• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX slammed in Car&Driver, R8 a favorite

April 2007 Car & Driver By Barry Winfield, p.51 in an article about the new Audi R8
--------------
"...but none of us really needed Ickx behind the wheel to see that this new-generation, mid-engined sports car has dynamic qualities that make the once-supreme Acura NSX feel downright unstable in comparison.
Okay, that's an old car. Even compared with a contemporary rival - a Porsche 911, say (see page 53) - the R8 has stability that makes driving at the limit feel easy with little of the tight-laced discipline that causes the 911 to get bouncy and sudden in extreme situations, and certainly none of the reminders the Porsche provides about an inequitable weight distribution. At 44/56 front-to-rear, the Audi R8 feels just about perfectly balanced, given its all-wheel-drive system, larger rear tires, and 3500 pounds..."

Its sort of a back-handed compliment. Stating the once supreme NSX, i.e. it was the bench mark for mid-engines , and that it has fallen from its graces at the top. He also states that it its not fair as the NSX was an older design, if its taken 16+ years for a car company to throw the NSX of its throne, that is really saying something about the initial design:wink:

NSX is faster around the track.
NSX is sexier.
NSX holds its value better.

When you drive down the street with an Audi, people don't say "Wow, look at that Audi!"

Enough said.

you sound like an idiot....
u drive down the street in an R8 and they say HOLY CRAP WHAT WAS THAT..

u drive down the street in an nsx and ya get looked at but not stared at....and most people say nothing

NSX is sexier.
When you drive down the street with an Audi, people don't say "Wow, look at that Audi!"
Enough said.

That's so funny :smile: :smile: :smile:

At my work, the Audi R8 is maybe the most command background picture on the PC at the moment. And there has been a lot of talk about it (even though no one can afford it).
In Europe, the Audi is held in high esteem and ANY Japanese carmaker is just 2nd rate to most people.
So, they didn't like it much when I was explaining that the whole design philosopy of the R8 looks like a one-on-one copy from the original NSX design-template.
With the exception of course that Audi manages to build an aluminum sportscar weighing 3500 lbs, almost necessitating the V8 engine that Honda choosed to do without.

It sounds like a compliment to me. Nice to know that an old car still makes it into a comparo with top billed machines like the 911 and R8. And of course it is better. A better car over 16 years span??? To be expected, except MT talks about how BMW and Mercedes haven't even been able to do it. From where I sit, our cars have held up pretty well, but they are VERY long in the tooth.

NSX is sexier.

Enough said.

Thanks for the constructive feedback..:cool:
I guess I'm just not a Audi fan...
In retrospect after a little bit of research, it seems that those assertions may not be completely accurate so my apologies for having spoken before having data..

u drive down the street in an nsx and ya get looked at but not stared at....and most people say nothing

No need for name calling now.....this is suppose to be a discussion and not name calling.

I for myself don't care for Audi's in anyway.......do I think they are nice cars?......yes I do, but would I buy one? Probably not. :cool:

Last edited:
i think those magazines are designed to sell NEW cars anyways...

around a track, and in most corners R8 would be the big loser.

R8 looks nice and fast as heck in straight... but it's still a family car. IMO

The easiest way to sound like an idiot on the Internet is to use juvenile chatroom abbreviations like "u" and "ya" instead of proper English. :tongue:

how is it that bmi dvd's from japan say the opposite???? who's really saying the truth???

They don't say the opposite, they're always complimenting the 911 and Gallardo, and I'm sure they will love the R8 (except they prefer edgy cars like the Gallardo more).

In particular they criticize the NSX Type S for it's difficult handling at the limit, characterizing it as being similar to the Lotus Elise. Excellent up to the limit, but once you go over, it's hard to gather it back up. They note the NSX-R is a lot better in this respect. As a Zanardi owner, I agree with their characterization.

i think those magazines are designed to sell NEW cars anyways...

Exactally.
As soon as I saw 3500lbs I laughed.

Hey what were it's performance stats?

That's so funny :smile: :smile: :smile:

At my work, the Audi R8 is maybe the most command background picture on the PC at the moment. And there has been a lot of talk about it (even though no one can afford it).
In Europe, the Audi is held in high esteem and ANY Japanese carmaker is just 2nd rate to most people.
So, they didn't like it much when I was explaining that the whole design philosopy of the R8 looks like a one-on-one copy from the original NSX design-template.
With the exception of course that Audi manages to build an aluminum sportscar weighing 3500 lbs, almost necessitating the V8 engine that Honda choosed to do without.

Japanese carmakers as second rate? I guess I'm weird for valuing reliability and simple functionality over flash and frills.

Hey what were it's performance stats?

420 hp @ 7800 rpm, 317 lb-ft torque @ 4500-6000 rpm
curb weight 3440 lb. (est.)
0-60: 4.3 sec
1/4 mile 12.7 @ 111.0
60-0: 115 ft.
80-0: 204 ft.
Lateral Accel: 0.97 g
Slalom: 70.2 mph

Tested at ambient 36F, 2550 ft. elevation

Worth noting that the R8 is an aluminum car as well. Luxo stuff is heavy suff!

It's going to be quite an interesting car. The new Nissan and Acura offerings along with the R8 will provided lots of discussion

My NSX is 16 years older than the R8...and it will still make people turn their heads more:cool: ...The R8 has some neat lines and it looks good from some angles...but...I actually like a modded out Audi TT better.

Dam

No need for name calling now.....this is suppose to be a discussion and not name calling.

I for myself don't care for Audi's in anyway.......do I think they are nice cars?......yes I do, but would I buy one? Probably not. :cool:

FWIW i called no one anything, i said he SOUNDS like an idiot, an idiot is somone who is an utterly foolish or senseless person.

i dont know the guy but by his statement this is what he sounded like to me.

you comment that you dont like audi is appreciated, its not like i own the company :)

i like you have a strong opinion on cars and would never buy a honda or acura, 99.999% of the time they feel cheap and like plastic. (the nsx is obviously a different car for them). but thats just me...

420 hp @ 7800 rpm, 317 lb-ft torque @ 4500-6000 rpm
curb weight 3440 lb. (est.)
0-60: 4.3 sec
1/4 mile 12.7 @ 111.0
60-0: 115 ft.
80-0: 204 ft.
Lateral Accel: 0.97 g
Slalom: 70.2 mph

Tested at ambient 36F, 2550 ft. elevation

Worth noting that the R8 is an aluminum car as well. Luxo stuff is heavy suff!

It's going to be quite an interesting car. The new Nissan and Acura offerings along with the R8 will provided lots of discussion

Wow so this $120k plus car is only a fender length ahead of a good running NA2 coupe. Oh yeah were do I write the check:rolleyes:

The easiest way to sound like an idiot on the Internet is to use juvenile chatroom abbreviations like "u" and "ya" instead of proper English. :tongue:

Thanks I will have to remember that we are dealing with the older edumacated crowd here huh....people who have time to look over every post critiquing the grammar.

Please tell me your 21K posts are from a better use of bandwidth that that:rolleyes:

edumacated=educated, and yes it was meant as funny

C&D
----
2008 Audi R8
Vehicle Type: mid-engine, 4-wheel-driver, 2-passenger, 2-door coupe

Estimate Price as Tested: $130,000

Engine Type: DOHC 32-valve V-8, aluminum block and heads, direct fuel injection

Displacement: 254 cu in. 4163cc
Power (SAE net) 420 bhp @ 7800 rpm
Torque (SAE net) 317 lb-ft @4500

Transmission: 6-speed manual with automated shifting and clutch

Wheelbase: 104.3 in Length: 174.4 in Width 75in Height: 49.3 in
Curb weight: 3500 lb (est)

Odomoter on test vehicle: 1800

Wheels + Tires
front: 8.5 x 19 in
rear: 10.5 x 19 in cast/aluminum

Handling Roadholding: .98g
Understeer: Minimal
Top speed: 187 drag ltd, mfr's claim
0-60 (test result): 4.0 seconds
1/4 mile: 12.6 seconds at 113 mph
Braking 70 to 0 = 157 feet

Weather:
Temp: 39 F
Humidity: 25%
Barometric Pressure: 27.3 in Hg

Thanks I will have to remember that we are dealing with the older edumacated crowd here huh....people who have time to look over every post critiquing the grammar.

Please tell me your 21K posts are from a better use of bandwidth that that:rolleyes:

edumacated=educated, and yes it was meant as funny

His 21k posts have been used to help educate just about everyone this forum. He knows more about the NSX than just about anyone here. How about you leave his bandwidth alone. As I've yet to see you post anything useful!

Oh and he's not an armchair general either as his car is constantly at the track!

Last edited:
Thanks for the constructive feedback..:cool:
I guess I'm just not a Audi fan...
In retrospect after a little bit of research, it seems that those assertions may not be completely accurate so my apologies for having spoken before having data..

Wow! So few people have the balls to retract something and admit when they were wrong. Nicely done Sir!

Regards,

Patrick

FWIW i called no one anything, i said he SOUNDS like an idiot, an idiot is somone who is an utterly foolish or senseless person.

i dont know the guy but by his statement this is what he sounded like to me.

you comment that you dont like audi is appreciated, its not like i own the company :)

i like you have a strong opinion on cars and would never buy a honda or acura, 99.999% of the time they feel cheap and like plastic. (the nsx is obviously a different car for them). but thats just me...

Well if you said that to me I would find it offensive.....like I said I have nothing against you nor am I attacking you in anyway. I am just simply saying there was no need to say something like that to him. If you disagree with someone just say so.....there is no need to say someone sounds like anything. Just disagree and keep the discussion going politely.

By the way I like your paint job. Good job and keep up the good work.

:smile:

come again:confused: you called this Family car?? :eek: Like my nsx and the miata, there's not even a space for my 7 lbs. dog.

2008-audi-r8.jpg

If Acura don't get the nsx right, I bet I'll one of the proud owner of the R8, in 2017:biggrin:

By the way, anyone liked the Lemans better??
6994b6ecb773b2c041fbac7cf0ab6af7.jpg

Back