• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Steering Rack Recall

I am negotiating with Honda Australia & Honda Japan about compensation for faulty and worn bushes in the steering rack.

This is an age and heat related issue, with cars in Florida need bushes replaced at just 30,000 miles.

The bushes wear and the steering quality falls and clunks.

A $7,000 replacement steering rack does not solve this problem and a private replacement with oil impregnated bronze bushes is a permanent solution for $1,500, plus labour to remove and fit the repaired rack.

This problem is due to poor design and construction by Honda Japan.

Grateful to hear if other also want to financially compensated ? ? ?

Best wishes john bell

rubber only lives for so long should Honda be on the hook for that I think NOPE

Great, but my NSX has electronic steering assist, and so it is dramatically more complex.

Best wishes and thank you

John Bell (Perth Western Australia)

I think they'd only recall it if it was a financial risk not to (i.e. people suing due to death/dismemberment).

Seeing as the NSX was fairly limited production and stopped production over 10 years ago, I doubt they'd recall a single piece of the NSX.

And to be honest, while $1.5 K + labour isn't chump change, I think that's fair for a permanent solution (especially on our cars).

As Shawn mentioned, if it's rubber, it's a wearable..

Good luck to you though.

Lucas

I'm behind you on this. My EPS rack makes some terrible noises, which I assume to be the worn bushings, and it's twitchy with small inputs.

Any idea what causes that?

To the OP-

My 1997 (EPS) spent its first 8 years in FL and by the time I purchased it in 2011 at 87k mi I knew it was due for a steering rack rebuild soon. Read my threads for more information. As far as financial compensation, ask them if they will also pay us for what we spend on timing belt and water pump.. Those bastards at Honda poorly designed these wearables :p

Its not about rubber tyres. Honda cheated and put a steel steering rod, unsupported without a bearing or bush in an aluminium pipe - to save weight.

From y personal experience, even the Chinese tanks in Vietnam has grease soaked rags around drive shaft on wheels. These were replaced every day owns from 44 gall on drums lashed to the back of their tanks.

Honda did not even both to use this reliable third world engineering. I'm sure there were Japenese engineers debating their cheap ad nasty short-cut, when everything else abut their car was and still is worlds leading ! Cheers john bell

- - - Updated - - -

Well I replaced the water pump at 100,000km as a precautionary measure, even though it did not need it. Haven't jumped the water pump fence yet.

The key issue is that design and construction of the steering rack by Honda, who trades on a name for quality was less than simple ad reliable third world standards.

Honda must pay for repairs to this substandard engineering, which is a shame when so much about this car was and is world leading !

Cheers john bell

- - - Updated - - -

Only someone who is dishonest would put a steel steeling rod in an aluminium pipe, without a bearing or bush, which would have been a lifetime solution ad in all other steering racks. cheers john bell (nothing to do with rubber my friend).

More power to you if you can pull this off. If I were them and you came to talk to me about a quarter century old car where the steering made noises I would show you the door. I am willing to bet there are more than a few cars of the same era with way worse issues.

With that said, keep us posted as it is an interesting topic.

Back