• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX too tall to fit in new garage..

.. if the radio is on, anyway.

Never noticed it before, but I moved into a new house and now I have to be careful to turn off the radio before pulling into the garage. Why such a tall antenna, maybe to attach a sail to it if we run out of gas? :smile:

Attachments

• antenna.jpg
    antenna.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 376
Just disconnect it (if the radio still works without it - this varies depending on the area) or get the Smartenna. Either of these two options gets rid of that ridiculous aerial and are extremely easy to do. As great looking as this car is normally, it looks silly with that antenna up.

Maybe you can adjust your garage door opener to open the door more. I have mine adjusted so it is even with the top edge.

Timbo said:
.. if the radio is on, anyway.

Never noticed it before, but I moved into a new house and now I have to be careful to turn off the radio before pulling into the garage. Why such a tall antenna, maybe to attach a sail to it if we run out of gas? :smile:

That doesn't seem normal. My suv which has a fixed antenna is way taller than the nsx.

My antenna hits the garage door sometimes (I am my own garage door opener :eek: ) but I am pretty sure no damage is being done.

As for the way it looks, it's a non-issue for the simple reason that when the antenna is extended, I can't see it because I'm behind the wheel. :biggrin:

By your title, I was expecting that the garage opener scratches her roof at least. :) Turning off the radio is always good when you drive into the garage, you can hear better where you bump into. :D

As said prior.....nothing wrong with the car or antenae.

The purpose of the higher antenae is for increased radio reception.
Turn the radio off when you enter your garage.

CFNSX said:
...Turn the radio off when you enter your garage.
There should be no need to - there's at least a foot of adjustment there on the door 'open' position. From the picture, the bottom section of the door hasn't even 'turned the corner' of the rails.
Timbo - If you look a the motor for the garage door opener drive, there should be a mechanism to adjust the height - Depending on the brand, it will either be a dial adjuster or an adjustable switch. Could be a couple of adjustment dials (one each for open & closed positions) right on the motor drive housing - or alternatively maybe a switch clamped on the rail that can be adjusted to give the extra reach for the raised position.

I've seen only a few solutions to the ridiculously long antenna on our cars. Usually, it's smartenna, wiring a switch inline to control the extension manually or an S2000 antenna. I'm going to do a search right after I post this but isn't there a way to just install a shorter telescoping mast?

J

02#154 said:
I've seen only a few solutions to the ridiculously long antenna on our cars. Usually, it's smartenna, wiring a switch inline to control the extension manually or an S2000 antenna. I'm going to do a search right after I post this but isn't there a way to just install a shorter telescoping mast?

J
James - you should have control from your after-market head - (the car's after-market head that is, not your's <!--StartFragment -->
hysterical.gif
)

I forget exactly what head you have in there but remember your install - they should have wired it up to utilize the on-board antenna control that virtually all after-market heads have now. The antenna should only be raised when in tuner mode.
Of course you may still want a shorter antenna for when you listen to radio, but wanted to ensure that you had at least the capability that was available.

Yeah, I haven't looked at the installation manual, but you're right that it should have the antenna power lead energized only when the tuner is operating... though the installer did not wire it this way. I'm very confident in the installer so it's hard for me to believe it was not done properly but it's just as hard for me to believe that the Sony head does not have that feature.

Ken, any insight to the availability of a shorter mast on the stock antenna motor? To me, that is the most eleagant solution (in addition to a properly wired head unit... I'll have to get behind the deck to do a little minor re-wiring).

J

You should not have to do any goofing around with the antenna. Like several others have said, adjust your door at the overhead motor. You should see a screw that says up/down and faster/slower. A very minor adjustment. I adjusted mine where the door is 1/4" from the end of the line when up. Go try it.

Back