• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX service in the Seattle area

I must be getting old
I have absolutely no idea what you just said.

LOL... sorry, I was too wordy. SarcasticaLy said that almost surely Jon Lai would be working on any NSX's at Acura of Lynnwood if he was working that day. So I meant to say that it'd be nice to know which days he's NOT working so that I can avoid those days to take my car in. Because I only want Jon to be working on my NSX and if the service dept won't allow you to specify your tech, then this is what I have to do. Hope that makes more sense. LOL

I work at a Honda dealership. You can specify a service tech, but I advise you work with that service tech's hours! That is, find out what day he/she comes in the morning, set an appointment for that morning, and bring the car in early to get in line before service opens so he/she will be able to start on your car for their first project of the day. That means you will patiently wait until the service advisor is ready to help you, but you will be first in line.
If you are late, that is another story, and that is now your problem if you don't get your tech as they have work to do and will start on the car that is there ready to be worked on.

I work at a Honda dealership. You can specify a service tech, but I advise you work with that service tech's hours! That is, find out what day he/she comes in the morning, set an appointment for that morning, and bring the car in early to get in line before service opens so he/she will be able to start on your car for their first project of the day. That means you will patiently wait until the service advisor is ready to help you, but you will be first in line.
If you are late, that is another story, and that is now your problem if you don't get your tech as they have work to do and will start on the car that is there ready to be worked on.

Thanks for the insight on how dealers work. One question though... will service advisors disclose a specific tech's work hours so that you can schedule yourself intentionally to be the 1st car of the day for that tech? I have no problem adjusting my schedule around a tech I want to work on my car, but just don't know if that is confidential info or if they willingly give it out?

Well, not saying that Mark is wrong, but a lot of dealerships operate differently. Anyway, that's always a good way to go tho, especially since you have no rapport with the tech yet. But if you're as adamant to them are you sound to me, Im sure you'll be the squeaky wheel that gets oiled.

No, they don't need 3 days to work on my door latch. To add to this little Dealership Operations 101, techs get a car (in this case, my NSX), diagnose (pop the door panels), get parts from parts dept (order the grommet to attach the rod assembly in the latch which took 2 days), then install and verify proper operation of repairs (door opens from outside). That's what SHOULD happen. Hiccups and ethic play a role in those things too. Ethics as in if a tech cares to double check his work or just do it n on to the next. I could go on. So yea, long story long, I was quoted 2 hours for the work but once he got in there, it ended up being 1.5 hours.

Ok, so I just got off the phone with the advisor and apparently that's how all the NSX customers start out their service experience - "Can I exclusively get John to work on my car?" He said yes, absolutely. And he works on Tue-Fri. If you should happen to bring it in say on a Saturday, it would sit there until Tuesday. Oh, don't think John is the only guy around. John Zahn at Zahntech is also very good. He's closer to you. And Charles (Acura of Bellevue) is most likely a GREAT option as he owns one himself.

Ok, so I just got off the phone with the advisor and apparently that's how all the NSX customers start out their service experience - "Can I exclusively get John to work on my car?" He said yes, absolutely. And he works on Tue-Fri. If you should happen to bring it in say on a Saturday, it would sit there until Tuesday. Oh, don't think John is the only guy around. John Zahn at Zahntech is also very good. He's closer to you. And Charles (Acura of Bellevue) is most likely a GREAT option as he owns one himself.

Oh, so they said that yes, I can exclusively get Jon to work on my NSX? That's great. Thanks for verifying that. I wonder how many NSX's they get to work on. This Jon will be a busy guy if there are a lot! :)

I hope they don't charge a special higher rate for requesting him!!!

Nah, they don't see too many. I cant imagine any place seeing "ALOT" of NSXs other than Autowave and the other popular one in SoCal. The name escapes me right now. There wont be any extra charge. Work is work. However, he did say there's an extra $40 for a typical $99 alignment "cuz the NSX is different." Not a big deal to me so I didn't ask any questions about it.

But yeah, good luck. Let us know how your experience goes.

Another reason they don't see many NSX's is because it is a HONDA. They are not like BMW, Audi, MB, that visit a dealership a couple times a year to keep all systems working like new.
BTW, what I mentioned about working with dealerships in post 27 also applied when I took my BMW's to BMW Seattle and BMW Bellevue: same process for getting a specific tech as we use here.

Back