• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Succesor to be announced tonight? 7/11/05?

Hi Guys!! :)

Long time no see.

So those rumours of the death of the NSX turned out to be true after all. The 2005 NSX is the end of the line. It's actually kinda sad. It's unfortunate that snobbery [for the most part] kept so many people from buying one. They truly only cheated themselves.

Reading through the article - one could conclude [as I did] that when the 'current generation NSX' ends - so too will the NAME. The replacement vehicle is referred to as an "ultra high-performance vehicle". It is not being called "the next NSX". [at least not by John Mendel, the senior vice president of automobile operations] Perhaps a new name would be more fitting anyways. I wouldn't call any kid of mine Elvis Presley - would YOU?! lol

Honda had it easy - relatively speaking - back in 1991. The automotive landscape has changed dramatically since then. You can now buy a 425 horsepower Chrysler sedan - for goodness sakes!! [the most h.p. you could get in 1991 Chrysler Imperial - for instance - was 150 h.p.] To say that the next Honda/Acura supercar will be 'as groundbreaking as the first' is kinda like saying the 'Titanic is unsinkable'. It's very UnHonda-like to even say such a thing. [so I was surprised to hear it] Besides - no one should dare to flatter themselves.

I wonder what Honda/Acura has up its sleeves. Hmmm.......

I'm hoping it's completely different. Front engine, SH-AWD, V8 with 600 h.p., 0 to 60 in 2.9 seconds and priced to complete directly with the Z06. Oh baby!!

By the way - on June 30th, 2005 - My NSX and I celebrated [by going for a nice long drive] our 10th year together. :smile:

Craig!! :)

Wow! I come home from work today and see this major announcement and the large number of replies already. We can all rejoice and be relieved that Honda has finally made it official, ending the speculation that they're developing an ultra high performance car. But I will lament on the passing of the first generation NSX. Although I know it was a long time coming, I can at least be relieved Honda is coming up with a replacement. I hope it will give Ferrari some competition so that it will end the ridiculous long wait lists people have to be on to buy one. My name supposedly will come up in two years for an F430 after having placed my name on the wait list over a year ago. If this falls through, I hope there will be enough info about this new replacement from Honda to make it a great alternative. If so, I wonder if I'll sell my current NSX or keep it because I know I would want another one in the future if I do end up selling it. I guess I am overjoyed that Honda finally made it official! :biggrin:

If I read it right the release said nothing about a "new" NSX or "next generation" NSX so it seems that any new sports car made by Honda whether marketed by Acura or Honda will not be a NSX but a new name.
Goodbye aluminum hello composite.

Re: announcement tonight 7/11/05?

ANYTIME said:
UPDATE: we've just learned that "this evening" means 7PM Pacific Time.

OK, it's 7:15PM Pacific... where's my news? I'm starting to feel like the kid waiting for Santa to come down the chimney...

Timbo said:
OK, it's 7:15PM Pacific... where's my news? I'm starting to feel like the kid waiting for Santa to come down the chimney...

You are kidding right?

Regarding when the new model will be ready, note the following quote in the article in today's USA Today: "The car's under development, but it's not right around the corner, in the immediate future," Spencer says. (Spencer is a spokesman for Acura, his employer.)

I'll say it again. Don't expect it for at least 24 months, maybe more. But at least they're working on it, and it's coming.

Timbo said:
Oh man, first Pink Floyd reunites , and now this...
EXCUUUUUSE ME, but FIRST Queen reunited this year, THEN PF, THEN THIS announcement... boy, *some* people's kids :)

thx *god* another music lover felt the earth move this year...

hal
(who is somewhat conflicted over the Queen-thing, since Fred's dead and John isn't having anything to do with them... not really Queen, is it? ;)

nsxtasy said:
But it's not. The HSC was created with "over 300 horsepower". If one draws the logical inference that that probably means "less than 400 horsepower", the new car will hardly be "groundbreaking". I think that was true even when the HSC was first shown, and that's why it was never approved. (This is pure conjecture on my part.)

I think they've got a lot of development work yet to do. Look for it no sooner than 24 months from now, and probably later than that.

Maybe not! It will be very easy to know soon; next official Honda press releases ( giving more details about the new car ) or presentation of a new concept supercar.

I say maybe because while your analysis makes lot of sense there is also a logical possibility that the HSC concept corrected and slightly upgraded could be the car.

My understanding of this official commitment from Honda is they finally accepted to give their UHP car a V8 and hence accepted playing in the BIG HP league ( far more than just over 300 hp ).

Maybe the HSC platform could integrate it... or not.

I tend to believe that Honda will enhance the HSC.

Pure conjecture in my part also!

What do you think guys about the multiple HSC presences in several motor shows during several years?

Could this be a plus for the HSC?

Whatever will happen, the NSX will always remain one my favorite and nicest sports car.

This car will be very desirable in 15 to 20 years...

Bigglezworth said:
And now I know I have 1 of 697 originally released in Canada. :biggrin:
Just out of curiosity, does it come with an engine block heater in Canada?

effer said:
Maybe not! It will be very easy to know soon; next official Honda press releases ( giving more details about the new car ) or presentation of a new concept supercar.

I say maybe because while your analysis makes lot of sense there is also a logical possibility that the HSC concept corrected and slightly upgraded could be the car.
But that comment from Mike Spencer (see above) makes it sound like the new car is still quite a ways away from production.

If I were setting odds in Vegas, I would put the over-under at 27 months. :D

NSXROX said:

Nope, just a warning from your friendly local Acura dealer not to drive it in the winter, unless you put snow tires on it.

Believe it or not I've seen 2 out there with salt stains and slush all over them. What a shame. :frown:

queenlives said:
EXCUUUUUSE ME, but FIRST Queen reunited this year, THEN PF, THEN THIS announcement... boy, *some* people's kids :)

Actually, the sequence was:

First my beloved sports team wins the World Series. Wait: 86 years.

Then my favorite rock band reunites. Wait: 25 years.

And now this. Wait: about 8 years.

A good year indeed in Timboland: priceless. :cool:

(even if I was a day late to the party!)

swbatte said:
Nope, just a warning from your friendly local Acura dealer not to drive it in the winter, unless you put snow tires on it.

Believe it or not I've seen 2 out there with salt stains and slush all over them. What a shame. :frown:

Hi

I have had a few runs with the NSX in the wintertime on icey roads. Not a problem, but my NSX is so low so I would not do it again.

Take a look here

There is a guy in Canada which drives his NSX all year long and it is not a problem.

The risk is ofcourse much higher. I tend to drive the NSX only when the weather is good. Because I can enjoy it more in the dry vs in the wet.

The NSX was built to be used. Many say that it is more than a car and I tend to agree. But it would be a shame to let it be a garage queen too.

I am really looking forward to more news about the new "NSX".

Regards

NSXROX said:

No block heater is included with a new NSX unless you request one be installed. An owner in Winnipeg drove his NSX year round with no block heater and he said it started no problem at -30C.

I'm not happy the NSX is discontinued. It means I will never own a new NSX. In fairness to Acura Canada I had plenty of chances but I didn't want a targa top and by the time I got over that they discontinued the automatic transmission. Maybe I can lease a US model? :wink:

If someone bought a used NSX, why wouldn't they be a Honda customer?

They most likely bring it back to a dealership to have the service performed thereby exposing themselves to other new models on the showroom floor each time. In addition, they may opt to replace the worn seat, or upgrade to newer rims, and do things the first owner may not have found it necessary to do.

The "used" NSX will be seen by the second owner's neighbors and friends which draw more attention to the Honda product line.

A second hand owner of the NSX will be just as proud and "spread the word", as one of our members signature states, about how great Honda/Acura's are, generating free publicity.

And yes, one can say that the second owner is only a replacement to the first buyer in Honda's bottom line for the sale and service, but don't forget, that first owner most likely purchased another Honda product. That's the great thing about Honda, their brand loyalty.

But in the end, long live the NSX.

I heard a rumor that Honda/Acura has been keeping track of who bought the NSX new and still has it in their possesion. As a reward for being so loyal, those owners will be given the privelage of buying an NSX-R at cost and modified for left hand drive in the U.S. Of course this was just what I heard..... :biggrin:

Tony Montoya said:
No block heater is included with a new NSX unless you request one be installed. An owner in Winnipeg drove his NSX year round with no block heater and he said it started no problem at -30C.

I'm not happy the NSX is discontinued. It means I will never own a new NSX. In fairness to Acura Canada I had plenty of chances but I didn't want a targa top and by the time I got over that they discontinued the automatic transmission. Maybe I can lease a US model? :wink:

There's a guy here in London with a red 91 that was found in a barn after an old man passed away. It is automatic, red and has 5000km on it. He may just be willing to sell it if you if you're still interested in a like new hard top auto. Let me know, and I'll see if I can put you two in touch.

nsxtasy said:
That's all? Mine took 30 years. I saw them on their farewell tour in 1975, and this summer I'm seeing them on their reunion tour.

Loggins & Messina? Interesting choice! I remember Footloose from the mid 80s, but that's about it.

Chicago.. so if you're either a Cubs or White Sox fan, then you've waited more than my 86 years too (the only 2 teams in baseball that can say that! :tongue: ).

And you bought your car in 1991, so you have me beat there too.

I guess its true, good things come...

Quoting from the USA Today article,

"
The aluminum-body, midengine two-seater can't meet 2006 emissions and safety regulations without prohibitively expensive overhauling. "The bureaucrats have harpooned one of the best sports cars on the road," laments Acura spokesman Mike Spencer.
"
So was it the 'bureaucrats' who really killed the NSX? :mad: Or was Honda using this as an excuse?

Back