• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX sequel decided: 6 cylinders

Listen dreamers!!!!!!!!.... My friend is a engineer at HONDA Motor. He told me the samething every year. That they won't make a new NSX or new engine for NSX. At least not within 5 years. Honda don't give a shit about NSX. All they care about is their profit and NSX is not making any profit.

topdaytrader said:
Listen dreamers!!!!!!!!.... My friend is a engineer at HONDA Motor. He told me the samething every year. That they won't make a new NSX or new engine for NSX. At least not within 5 years. Honda don't give a shit about NSX. All they care about is their profit and NSX is not making any profit.
TRUE TRUE!!!!!!SOUNDS LIKE EVERYONE WANTS CHAMPAGNE BUT ARE ON A BEER BUDGET.

I have suspected that this may be the case....

But it would be a real shame for Honda to let the NSX go... I think they still need a "Hero" car, profitable or not, to help boost their image and sales of lesser models.

But then again, they have a whole marketing team to think about this.

topdaytrader said:

Don't you notice how stupid this sounds as you're saying it??? They've kept the NSX around AT A LOSS for all of this time. We all know this already; it's not news and your imaginary friend at HONDA motor isn't required to find this out.

Riddle your "friend the engineer" this: if all Honda cares about is their profit, then why didn't they cancel the NSX in 1996??? In other words - why has he been telling you the SAME THING EVERY YEAR? If he's telling you the SAME THING EVERY YEAR, and yet the car stays in production, then he's obviously wrong (pretty basic logic I'd think).

There may never be another NSX, but it's already been proven that Honda *did* give a shit about the first one and *didn't* put profit above all else.

This is more than you can say for nearly any other company actually. Case in point is the Cayenne. An abomination that cheapens and dilutes a long heritage purely in the name of profit.

Cambo said:

But then again, they have a whole marketing team to think about this.
Yes they do. Just like Coca-Cola had when they came out with the "New Coke."

I agree, they need a flagship sportscar, and suspect they will keep the NSX. To pump money into F1 and not have one would seem to be ludicrous.

I guess Spookyp is right. Why should Europe's biggest car mag (in terms of circulation) publish something as a statement from Honda that is completely rubbish? They have a net of correspondents (also in Japan) that is not known yet as story inventers.

In this special case I couldn't see the interest of the mag to fake this news. No commercial advantage: It was only a 5 line column and no sensation here in Germany because only a few here care if there would be a new NSX or not.

Rai Zero said:
I think they should keep the NSX in the fat part of the sports car pool with the Corvettes/Boxster S/M3 etc..

You mean the S2000.:rolleyes: Or do you forget all the comparisons done in mags?

Originally posted by topdaytrader

Thanks for your imput. My girlfriend is an engineer for them, as well as her roommate, all his friends, etc... Oh, and they know as much as you little friend there. JACK! How many times do we have to cover this. Very few people here in the states are privy to any info regarding vehicles developed back in Japan by Honda. Not saying your wrong, but most would love to see you eat your words.

NsxJoy said:
Affordability is a good point, meaning it's NOT meant for everybody to afford one. I'd say keep it at 90k if there's a new one, 100k will be even better.
My point is this approach is not working. Ferrari is doing well with this approach, Acura not so well. BMW Z8 was in a similar position as the NSX is. It sold OK at first but the plug is being pulled because it's sales volume was not up to expectations and the biggest reason is because of is price. It sold 6000 in 3 years while the 911 turbo is selling 4000 a year at the same price.

I think the Z8 is a lot like the NSX in that it's georgous, exotic, beautifuly crafted etc... I'm sure if it was selling super strong BMW would keep producing it, but because it's sales are dropping off BMW pulls the plug.

http://www.edmunds.com/news/regularnews/articles/100134/article.html

I don't think a $90-100K NSX is going to sell 2000+ cars a year. And I think a company like Honda want's to sell 2000+ cars a year just like the NSX was selling when it was first introduced.

Rai,

I do not think that BMW needs the Z8 to display their company's engineering prowess.

Back in the late eighties Acura felt the need to show the world they had the greatest car engineers in the world. I like to think the product of said engineering is the basis for this site. :D

Edwardo said:
Rai,

I do not think that BMW needs the Z8 to display their company's engineering prowess.

That's true, it's more of a chopped and pieced together M5 but it was a style statement. And I think it is a very nice car.

To Gheba NSX: Just for the numbers in Germany you're right. Autobild has 988.000 printed, auto, motor&sport has 654.000 (only in Germany, there are many thousands more for the moreorless similar partner publications in other countries).

But: For me Autobild is not a magazine - it's some kind of newspaper due to the format, the paper and the printing quality. And: It's from the Springer press that has not a reputation here for being reliable (due to the "mother" paper "Bild-Zeitung"). And even if you call it a magazine it's not a serious one. If Autobild would have published something about the NSX I wouldn't have opened a thread here with it. Just my personal opinion.

NSX-Racer, I see what you mean... I read them both (Auto Bild is so cheap... 1.10 euro per issue... ;) and of course Auto, Motor & Sport is a lot better.

But for the price, as a toilet reading, Auto Bild is entertaining... :D

Last edited:
I also know many Honda engineers. Guess what, unless your engineer friend works in Tochigi in a particular top secret building, you friend comments are merely wishfull thinking.

Just because you work for Honda doesn't mean you have product knowledge for the entire line up. Honda is extremely secretive about this stuff, even to employees. Sometimes, they generate false news to stir things up.

Until official announcement, we don't know for sure, we can only speculate on certain facts. I believe it is probably due to the development of DNX since its platform/chassis can be used for the NSX. It's not that hard to make it since most of the development is done. It's called sharing common plaforms and all companies are doing it. Nissan/Infinit has 5 vehicles based on the FM platform. I agree with previous comments about pricing it at 60K, it will make it a more successful business wise.

After reading the "NSX" book that i got with my car (that nice hardback 70 page book) which illustrates the philosophy that went into the concept, design, and production of the NSX, I wonder if they really could completely re-do the NSX and still call it NSX. The concept of the car really seems to have been a one time deal....which i think is why they have never really done a major makeover of it to date.

Just my thoughts,

Matt

Cambo said:
IN AUSTRALIA : Theres a 2002 NSX-T for sale with 314km (demo) for $199k. I think there were something like 3 sold last year... !! :eek: Cam

That doesn't happen to be the imola-orange NSX pictured below? (which is ex-demo after featuring in a magazine)

Only 3 NSX's sold last year? Their marketing is obviously working. :p Explains why i haven't seen any '02/03 NSX's on the road.

I hate how the Australian government takes more than its fair share of tax... they should be encouraging the use of Exotic cars. :D

Attachments

• rja008nsx.jpg
    rja008nsx.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 416
No, the ex-demo one I mentioned was the Silver one at Rick Damelian's, Sydney.

Still... $55k depreciation in 314km... Thats over $175 per km!

Ouch! :rolleyes:

It seems to me that if you add a little more valve timing sophistication and a supercharger, horsepower and torque will be more than adequate for a great car . But look for 500 hp in the next gen Z06, maybe BMW M5, AMG Mercedes etc, so Honda won't be winning the horsepower wars.
At some point more horsepower gets absurd for a street car. Detroit Red Wing player Federov just totalled his new 660 hp Ferrarri Enzo.

JSecrest said:
At some point more horsepower gets absurd for a street car. Detroit Red Wing player Federov just totalled his new 660 hp Ferrarri Enzo.
WOW:eek:
<p>So how about this, take an S2000 chassis, make it a coup/T(different sheet metal), keep the interior and most suspension, add a 3.5L iVtec 6cyl 330Hp NA motor (current production engine block and some parts), Use the 6 speed (from the discontinued CL), and big brakes. Hopefully keep well below 3000 lbs (say 2800?) Market above S2000/boxer level (ie: target 911/viper market). Uses many parts/training already available Make a type R, and even better join with comptech to make a Type R/comptech with say 450hp/2600lbs (a tuner car and real viper killer).
Using many of the production parts, Honda could pull this off quickly and with minimal R&D costs.

Honda keeps the marque and a dealer draw car (plus many in-tangibles from a high end sports car, like press coverage). And satisfies the bean-counters by selling a volume sports car that at least covers the development costs is some limited volume.

Our generation NSX's would stay valuable as a pure exotic hand-built icon.

Pure speculation, but add some fantasy and delusion and you can imagine reality!

No Enzo here!

To gheba_nsx: As the opener of this thread I can't see any relation of your post to our topic here.

But just to make it clear because another one posted the same (false) story earlier here: According to the police Fedorov crashed a 2001 car. In 2001 there was no Enzo available. He bought the Enzo a while ago but he obviously crashed another car.

Always read police reports and thread topics carefuly!

Re: No Enzo here!

NSX-Racer said:
According to the police Fedorov crashed a 2001 car. In 2001 there was no Enzo available. He bought the Enzo a while ago but he obviously crashed another car.

The article in the link is very clear. It states that he crashed his red Ferrari, not the yellow Enzo that he had bought a month previously.

Now, where were we? Oh yes, I think we were designing the new NSX, and it will incorporate all of the rumors we have heard about it, including the ones that conflict with each other. :D

Re: No Enzo here!

NSX-Racer said:
To gheba_nsx: As the opener of this thread I can't see any relation of your post to our topic here.

But just to make it clear because another one posted the same (false) story earlier here: According to the police Fedorov crashed a 2001 car. In 2001 there was no Enzo available. He bought the Enzo a while ago but he obviously crashed another car.

As a poster in "your" thread I followed-up a post that already was speaking about Fedorov accident.

... and as already said, the article spaeaks about the Ferrari Enzo. Remember: Always read police reports and thread topics carefuly! :D

To gheba: The remark about the accident was not meant for you but for JSecrest who posted before: "Detroit Red Wing player Federov just totalled his new 660 hp Ferrarri Enzo". Your attachment helped to clarify that this is not true.

No flames, back to normal business please...

Redesigning the NSX is a fun sport that we all take part in to some extent. But it's humorous how many of us talk about the acceptability of a $90K NSX or a $130K NSX priced in the Ferrari range, but so many posts on Prime seem to concern the cheapest way to fix or replace parts. Kind of like this or this? No offense intended to the posters of the threads. Just realistically, most drivers appear to be on a tight budget (I know I am), but we talk as if we'd drop $90-$130K the instant a redesigned NSX is offered. I know I'd like to but can't, and I think P-car and F-car drivers would just stick with their favored brands even if a newer, faster, lighter, better NSX came out next year. Just my opinion.

Back