• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX type R

Hmph....well, we already know that the car will have three electric motors (two in front and one at the transmission for the rear wheels) so, like all things NSX 2.0 related, take the story with a grain of salt.

I am glad, however, that the are rumors of Honda producing a Type R variant. Hopefully, they release it in the States as well.

Considering the NSX is being built in the US I'm assuming if they do come out with different varients of it, all would be available for the US residents as well.

Interesting to see all of these turbo rumors. It would only be disappointing if it cam in NA form and had less than 400 hp from the motor... I guess it would also be a let down if it was turbo and only revved 7000 rpm, but somehow I doubt that will happen.

Very interesting. By this time next year we will all see how good this car will be.

If it comes with something that "surpasses 400hp" and redlines at nothing less than 8000RPMs I think everyone will be happy
Im hoping for 9000+. 8000+ is not uncommon in modern supercars.

Honda already did 9000 with the s2000. Im hoping the new NSX will too, or push the limit even further. The new NSX it needs at least 9000rpms for Honda to show the world that they still make some of the best performance engines.

9000 would be insane so I hope they can push for that. I feel like the new NSX isn't being as hyped up as it should however. Ted Klaus keeps saying its about the connection to the driver to "experience" NSX. I just hope he knows great redline, power-to-weight and handling with great reliability is NSX

Wait so then there are 4 motors?? As the 30hp ima motor was originally in the tranny in the rear?? and the two fronts were supposed to be 50hp each in the front wheels??

When did the turbocharger enter the picture? does make sens though since the new Civic Type-R will be turbocharged as well.

The original non-turbo was running out of "battery boost" on long tracks like Suzuka, so rumor is they had to go turbo.

If this car turns out to be hybrid with turbo, I will be a bit disappointed. Overly complex? Still over a year away though, lots can change.

Im hoping for 9000+. 8000+ is not uncommon in modern supercars.

Honda already did 9000 with the s2000. Im hoping the new NSX will too, or push the limit even further. The new NSX it needs at least 9000rpms for Honda to show the world that they still make some of the best performance engines.

Both are 9k redline.

RX8:
Max Horsepower: 8500 rpm

And the RX8 can easily go into the 10k realm since it's a rotary. There are a few guys in the 12k club from a reflashed ECU.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Q-0BjrIq0ws?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

S2000:
Max Horsepower: 7800 rpm

- - - Updated - - -

If it comes with something that "surpasses 400hp" and redlines at nothing less than 8000RPMs I think everyone will be happy

Everyone being old men perhaps.

My NSX is probably lighter than whatever new NSX will be (thanks to all the fancy gadgets, double engine and safety stuff).

At 500HP~ at the crank I'm already used to it.

What Honda/Acura needs to think about is V8 like TQ.

my brother's rx8 has 150k miles... all original.

My NSX needed a rebuilt at less than that.....

^That is the exception not the norm :)

I see RX8's at auction every couple weeks almost that are blown up.. I've bought a couple and sold them for parts.

I had an RX8 from pre order till the original warranty expired. I took great care of it and it still had engine problems even with frequent maintenance. The NSX is far more reliable and the rotary engine is cool but still not comparable. Even the design engineers can't get it right and probably never will even if they advance it. I still wouldn't put a Chevy motor in an RX7 though.

CR

Just saying. Seems like they have abandon the R name.

Theres a 40K price difference between this article and the last one

my brother's rx8 has 150k miles... all original.

My NSX needed a rebuilt at less than that.....
I've had numerours rotary's from 12a turbo's,13b turbos, 13b bridgeports and although their reliablity has improved over the years and the apex seals have been improved imo they are still a time bomb waiting to explode.
Allthough my mechanic races an rx7 sports sedan(space frame race car)550hp 20b rotary and thats competed for for the last 3 years and has'nt missed a beat.
Alot depends on how they are rebuilt.

Last edited:
My friend's RX8 is on it's 3rd engine with 90k on it, I guess your brother lucked out.

Back