• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Total Motor Rebuild by Mark Basch

If you are not familiar with the process, you will be facinated to see how it is done step-by-step. I thought I would share the recent pictures taken by Mark & Nick of my motor rebuild they recenty completed at Basch Acura:
http://www.1017.org/nsx/rebuild/

Thanks to Mark & Nick for the time they put in on this project not to mention dealing with me bugging them!
smile.gif

Enjoy!

A bad ring land prompted the rebuild. Long story I would rather not get into, but we had some detonation and possible bad gas. Rather than going back to the stock cast 10.2:1 compression ratio pistons, I decided to make the rebuild a good thing and took the opportunity to go with the stronger forged low compression pistons. The way I see it is that a few guys have actually taken this step voluntarily in the quest for more power, so I feel much better about having it done. Although there are several NSX’s out there with 200,000+ miles on them, it certainly does not hurt otherwise to have the motor rebuilt (it’s pushing 9 years old) since we plan on keeping the car for the long term.

Low compression pistons? Hmmm.... That reminds me.

The Paxton NOVI 1000 unit in the BaschBoost system can blow a Mustang up to 15 PSI, so it is obviously operating well below it's maximum potential in the stock BBSC setup.

So the obvious question is - who is going to be the first to build their block up, drop in low compression pistons, hook up some serious fuel/engine management, and crank this thing up to double the PSI of the basic unit (or more!)?

Now THAT would be some power.

Originally posted by Lud:

So the obvious question is - who is going to be the first to build their block up, drop in low compression pistons, hook up some serious fuel/engine management, and crank this thing up to double the PSI of the basic unit (or more!)?

That would be me!
smile.gif
Stay tuned for details...

Originally posted by Lud:

Now THAT would be some power.

Originally posted by NSXTC:
That would be me!
smile.gif
Stay tuned for details...

Actually, I think this has been done before. However, I think this car is in Australia. http://www.autospeed.com/A_0035/P_1/article.html

beautiful! i presume you will be running the basch sc this time around? not to be too nosey, but how much did this set you back? i'm running up against 86k and plan on holding on to it for awhile. it'll give me some time to start saving up! :^)

Originally posted by RyRy210:
Actually, I think this has been done before. However, I think this car is in Australia. http://www.autospeed.com/A_0035/P_1/article.html

It hasn't been done before. The car in that link is a one-off custom twin turbo setup.

We are talking a a high-boost supercharger kit which you would just bolt on after doing a bit of internal engine work that would give you in the neighborhood of 500+ HP...

Ooops sorry, I thought u were referring to a first in a custom rebuild forced induction setup. Didn't know u guys went into specifics as to what kind of forced induction.

Originally posted by RyRy210:
I think this car is in Australia.

I'm not certain that it's still there. I seem to recall Cam Parsons offering his car for sale in the States a few years back.

Did you not consider having the block reinforced? If you plan to bump the HP much beyond the base BB SC you will exceed the generally accepted limits of the stock open-deck block design.

Interestingly, the article at the link noted above about the 550 HP NSX does not mention this change either even though they go into significant details. Hmmm…

I don’t want to get too far ahead of what’s actually been done so far. There was other internal engine work done besides just the pistons. The supercharger is not on the car yet. I basically volunteered my car as the high boost beta test car. There will be a complete detailed write-up on this project appearing in NSX driver magazine (not this upcoming edition, but the one after). As far as price and availability, depending on how my car turns out, the high boost BaschBoost (with required internal engine work) may be an option that Mark will offer once production of the regular 5 PSI kits has begun, so we will have to wait for the official announcement for prices and details.

I didn't see anything about a rod change. They (Acura) say they're titanium, and I'm sure they have Some in them, but the rods AINT all that. It looks like a good job from the pictures. Did you beef up the cylinder liners? I can't tell. Any plans on supporting the fully jacketed siamesed bores? If not or even if so, what type of head gaskets are you going to use? Are you going o-ring? Using the stock Head bolts? Any head porting while they're out? maybe different cams? At least switching out to new valve springs?

[This message has been edited by nsxlr8 (edited 26 February 2002).]

I just love the way that you are trying to keep your motor TOP SECRET or something like that. You act like no one else has ever done these kind of internal mods before. If you didn't plan on answering any questions you shouldn't have posted the pics or the topic. Good luck on your TOP SECRET high boost motor.

Originally posted by BA94NSX:
I just love the way that you are trying to keep your motor TOP SECRET or something like that. You act like no one else has ever done these kind of internal mods before. If you didn't plan on answering any questions you shouldn't have posted the pics or the topic. Good luck on your TOP SECRET high boost motor.

Not only is this uncalled for, it's not accurate... Did you not notice that NSXTC said there would be a complete detailed write-up on the project???

Originally posted by spookyp:
Not only is this uncalled for, it's not accurate... Did you not notice that NSXTC said there would be a complete detailed write-up on the project???

Yes, I noticed the complete write-up part. But what is so hard about answering a few questions?

Because the answers to the questions will be in the next NSXD. Want the total answers? Be a paid member of NSXCA....you'll get your very own copy of NSXD.

[This message has been edited by AndyVecsey (edited 27 February 2002).]

Back