• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX totalled?

Waiting on the adjuster to call me tomorrow with his estimate on the damage.
I was attempting a left turn in a low lit business street aprox 1am in the morning when I was struck by a honda civic drag racing. Witnessed by metro police unit. I was cited for failure to yield to right of way causing accident and full attention to driving :( The case should side to me because the other vehicle was cited for failure to use HEADLIGHTS (the reason why I didnt see him) and taveling aprox 80+ braking to about 60 on a 35 imo from the time of impact. Seven citations totalled for him, in which I over heard was also drag racing, no seatbelt... Here are some pictures and please dont ask anymore question for legal reason until this case closes. Please feel free to post your opinions tho. Everything front of door back is in perfect condition.
windshield cracked from the jolting of the rear view mirror. Wheels still seem aligned. Now I believe its just the cost of the repairs vs the value of this low 50k 91 nsx with est 19k in mods. Thats my wings west lip inside the cabin fyi. Like to get opinions about the structure of the NSX and how they would repair this if they could and what possible problems could I have in the future in terms of rigitity, reliability, and longevity???

[I
e912f2b7.jpg

e912f2b1.jpg

e912f2a7.jpg

e912f2a0.jpg

e912f28e.jpg

e912f286.jpg

e912f276.jpg

Last edited:
if you are concerned about the legal issues with posting this, then why did you post it to begin with?

if you are concerned about the legal issues with posting this, then why did you post it to begin with?

To get general opinions about my cars repair conditions.. I'm not worried about what I post just what some members might imply. Also mainly posting cause a lot of my local members would like to see the pictures of the accident and get a general understanding of what happened. I am not worried because I felt I was not at fault. So again some opinions and NOT questions would be appreciated.

Sorry to hear about your accident. It sucks that some POS car drag racing did all of this damage. Based on the pics, that's some pretty extensive damage. Hopefully it all works out ok for you.

Last time I saw a NSX with similar damage... I was working at Honda, and the repair cost of $40K for a two years old car. In your case, the NSX is totaled.

The guy is probably on Honda Tech talking about how somebody in an NSX pulled in front of him as he was driving to the library.

The damage seems severe... I hope everything works out for you. I would definitely go to lengths to eliminate the failure to yield citation, to eliminate any implication of fault on your part. If the person was speeding without headlights at night these factors are all greatly in your favor.

Street Racing in this town is incredible. These kids have no idea how to drive. Not like the City and the Speedway provide a nice safe place to run. Street Racers Take it to the Track... Pay the money. Sheesh.

Most important of all, are you okay? Worry about your health first and your car later.

When all is settled and you decide to rebuild, you are welcome to my parts bin. I have a few body parts for you from my upgrade. They are in perfect condition and are yours for the asking.

Best Regards
Paul

PS: You know the Las Vegas NSX Club is with you.

Hi
If it's considered totalled, one option with your insurance company is ask to buy the car back along with your settlement. Sometimes you can be ahead that way. Check on the salvage value of your car with a high-end dismantler. I knew one body shop who repaired an NSX with similar front end damage. They bought the front end of the subframe and TIG-welded it in. He claimed it was stronger than new.

He's racing, no lights and doing 80+ and you get a citation...unbelievable.
I would have wanted to talk to the watch Sgt right then and there.

Sorry about the loss of the car man. :frown:
Glad you are ok though. :smile:
Personally if it were me I would probably be in jail at this moment because the first thing I would have done is drag the Civic driver out of his car and beat the crap out of him for totalling my NSX. I have ZERO sympathy :mad: for street racers. Yeah this kind of thinking makes me a cold heartless bastard specially if the guy in the Civic was hurt, but I don't care, because obviously his street racing butt didn't care about others either. The only difference is I don't do anything so incredibly stupid that it endangers other people around. Just my two cents.

Just be prepared.

My wife was involved in a similar accident yrs ago, making a left at 2mph
& and an upset woman (just got divorce papers) going 80mph
(based of skidmarks) in a 25mph residental area cresting a hill.
We went to court and lost. Dumbaz judge said she could have been going 1000 mph and my wife would still have lost as they have the right of way.
17 years later I am still pissed off!

That is terrible. Glad to hear that you are ok. I would remove all the goodies if the insurance considers it totaled.

Rebuilding something like this could be very expensive and will be difficult to sell in the future for a reasonable price.

Just be prepared.

We went to court and lost. Dumbaz judge said she could have been going 1000 mph and my wife would still have lost as they have the right of way.

yeah..two of my friends were involved in two similar accidentss,too. One motorcycle hit my friend's car at about 80mph. my friend lost at court...'cause "they have the right of way"

another friend got hit when a Mustung drag racing about 100mph, he didn't even seen the car when he got hit. he lost at court,too...same reason.."they have the right of way"...well at least he is still alive.

i wouldn't want to fix the NSX...it will be better to find another one. Good luck.

The adjuster suggested a totalling out of the vehicle. Location and shipping of parts is really hard to find and negotiate for the NSX. Mainly finding a repair shop that can repair the alluminum structure will be hard. I took his advice and will be looking to go remove my aftermarket parts from the vehicle :( O' well. May be I will pursue another NSX. Time will tell.

Most important of all, are you okay? Worry about your health first and your car later.

When all is settled and you decide to rebuild, you are welcome to my parts bin. I have a few body parts for you from my upgrade. They are in perfect condition and are yours for the asking.

Best Regards
Paul

PS: You know the Las Vegas NSX Club is with you.

Glad you asked! I'm doing good, rather a bit sore but I get like that sitting on my butt on the computer all day :) I am looking for a black spoiler asap so I can put that back on and swap out the aftermarket one. O' n a stock oil cap so I can take my comptech one back, hehe. thanks.

You know of the little mishap I had last year when I was on my way home from Cali. I hit something on the freeway on the hill just out side of baker. I broke a rim, cracked my front bumper and broke the side skirt and progressive cut me a check for $4300. My guess your NSX will be a total loss :frown: if it is buy it back and part it out and buy an 03:biggrin: and show nick up. :biggrin:

No doubt....F-en justice system sucks.
There is no such thing as justice, it's just a feel good word that's thrown around.
If there was such a thing as justice, most of those that write the laws and enforce them would be in jail themselve's.

Just be prepared.

Sorry about your loss. Good thing you weren't hurt. I was involved in an accident with the exact scenario in the past. Everytime I approach a yeilding left turn, I get this phobia that some moron is going to come up speeding, or run a red light and hit me while I'm making my turn on the yellow. :mad: Sucks!:frown:

I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune Peter. My wife and I are glad to hear you and your girlfriend are ok though.

Tom and Laurel

He's racing, no lights and doing 80+ and you get a citation...unbelievable.
I would have wanted to talk to the watch Sgt right then and there.

I know...I read that and was like, 'Are you kidding me,' because it seems so ridiculous. :mad:

Like someone else said, I would do my best to get that citation you have removed. You would think any judge in their right mind would understand you did not see a car traveling 80+ mph at night with its lights OFF!!

As far as the car is concerned....how much do you love your car? I had a car totalled once and I took the insurance money AND some out of pocket money to put her back together again. Maybe not ideal...but I am attached to my cars. They take care of me, I take care of them. :)

Dang, I didn't realize that was your car Peter. I'm sorry about your loss. Just glad you're OK. You can always get another NSX, if you decide to go that route.

If I can do anything, just let me know dude...

Levi

Back