they are. Even the guys at Acura’s corporate headquarters couldn’t believe the poor service I received, however each dealership is independently owned. To make things right, Acura did pay for the second set of tires and I filed a dispute with Amex for the first set which were defective.

I’m sure my dealer would greatly appreciate availing of your approach, especially if it's that simple.

Open door. Pop two plastic plugs off on bottom of door. Loosen nuts that hold window regulator on slots. Adjust glass angle. Tighten nuts and replace plugs.

Took me longer to type that than it would take me to do it. If a dealer has to have a customer come in and tell them how to fix their car, that dealer really should hire a more competent NSX technician or train whoever they already have better.

Like I said, there are other things that can be done beyond seals and glass adjustment. But that’s really dependent on how good the technician is at going off the book and figuring things out on their own.

Open door. Pop two plastic plugs off on bottom of door. Loosen nuts that hold window regulator on slots. Adjust glass angle. Tighten nuts and replace plugs.

Took me longer to type that than it would take me to do it. If a dealer has to have a customer come in and tell them how to fix their car, that dealer really should hire a more competent NSX technician or train whoever they already have better.

Like I said, there are other things that can be done beyond seals and glass adjustment. But that’s really dependent on how good the technician is at going off the book and figuring things out on their own.

Thanks for your reply. I want my dealer to succeed for the benefit of other NC1 owners. This was their first attempt to address an NC1 with wind noise and I wanted them to have nuanced feedback and troubleshooting tips outside of what's already available.

Thanks for your reply. I want my dealer to succeed for the benefit of other NC1 owners. This was their first attempt to address an NC1 with wind noise and I wanted them to have nuanced feedback and troubleshooting tips outside of what's already available.

Based on your location, it’s either Denville or DCH Montclair? The latter I would think has had more NSXs go through their doors than Denville. But wow, over two years after the car went on sale till they got their first wind noise. Even for a low volume dealer, that’s pretty amazing. I fixed two before we got through 2016. Back then, American Honda hadn’t even heard about the problem yet. But two years later, now that it’s fsirly well known, there are lots of resources available to a technician tackling something for the first time that nobody else in the shop will have experience with (as will be the case with a NSX technician). They can call American Honda’s Tech Line which you mentioned they did already. They can also go on the Tech Line Forum where wind noises have been discussed ad nauseam and there are many details on how to fix them along with pictures. Of course that’s not something I can share with you, and I wouldn’t be surprised if I wasn’t even supposed to let you even know if its existence at all.

I got my car back yesterday after gas tank recall....... They had the car almost 2 weeks. A week of the delay was the fault of Acura for leaving out a seal and an O ring....... I'm in Denver, and I used Courtesy Acura, and even with the issues, they treated me like a VIP. I met the mechanic who was NSX certified, and a 30 year Acura mechanic. If you're in Colorado, I'd recommend you take your car to them. I do not believe that the other 2 Acura dealers in the Denver metro area have an NSX qualified mechanic. I was told that it was around 50 hours of labor to do the job, and that Acura allowed 10 hrs....... I think they came back and paid them 25 hrs. He said Acura undercuts them on the labor on all recalls..... Shame on Acura.......
When I arrived to pick the car up, it was in the indoor staging area all detailed and shiny...... It was still a bit surreal to look at it and then think, Wow, that's my car.......

50 hours? That's crazy, what did they have to do to need 50 hours of labor? Every tech that I've met feels they are being undercut when it comes to labor time.

We are absolutely being undercut the time. That said, 50 hours is obnoxiously long for this job. Something either went wrong or the tech got lost or confused with the instructions of the procedure. My first one took around 30 with me being overly cautious. Second one was right around 20. I feel that I could get down to 15 hours without compromising safety and risking damage to the vehicle. That’s still a fry cry away from the 10.2 we’ll get paid by American Honda. If you should ever need your fuel tank module(s) replaced in the future when the car is off warranty, guarantee that the dealer will charge you way more than 10 hours.

Back