• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX test mule spotted running against MP412C, R8 and 458

good eye...now we need some pics of this mule.......:cool:

Awesome. Great standards to measure by. I just hope it competes favorably.

Crosses fingers and saving the dough.

So there I was after reading the title of this thread, tallywhacker in hand, ready to go, and after seeing the pic I had to zip back up and go back to work.

Well true to their word they said we'd be seeing the car before release at the track. One of the posters there said they were loading up "mules" plural. They must have had this car fairly well developed if they are already track testing.

I hope to see pics soon.

Nothing credible in that post at all. Who cares about a pic with three nice fast cars?

I don't actually believe Honda has a working prototype worthy of a track test yet. They have no off the shelf technology to draw upon. All Honda hybrids to date suck. I think they are still inventing, not refining.

I hope I'm wrong but I think Toyota could start now and produce a drivable 400 hp hybrid quicker than Honda can.

Nothing credible in that post at all. Who cares about a pic with three nice fast cars?

I don't actually believe Honda has a working prototype worthy of a track test yet. They have no off the shelf technology to draw upon. All Honda hybrids to date suck. I think they are still inventing, not refining.

I hope I'm wrong but I think Toyota could start now and produce a drivable 400 hp hybrid quicker than Honda can.

I hate to say it but I agree with everything you said.

They already have a running RLX with the emotors running around:

http://www.torquenews.com/108/spy-shot-2014-acura-rlx-testing

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=72087

I agree though, if Toyota wanted to they could make a hybrid competitor faster as they have a head start. However that is not Toyota's style as they like to take their sweet time with sports cars for whatever reason. Just look at the development of the Supra, LFA and even the FT86.

Perhaps they are testing the V6's capabilities mostly? It is rather interesting that the 3 cars were there with Honda test mules. They are definitely not RLX territory.

I wouldn't be so quick to shrug it off because there are no pic evidence yet.

Have you heard of a working Honda Accord prototype with Hybrid SHAWD running around Honda's test track in Japan since 2011?

If the car is scheduled to be released as a 2015 model year, that means it should hit the showroom some times during mid 2014. If they don't have a running prototype even in a none hybrid form by now, they're in deep shit.

The original NSX prototypes were running around Suzuka track three years before it hit the showroom.

Last edited:
They already have a running RLX with the emotors running around:

http://www.torquenews.com/108/spy-shot-2014-acura-rlx-testing

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=72087

I agree though, if Toyota wanted to they could make a hybrid competitor faster as they have a head start. However that is not Toyota's style as they like to take their sweet time with sports cars for whatever reason. Just look at the development of the Supra, LFA and even the FT86.

Perhaps they are testing the V6's capabilities mostly? It is rather interesting that the 3 cars were there with Honda test mules. They are definitely not RLX territory.

I wouldn't be so quick to shrug it off because there are no pic evidence yet.

How exactly does Toyo have a head start:confused: Earth dreams tech was being tested before waaaaay back when we first saw an old NSX on the track using KERS. Also does Honda have anything like the Earth dreams tech (I.E 3 motors) I've been looking but it seems since their current hybrid tech is so popular they haven't shown anything else.

Honda has had good IMA tech but in larger applications it just boosted acceleration and not fuel economy. The V6 Accord hybrid comes to mind.

Also to say they're Hybrids suck isn't quite fair as Toyo's hybrids haven't all been winners either.

Lexus LS hybrid version fuel economy sucks
Lexus HS cancelled for poor sales and fuel economy sucked
Lexus CT just came out fuel economy sucks
Lexus RX hybrid fuel economy sucks

So why does Toyota have a had start ...because you guys think they do:wink: To date the hybrid with the best economy sold in the USA is the first gen Honda Insight which still eclipses the current Prius by twenty MPG's in tests. True it's a two door vs a four door BUT the original Prius was also a two door. Toyotas new Prius C is smaller and lighter but isn't getting the numbers in real world testing of the larger Prius and none are still as fun to drive as Hondas hybrids.

To be fair though I'm open to hear why Toyota has an "advantage"

I know they have a McLaren and 458 at the Ohio facility for the NSX team as study vehicles but I didn't know about the R8. In any case those are good targets to aim for. But if the new NSX doesn't arrive until 2015 as stated most of these cars will likely have new models.

Toyota's hybrid sales is more prolific than Hondas. So it would be reasonable to imagine they have more experience with hybrid tech than Honda would perhaps due to numbers only. Honda has been toying with hybrid tech for a long time though.

Honda still makes better sporty engines though.

Lexus LS hybrid version fuel economy sucks
Lexus HS cancelled for poor sales and fuel economy sucked
Lexus CT just came out fuel economy sucks
Lexus RX hybrid fuel economy sucks

Because they have the backing of Hollywood through Prius! You're not a good human being unless you have a Prius to save the planet. :biggrin:

smug-alert.jpg

Well Perry, I don't think any of can figure out why product sells or not. For example, there was a one year waiting list for NSX when it first came out and after that, no one wanted it. On paper, Chevy Volt should be a winner but few want to give it a chance. Somehow Prius is the only one in that category that really caught people's attention, and it's almost a cult like following, reminded me of the original VW Beetle.

I can't imagine when the shit hits the fan when all the problems with the internal battery starts to appear, how much people will cry on the cost of replacement.

Last edited:
I know they have a McLaren and 458 at the Ohio facility for the NSX team as study vehicles but I didn't know about the R8. In any case those are good targets to aim for. But if the new NSX doesn't arrive until 2015 as stated most of these cars will likely have new models.

In addition to the McLaren, R8, and 458 Italia (their second one), they also have a GT-R, Porsche 911 Turbo, and Corvette. But my concern is exactly what you said. When the NSX comes out, all of those will be getting replaced.

In addition to the McLaren, R8, and 458 Italia (their second one), they also have a GT-R, Porsche 911 Turbo, and Corvette. But my concern is exactly what you said. When the NSX comes out, all of those will be getting replaced.

This is why they must aim higher or better performing then all of those.

I think R8 (V10), Porsche Turbo, and of course Ferrari will be so dame expensive it will not be a competing price point. GTR and Corvette is the one to look out for.

Perry you obviously haven't had a lot of first hand experience with these hybrids. There are a whole host of things that Toyota does better, including the ability to run on pure electric mode which Honda cannot do AT ALL. The second you touch the gas this noisy harsh engine kicks in, whereas in Toyota you can cruise in utter silence in traffic, parking lots, etc. it makes for a smoother car, not one where the annoying engine is on, then off. Then on, then off. It'll make you crazy.

Also I don't know where you get this "suck" thing from, it's simply not true, their hybrids are the most fuel efficient. Toyota has technology to run something as large as a highlander on battery power, and it delivers way better mileage than any SUV of that size. The Camry hybrid routinely has won MPG comparisons to all other sedans. The insight is kind of a clunker compared to the Prius. It is quite unrefined and gets nowhere neat the mileage, nor does the civic hybrid. For these reasons Honda's hybrid sales have been lacking, whereas toyota's have done quite well. Right now, Toyota's hybrid technology is pretty much ahead of anyone's. Honda's forte is fuel cell technology, which is much better than all of these, but that doesn't seem to be getting traction.

None of this matters, because the hybrid motors in the nsx do something entirely different.

Back