• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX vs 570S

Just looked at a bunch of 570S pics. Must say if this is the NSX's direct competition, then the new NSX had better run rings around it because in my opinion from a exterior and interior aesthetic, I think the McLaren has a distinct edge.

Picture link: m.flickr.com/#/photos/mclarensanfrancisco/20488762992/in/set-72157657124227411/

Just looked at a bunch of 570S pics. Must say if this is the NSX's direct competition, then the new NSX had better run rings around it because in my opinion from a exterior and interior aesthetic, I think the McLaren has a distinct edge.

Picture link: m.flickr.com/#/photos/mclarensanfrancisco/20488762992/in/set-72157657124227411/

Yeah that's pretty sweet. And it has a cup holder!!!

Have you guys had a chance to drive it yet? I drove a press car recently. It almost makes it pointless to spend more for the 650, other than the fact that the 650 offers more "status". The interior is simple and elegant and just reeks of quality everywhere you look and touch. I think this thing's going to be a home run.

I have not driven a 570S but i've driven a 12C and a 650S often enough to notice the nuances between the two. For some reason the 570 just doesn't resonate with me. I always lean towards the idea of just buying a used 12C coupe someone is trying to dump.

Have you guys had a chance to drive it yet? I drove a press car recently. It almost makes it pointless to spend more for the 650, other than the fact that the 650 offers more "status". The interior is simple and elegant and just reeks of quality everywhere you look and touch. I think this thing's going to be a home run.

Thank you for confirming my deposit switch is going to a good vehicle

I have not driven a 570S but i've driven a 12C and a 650S often enough to notice the nuances between the two. For some reason the 570 just doesn't resonate with me. I always lean towards the idea of just buying a used 12C coupe someone is trying to dump.

The 12C is still an amazing car, even though it's starting to show signs of aging from a design point of view. The car still looks great but it's just that McLaren has released so many new models since the 12C. This angle is particularly nice (friend's car)...

IMG_0766.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for confirming my deposit switch is going to a good vehicle

Oh you gave up on the NSX too? I'm close to coming to the same conclusion myself. Really wanted to get one but being given so much time by Honda to think about it I feel like the impulse is gone. I might trade in the R8 for a Huracan or something along those lines.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the 570. It's very impressive.

You know what seems to a very impressive sports car for the money?

Mercedes AMG GT-S. Every car reviewer seems to have an orgasm behind the wheel of one. It also just won Motor Trends Driver's Car of the year. I have to admit... I'm very curious.

No matter how good it looks, or how good it drives, the 570 seems like McLaren's boxster. I'd like to see one parked next to a 675 LT...wherever one can find those. Moot. I could never own another McLaren after my 12C was in the shop every 2 months. Shame, the company seemed capable of anything, and at the time, there was no production mid engine turbo. McLaren squandered an opportunity to dominate. The new NSX is still the most exciting thing promised for 2016. A beautiful, reliable, efficient, driver-centric hybrid for half the price of a 650s? I know nothing of the original NSX, but this is a no brainer--Yes. I plan on driving a red one to work and telling everyone it's "the new honda hybrid" no big deal.

Oh you gave up on the NSX too? I'm close to coming to the same conclusion myself. Really wanted to get one but being given so much time by Honda to think about it I feel like the impulse is gone. I might trade in the R8 for a Huracan or something along those lines.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the 570. It's very impressive.

Awesome and you will be quite happy with the huracan if you have not had the chance to drive one for an extended time yet. Possibly even easier to live with over the R8 with all the extra exotic-ness

- - - Updated - - -

You know what seems to a very impressive sports car for the money?

Mercedes AMG GT-S. Every car reviewer seems to have an orgasm behind the wheel of one. It also just won Motor Trends Driver's Car of the year. I have to admit... I'm very curious.

I have been waiting to drive one of these for a while as for the money it seems like a very good buy. However, the one experience with owning a mercedes ive had was not the best so thats whats kept me hesitant on picking this up.

- - - Updated - - -

No matter how good it looks, or how good it drives, the 570 seems like McLaren's boxster. I'd like to see one parked next to a 675 LT...wherever one can find those. Moot. I could never own another McLaren after my 12C was in the shop every 2 months. Shame, the company seemed capable of anything, and at the time, there was no production mid engine turbo. McLaren squandered an opportunity to dominate. The new NSX is still the most exciting thing promised for 2016. A beautiful, reliable, efficient, driver-centric hybrid for half the price of a 650s? I know nothing of the original NSX, but this is a no brainer--Yes. I plan on driving a red one to work and telling everyone it's "the new honda hybrid" no big deal.

Half the price of a 650s you say? Enter the 570 lol... Btw im jus going to point this small point out. Yes at first the 12Cs had some problems, we're also 3 models past that now with basically the same drivetrain too, so theyve had the time to iron out the problems. Also the 570 is basically jus a detuned 650 therefore almost = more reliability. We have no idea what potential problems the new NSX will have and as honda hasnt done soemthing with this intense of a drivetrain (F1 hasnt gone well for them either this year). And if you think our cars are perfect out the gate lets not forget about the snaprings....

Last edited:
Hi 95nsxtc. I don't know what snaprings are. I'm an NSX newbie.
My experience is just that, one guy one 12C, but it's significant. I bought second model year, giving some time for iron outs to happen. They didn't, not remotely. I'll believe they have when the cars stop depreciating like stones and getting better reviews. Mine weren't drivetrain problems, but since you brought it up, I know of one 12C that was delivered with a *known* cracked block. If you're on the McLaren forum, you probably know of this already. Now, the P14 has my attention. It will be pricey but worth it when it eats the equivalent Ferrari. I'm a born sucker perhaps, hoping for something better with the new NSX. Comparing to other units, 550+ Hp from a hybrid V6 is not intense. Acura did state the car isn't about chasing numbers, so why be intense? Honda can do it all better than the competition. And cheaper, considering what tech you get..Maybe...as I get passionate about this nonexistent car ;)

This brings up a bit of an annoyance for me whereby the default comparison I see in social media is the new Ford GT vs. the new NSX. Both cars are awesome, but in my mind, they are two completely different cars. The Ford GT is suppose to be a limited production street legal racecar which from a propulsion perspective, is exploiting the peak engineering advancements of "old" technology (i.e. it's 100% turbocharged oil burner). I would also be shocked (SHOCKED!) if even, say 20% of Ford GT owners drive their cars more than 3k miles a year. On the contrary, according to the NSX project management team, the NSX is suppose to be a car designed for the road (just like the first NSX). It will probably be too soft for your average Ford GT clientele but I suspect it will compete with buyers who are cross shopping between the 911 and the Merc AMG GT. The NSX has clearly spent several thousand test/development hybrid enabled miles on actual roads around the world. With that kind of testing commitment, the Acura engineers, would have to be stupid, or worse, negligent if they didn't catch and remedy issues that come up.

Both are great cars. I'd be honored to own either, but it's irritating when people compare the two. An interesting thought I had recently was this... Which car would any teenager love to own and would have a ton of posters up on their bedroom walls of - The Ford GT hands down. However, now that i'm much older, and have different priorities in a supercar, i'd really much like to buy a car like the Merc AMG GT, 911, or hell.. these days the Huracan seems to have great road manners. I'd love to have the money to buy a hypercar like the Ford GT but only after I have a supercar like say an NSX (assuming it lives up to the promises).

I was trying to support iconoblast's point but in a roundabout way :) And this is simply one man's opinion

Last edited:
Hi 95nsxtc. I don't know what snaprings are. I'm an NSX newbie.
My experience is just that, one guy one 12C, but it's significant. I bought second model year, giving some time for iron outs to happen. They didn't, not remotely. I'll believe they have when the cars stop depreciating like stones and getting better reviews. Mine weren't drivetrain problems, but since you brought it up, I know of one 12C that was delivered with a *known* cracked block. If you're on the McLaren forum, you probably know of this already. Now, the P14 has my attention. It will be pricey but worth it when it eats the equivalent Ferrari. I'm a born sucker perhaps, hoping for something better with the new NSX. Comparing to other units, 550+ Hp from a hybrid V6 is not intense. Acura did state the car isn't about chasing numbers, so why be intense? Honda can do it all better than the competition. And cheaper, considering what tech you get..Maybe...as I get passionate about this nonexistent car ;)

I wasnt exactly referring to the drivetrain as the issues, I am aware of the car you referrenced, I was really referring to all the electrical gremlins and nuances the 12C seemed to come with. I have not been fortunate enough to be able to spend very much real time with one as both my friends got rid of theirs within less than 6 months for 458s. And if you get a p14, plz drive to me so I may experience it and decide to trade my potential 570 on it in the future lol.

What I was saying with Honda is that this, from an engineering perspective is very intense. Twin electrics with the V6 is nothing to take lightly no matter what the output. I always use the i8 as a benchmark bc its basically half of everything going in to the NSX, which is still a big feat to accomplish regardless of manufacturer, and its sort of around the same price.

o o o almost forgot: The Infamous "Snap Ring" Problem
  • Officially known by Acura as the "Broken Countershaft Bearing Snap Ring" problem, it was a manufacturing defect in the 5-speed transmission in 1991-1992 and according to Acura, it only affected transmission numbers in the following range: #3542 - #5978. An Acura technical service bulletin (TSB-93-010) describes the problem and remedy and can be found here. There have been unconfirmed rumours of failures outside the number range but they tend to be rare
  • For additional information on the Snap Ring problem, check this page and also check here for tips on locating the Transmission and Engine Numbers

Last edited:
I wasnt exactly referring to the drivetrain as the issues, I am aware of the car you referrenced, I was really referring to all the electrical gremlins and nuances the 12C seemed to come with. I have not been fortunate enough to be able to spend very much real time with one as both my friends got rid of theirs within less than 6 months for 458s. And if you get a p14, plz drive to me so I may experience it and decide to trade my potential 570 on it in the future lol.

What I was saying with Honda is that this, from an engineering perspective is very intense. Twin electrics with the V6 is nothing to take lightly no matter what the output. I always use the i8 as a benchmark bc its basically half of everything going in to the NSX, which is still a big feat to accomplish regardless of manufacturer, and its sort of around the same price.

Understood and totally agree. I try to be forgiving about little gremlins like NAV not working as you can still drive the car no problem. The Ferrari school of thought is the money would be better spent on cool turbos, but Honda's infrastructure leads me to expect a working air conditioner. Laying out six figures for these cars, in first year of production, we'll be lucky if it's only little electronic stuff.

Understood and totally agree. I try to be forgiving about little gremlins like NAV not working as you can still drive the car no problem. The Ferrari school of thought is the money would be better spent on cool turbos, but Honda's infrastructure leads me to expect a working air conditioner. Laying out six figures for these cars, in first year of production, we'll be lucky if it's only little electronic stuff.

lol too true

My conclusion also. I've only driven the 650S (not 12C or 570S). If I were considering spending that kind of money on a car, I'd want the fancy/magic hydraulic suspension. 570S is too much $$ to not have it (but it's one of the ways 650 differentiates itself, so I get the business decision to not put on 570).

The 12C is still an amazing car, even though it's starting to show signs of aging from a design point of view. The car still looks great but it's just that McLaren has released so many new models since the 12C.

I prefer the 12C front. Undecided on the rear. 12C is a very simple/elegant design. I think it will hold up well over time like the original NSX did.

Last edited:
I've seen the 570S
I've seen the new NSX
I own a 650S and two original NSXs (92 and 94).
I've owned an R8GT.

Here's my opinion.

You want bang for the buck? Get a 2012 12-C that has had all its upgrades and check to make sure it has a good maintenance history (not a lemon). That's 150K for a VERY GOOD car that's 80% of a 650S almost half the price of a new one.

You want top notch. Go with the 650S. Best handling car I have ever owned....period.

Reliability. I believe the untried new NSX will have fewer glitches than the latest McLaren.

Will I get a new NSX? Although I love reading reviews I need to drive it first. That's how I ended up with a 650S over a 458 Speciale.

I've seen the 570S
I've seen the new NSX
I've owned an R8GT.

Here's my opinion.

You want bang for the buck? Get a 2012 12-C that has had all its upgrades and check to make sure it has a good maintenance history (not a lemon). That's 150K for a VERY GOOD car that's 80% of a 650S almost half the price of a new one.

You want top notch. Go with the 650S. Best handling car I have ever owned....period.

Reliability. I believe the untried new NSX will have fewer glitches than the latest McLaren.

Will I get a new NSX? Although I love reading reviews I need to drive it first. That's how I ended up with a 650S over a 458 Speciale.

Value: 12C
Best: 650S
Reliability: 2017 NSX

Do you see a scenario where 570S is the answer?

I've seen the 570S
I've seen the new NSX
I've owned an R8GT.

Here's my opinion.

Just curious as to what glitches you've had or heard of with your McLaren or 12C?

Is it just me who really doesn't like the 570 from a looks point of view.

There's nothing that compels me to buy one. It's just a light weight car with power. I'd far rather buy a cayman gt4 and I suspect it will hold its money far far better.

I'm disappointed with the NSX reviews so far, there have been glints of genius. The comment telling ferrari to take note of how a turbocharged car should feel was notable.

I wonder if Mclaren has a bigger following in the states. The brand here in the UK doesn't yet have the appeal I think they are aiming for. There have been a lot of concerns about long term reliability and product support after expiration of warranty.

They do a few things unprofessionally IMHO. If you compare a P1 and a 918 side by side the difference in the finish and the attention to detail is staggering. The P1 looks thrown together by some guys in someone's garage. The 918 is as polished and refined as a 911, and as usable. The 918 is close to being my favourite car of all time. The fact that the NSX is like an attainable version of the same thing is where the appeal is. I just want to see more noise, and better numbers from slightly upped power, even if I have to make those changes myself.

The 570 doesn't have anything like the draw for me. It's just another conventional drivetrain sports car with nothing to make it stand out over the R8, the 458/488, huracan etc. Just another fast car.

The NSX has so much potential because they've tried something difficult and have nearly pulled it off so far.

Me, I'm waiting for Chris Harris' review. I trust his opinion more than all the others released so far, and from rumblings I've heard through the grapevine, he loved it.

The 570 doesn't have anything like the draw for me. It's just another conventional drivetrain sports car with nothing to make it stand out over the R8, the 458/488, huracan etc. Just another fast car.

The NSX has so much potential because they've tried something difficult and have nearly pulled it off so far.

Me, I'm waiting for Chris Harris' review. I trust his opinion more than all the others released so far, and from rumblings I've heard through the grapevine, he loved it.

I think the NSX reviews will improve significantly once HONDA eventually lets journalists drive a fully sorted out final version.
I feel it was premature of them to let people drive something that was compromised with all season tires, blocking out Track Mode and suspicious software issues.

I agree, Chris Harris has the most realistic [and entertaining] reviews of all.

I spent a lot of time with a demo model (non-running) 570S this past wknd. While the car is "softer" and more everyday driver friendly than a 650S, It's not what I would spend my $180k on. I was not impressed for the price. For the $150-180k price range, pending driving either one, I'd still buy the new NSX. The new NSX, even with that ugly nose, is more impressive in person.

I'd still buy a used 12C over a 570S. I'd probably still buy a used 12C over a NSX but i'll reserve final judgement until I drive a new NSX.

I spent a lot of time with a demo model (non-running) 570S this past wknd. While the car is "softer" and more everyday driver friendly than a 650S, It's not what I would spend my $180k on. I was not impressed for the price. For the $150-180k price range, pending driving either one, I'd still buy the new NSX. The new NSX, even with that ugly nose, is more impressive in person.

I'd still buy a used 12C over a 570S. I'd probably still buy a used 12C over a NSX but i'll reserve final judgement until I drive a new NSX.

Buy all three ;) I just spec'd a 570s through Mclaren Dallas. Should be interesting!

Back