• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX vs. 1.9L Diesel Golf in "Fifth Gear" episode

I just finished watching a "Fifth Gear" episode and was a bit disturbed and was curious if anyone else caught the episode. On one of the segments they talk about nitrous and show how much performance you can gain by installing it. Anyway, they equip a 1.9L Diesel VW Golf with a nitrous kit and test the performance gains against a 2002+ NSX. I forgot to mention that the Golf was also an AUTOMATIC! :eek: Well, they proceed to drag race and at one point the driver of the Golf claims that she has a slight lead on the NSX. The NSX eventually pulls ahead and wins, but they edited the footage to make it seem like the NSX barely beat the Golf. Granted, they didn't mention what size Nitrous kit they installed, but I find it hard to believe that a completely stock Automatic Golf with a Nitrous kit can be neck and neck with an NSX. The driver in the NSX seemed to be taking it easy while shifting which is perhaps why the race was "close."

I used to admire the show for its honesty, but after this episode I lost some respect for the show. My TiVo doesn't have a title for the episode, but the name of the episode is "High Speed Blowout" just in case anyone is interested. Fifth Gear airs on Speed Channel.

Saw it a couple of weeks ago & thought about posting, but figured I would get ragged on or 5 posts saying it was on a year ago. There has to be something fishy with the way it was staged.

I remember seeing that, i still thought the Golf was trounced. I think it had something ridiculous like 150bhp of NOS but i could be confusing that with Top Gear's/ Driven's Jag XJS.

-Rob

robfenn said:
I remember seeing that, i still thought the Golf was trounced. I think it had something ridiculous like 150bhp of NOS but i could be confusing that with Top Gear's/ Driven's Jag XJS.

-Rob

I remember that one. But I don't recall the NSX one.

IMO, this is more humorous than offensive. I've seen some rat-ugly cars (sleepers) put to shame other more beautiful and "favored" hot rods. I'd like to see them put a huge FI kit on that Golf, strip it down, and watch it run 11's! That would be hilarious.

ryan1926 said:
...I used to admire the show for its honesty, but after this episode I lost some respect for the show...

Hey don't even sweat it. So what if the NSX only won by a little, it was all in good fun. I think "Tiff" and "Vicki" are great drivers and very competitive, I'm sure neither was holding back.

with enough nitrous any car could beat a stock nsx if it holds together. Top end though i doubt it. Just my opinion though, hell i'll build a golf to prove it lol :biggrin:

Back