• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX vs Ferrari 488 vs CBR1000RR fireblade sp

So they are saying the SH-AWD is more consistent on the drama-free launches than either RWD competitors... Because if traction were not an issue, then both should edge out at the end given power/weight ratios.

they can say what they want, those videos were laughable. the races were pathetic at best, the reaction times on either side simply horrible.

the Ferrari will destroy the NSX in the quarter mile. and as for the bike, well, it would obliterate the car, either one. that was the funniest and most ridiculous aspect of all. the rider and drivers in these clips were terrible, and the end result simply a joke... :redface:

The takeaway from this how much easier it is to drive the new NSX at its limit.

A modern CBR1000 with a highly skilled rider can probably get the bike to run a 1/4 mile in the 9's. An ET that will beat just about every single stock car ever made. But getting a perfect launch, fighting the bike's tendency to wheelie, not neutralizing on that crucial 1-2 shift, and so on...not something the average rider can do even remotely close to a pro rider.

Drag racing a new NSX? Track mode, launch control, lift off brake on last yellow and keep the accelerator pedal floor boarded. Simple.

Drag racing a new NSX? Track mode, launch control, lift off brake on last yellow and keep the accelerator pedal floor boarded. Simple.

exact same with the Ferrari mate, exact same... :rolleyes:

The takeaway from this how much easier it is to drive the new NSX at its limit.

A modern CBR1000 with a highly skilled rider can probably get the bike to run a 1/4 mile in the 9's. An ET that will beat just about every single stock car ever made. But getting a perfect launch, fighting the bike's tendency to wheelie, not neutralizing on that crucial 1-2 shift, and so on...not something the average rider can do even remotely close to a pro rider.

as for the bike? you are correct, it will take a lot more skill than an average Joe sitting behind the wheel of an NSX. i will say i'm not 100% sure of the electronics package the new CBR possesses, but i can tell you all of the other manufacturers have launch control, wheelie control, quick shifters, etc. that make it much easier to launch a modern day litre bike than it used to be. however, Honda has always been the last to catch up to the times, always lagging behind the latest tech in the motorcycle world, especially well behind the Europeans (Aprilia, BMW, Ducati, MV Agusta) when it comes to electronics packages.

regardless, even a decent rider could ease the CBR off the line, short shift to second, pin the throttle in third, and absolutely blow the doors off the NSX and the 488. all litre bikes run through the 1/4 mile in the 9 second range at 160+ mph. this is just a highly amateurish comparison at best. my sentiments are simple, if you're gonna do something, do it right. this test is pure rubbish... :redface:

this test is pure rubbish... :redface:

That I absolutely agree on. Every single time I see one of those car vs bike tests, they're usually set up to equalize things and exploit the car's strengths (corner speed and hard braking) to offset how completely lopsided it is for the bike in acceleration.

Just a straight up drag race though? With a liter bike too? Stupidest car vs bike comparison one can do.

And I also agree that Honda loves to lag on the tech race. Just only this year, the revised CBR1000 got a full electronics package like pretty much everyone else has had for several years now. They held out so long, it was actually getting quite embarrassing.

And I also agree that Honda loves to lag on the tech race. Just only this year, the revised CBR1000 got a full electronics package like pretty much everyone else has had for several years now. They held out so long, it was actually getting quite embarrassing.

Honda is effectively a decade behind. Ducati has had traction control and electronics packages (on streetbikes) since 2007...

Launch control is boring. Only point is to demo car to friends. Honestly, I don't really get the point of drag racing in street cars. Trap speed is an interesting metric, but 60-130MPH times are much better for real-world power. The NSX is never going to show well in traditional metrics, so I guess they felt the need to put in launch control. 3.1 secs (which I have done repeatedly in the NSX) is fast enough to be in the club, but who cares?

These videos are fun, but ultimately not a lot of good data in them.

A better test might be a launch control with a high-powered RWD car on a crappy surface. The car is going to be a handful, or it will shut down the fun when it steps out. NSX (or any decent AWD) will provide more useable performance under those conditions.

Ripping around the TRC courses in Track mode yesterday has further opened my eyes about how accessible the limits are on the NSX (and how friendly it is when you overstep them).

Last edited:
These videos are fun, but ultimately not a lot of good data in them.

A better test might be a launch control with a high-powered RWD car on a crappy surface. The car is going to be a handful, or it will shut down the fun when it steps out. NSX (or any decent AWD) will provide more useable performance under those conditions.

may as well start having launch control tests in the snow then? it's a shit test mate, dumb as fark, and completely unrealistic in every regard... :wink:

may as well start having launch control tests in the snow then? it's a shit test mate, dumb as fark, and completely unrealistic in every regard... :wink:

If possible, I actually think it would be better to test cars under more street-like conditions. A talented racer on a perfect surface is kind of a great equalizer, whereas most of the current engineering effort in modern sports cars is aimed at making performance "accessible" to mere mortals in sub-optimal conditions. Such tests would need to be head-to-head comparos, however, since all imperfect surfaces and conditions are unique whereas perfect surfaces are more consistent....

Personally, I am slower in my "faster" cars under sub-optimal conditions, because they are constanting trying to kill me.

Well to be fair, the drag strip's surfaces can be tricky to launch on as shown in these vids. It's like various dynometers, not all of them are going to yield similar results.-

cars like this have to be tested by professionals under controlled conditions. that's the only place you can exploit these types of cars with this type of power.

Trap speed is an interesting metric, but 60-130MPH times are much better for real-world power.

as for this metric, the NSX will lose out to many of the other cars on the market. the 458, 570S, and especially Huracan/R8 and 488 will leave the NSX for dead from a rolling speed. they are much faster on the boil, much faster. the higher the speed, the bigger the gap will become. launches from a dead stop are traction limited, but once hooked up, the NSX simply doesn't accelerate like the others. and it carries more weight than any of them.

regardless, as also stated by Master Tech, this is a shit test...

I know that the NSX does not test well. Its *only* advantage in straight-line testing is its EV launch. Physics favors Horsepower per Pound from a roll, and the NSX is not competitive on that metric (especially at high speeds when the electrics are just "clutched-out" boat anchors). This is why it would not do well on Nurburgring lap times (because the of the long fast straights).

it's all relative.

as i've said before, it's a lovely car. i like it. it runs well, better than i initially thought it would to be honest. but it is heavy, and the front and rear end are loose, separately from each other. balanced i would not necessarily call it.

but it's lots of fun, no question.

in my opinion the NSX is a much better street car than track car. the limits are much lower on the street, so any performance gap the other cars have over it are less amplified, if at all. and on the track, it is a pretty safe car once you learn it's quirks. it definitely won't bite you like a McLaren will. it isn't GT3 controlled, but it's pretty stable under 9/10's.

if you only drive the NSX by itself without ever driving a Huracan or 488, you'll think it's as good as any car can be...

You forgot the part about having to pay an extra $100,000.

you can get pre-owed Huracan's for the same price as an NSX. 458's and GT3's also. and for $180,000 to $200,000 i'd reckon 99% of prospective buyers are going that direction.

488 for $200,000? not a chance in hell...

I'd pay extra for an nsx to not have that hybrid crap and rwd only.

you can get pre-owed Huracan's for the same price as an NSX. 458's and GT3's also. and for $180,000 to $200,000 i'd reckon 99% of prospective buyers are going that direction.

488 for $200,000? not a chance in hell...

Average asking prices according to autotrader.com....

New 2017 NSX: $191,213
Used 2017 Huracan: $261,906

So a <b>used</b> 2017 Huracan costs on average $70,693 more than a <b>new</b> 2017 NSX! I feel I'm being overly generous to the Huracan in this price comparison since I'm allowing it to be used. Most people expect to pay less for a used a car than a new car.

And used Huracans with really low miles (i.e. less than 200 miles) will typically have an asking price of around $290,000. This is actually a fairer comparison since it's almost a new car, just like the NSX. Thus a similar mileage and condition Huracan costs on average about $100,000 more than the NSX.

Why do you continually insist on comparing the most expensive new NSX available to the cheapest used Haracan available? It's a completely dishonest comparison. Right now I can buy a new NSX for around $165,000. Please show me where I can buy a new Huracan for anywhere close to this price.

Well, one will have to compare used NSX prices soon to used Gallardo/Huracan prices also... The gap is wider. For the money, it's still quite a bargain.

Why do you continually insist on comparing the most expensive new NSX available to the cheapest used Haracan available? It's a completely dishonest comparison. Right now I can buy a new NSX for around $165,000. Please show me where I can buy a new Huracan for anywhere close to this price.

well obviously you can't, can you?

but the most common question i hear above all else when the new NSX is brought up in Supercar conversation is this; "for $200,000 would you (one individual in the conversation talking to another individual) buy the NSX, or a GT3, used 458, used Huracan, R8, etc.?"

therefor, i find it to be a very logical and reasonable topic of discussion and basis of comparison. maybe you don't see it that way, but a lot of the general Supercar buying public does...

Back