• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Succesor to be announced tonight? 7/11/05?

I've been following this post for the past few days and thought I would add my view on things. The cancellation of the NSX is tough news … especially with such strong exotic sales worldwide. A friend of mine captured it well in saying that he was shocked about the low current sales numbers – a few hundred - in that there is really THAT MANY people willing to pay such huge prices for the current model. I certainly can't afford to buy a current model, and even if I could, I would opt for the used vehicle that represents almost everything similar. That just me - getting the biggest bang for the buck.

That said, l'm like many others - hopeful that a new iteration would be better, faster etc but build on the existing strengths and with a possible price drop. With the Z06 at $65K US perhaps Acura/Honda got scared off? I know the Vette is “only a lowly Chevy”, but the performance/dollar ratio must without question terrify ALL makers of fast cars. Do Exotic car buyers really shop GM? I doubt it. Besides the NSX has a massive following, many of whom may now be grown up enough – (i.e. making good $$$) - to be new car customers for a new NSX.

Last edited:
I doubt the NSX successor will be a huge deal. The market has proven that it won't support a Honda in the "halo" pricing space.

Also, a V10 F1 engine is irrelevant. Those are super short-stroke plants w/ pneumatic drivetrains.

However, I recall a press release several years ago from Honda which mentioned that they were in development of a 4.0L V8 which would produce 381kW, or 509hp. That would certainly be "groundbreaking."

Anything around 120hp/L or higher in a big engine would be groundbreaking, really.

Bigglezworth said:
...Besides the NSX has a massive following, many of whom may now be grown up enough – (i.e. making good $$$) - to be new car customers for a new NSX.

I wasn't grown up when I bought my NSX 6 years ago and I won't be grown up when I buy the new one..... :smile:

liftshard said:
I doubt the NSX successor will be a huge deal. The market has proven that it won't support a Honda in the "halo" pricing space.

Also, a V10 F1 engine is irrelevant. Those are super short-stroke plants w/ pneumatic drivetrains.

However, I recall a press release several years ago from Honda which mentioned that they were in development of a 4.0L V8 which would produce 381kW, or 509hp. That would certainly be "groundbreaking."

Anything around 120hp/L or higher in a big engine would be groundbreaking, really.

I agree. I doubt we'll see a V10, F1 derived engine. The only other cars I can think of that are like that would be the ENZO or the F50. I don't think Honda will make the jumb from our 3.2 V6 engine to something like that. Although there's always wishing!

White92 said:
I agree. I doubt we'll see a V10, F1 derived engine. The only other cars I can think of that are like that would be the ENZO or the F50. I don't think Honda will make the jumb from our 3.2 V6 engine to something like that. Although there's always wishing!

http://world.honda.com/news/2005/c050720_a.html

< Takeo Fukui >We are now focused on the development of a new model to succeed the NSX for a new era. We would like to debut a new super sports car equipped with a V10 engine in 3 to 4 years. Please look forward to seeing the NSX successor.

scottjua said:
Wait... will it ever be affordable???...
Well now that just depends on how much money you make doesn't it. :rolleyes:

V10!!! Wow what news!!!

Re: NSX Succesor just announced on July 20

Hey the Honda President in his state of the union finally addressed the NSX. Had to read the whole thing to get the following, and I quote "We are now focused on the development of a new model to succeed the NSX for a new era. We would like to debut a new super sports car equipped with a V10 engine in 3 to 4 years. Please look forward to seeing the NSX successor".

Very Cool,

Manny :biggrin: :biggrin:

Automotive News has additional details on the upcoming V10 NSX replacement (more of a rephrasing than more information, but there is a bit of info there):

Honda says it will build a V10 engine; new powerplant scheduled for NSX replacement
YUZO YAMAGUCHI | Automotive News
Posted Date: 7/20/05

TOKYO -- Honda Motor Co. has long maintained that it wouldn't develop a V8 production engine.

But it now says it will develop a V10.

Honda will install the powerful engine in a successor of the current NSX sports car, which is powered by a V6. Production of the current NSX will stop at the end of this year.

The V10 will be more powerful than any other engine Honda has built for its production vehicles.

The NSX successor will debut in "three to four years," says Takeo Fukui, Honda's president. He would not elaborate the plan. The new sports car will be sold worldwide.

It isn't known if Honda plans to use the V10 in any other vehicles."What we're aiming at next is not a V8 but a V10," says Motoatsu Shiraishi, president of Honda R&D Co., Honda's engineering arm. "We've got to be the top of a top (group) in producing engines."

calexand said:

Honda will install the powerful engine in a successor of the current NSX sports car, which is powered by a V6. Production of the current NSX will stop at the end of this year.

The V10 will be more powerful than any other engine Honda has built for its production vehicles.

Kinda makes you feel all warm and fuzzy, doesn't it? :smile:

GREAAAAAAAAAT NEWS!!!! :biggrin:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/58505/time_called_on_nsx.html

The Honda NSX is to be axed after 15 years of production - but the Japanese manufacturer has officially confirmed that a successor is on the way. A spokesman said: "We are committed to having a high-performance model in future." Meanwhile, enthusiasts have a final chance to buy the current NSX, as Honda is bringing 12 limited-edition models finished in unique colours to the UK.

These last 12 special cars will last the UK dealers up until the next model comes out, with the amount they sell each year. I doubt the 12 special ones will happen. The special colours could well be combinations of colours, because Honda has a lot of odd colours to get rid of.

Tan seats and ivory carpet anyone?

kam3ham3 said:
What about the lime green NSX? Orange interior maybe?

I actually saw a lime green NSX with Orange interior in Japan at NSX Fiesta 1999. It had yellow rims too.

I'm pretty sure it was all factory. All those colors (and rims) were part of the special order program in Japan. In Japan, you could pretty much order it any way you liked it. There were custom colors, custom rim colors, custom interior colors, custom stitching, custom trim, etc.

There are so many more options for the NSX in Japan that we could never get. Go to their site here.. http://www.honda.co.jp/auto-lineup/nsx/

If you read Japanese, great. If not, try tranlating it using babel fish or something similar. You can 2 tone seats, or even a black top if you wish. I was looking through it and it appears that you can get an NSX-R with red or black seats and you don't even have to get Championship White. There are other colors to choose from too. (I'm not sure why you wouldn't want CW though.) Maybe it was lost in translation or I could be wrong.

I've got 1/43 scale models of the NSX Type-R in red, white, and yellow. All black roofs and all with white wheels. Also have an '01 Type-S in a lime green color with silver wheels. It actually grows on you.

White92 said:
There are so many more options for the NSX in Japan that we could never get. Go to their site here.. http://www.honda.co.jp/auto-lineup/nsx/

If you read Japanese, great. If not, try tranlating it using babel fish or something similar. You can 2 tone seats, or even a black top if you wish. I was looking through it and it appears that you can get an NSX-R with red or black seats and you don't even have to get Championship White. There are other colors to choose from too. (I'm not sure why you wouldn't want CW though.) Maybe it was lost in translation or I could be wrong.

Actually, I was looking through that site last night, and it seems that with the last year of production, they've scaled down the choices for custom order. But, it's still a lot more than what we can get here. There used to be a lot more choices for exterior colors, interior colors, two tones, dash trim, wheel color, wheel design, stitching, etc.

Ben said:
According to this article, we could see a concept of the V-10 NSX sucessor as early as late 2006.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=106539

That makes sense. If it's to be released for sale in 08-09, we should start seeing something hitting the auto shows in the next few years. Or maybe they'll just surprise us all, not show anything at all at car shows and then absolutely blow us all away with the new car. No hints, no prototype displayed anywhere. Just "Here's the new car, we know it's bad ass and so do you now!"

calexand said:
Honda says it will build a V10 engine; new powerplant scheduled for NSX replacement
YUZO YAMAGUCHI | Automotive News
Posted Date: 7/20/05

TOKYO -- Honda Motor Co. has long maintained that it wouldn't develop a V8 production engine.

The NSX successor will debut in "three to four years," says Takeo Fukui, Honda's president. He would not elaborate the plan. The new sports car will be sold worldwide.

It isn't known if Honda plans to use the V10 in any other vehicles."What we're aiming at next is not a V8 but a V10," says Motoatsu Shiraishi, president of Honda R&D Co., Honda's engineering arm. "We've got to be the top of a top (group) in producing engines."

If you build it they will come...

Well, if they make the next NSX "as revolutionary" as the current NSX was in '91 combined with a V10 engine... I will buy one!

Back