• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX vs Gallardo production volume

The July 2011 edition of Car and Driver noted that Lambo "has produced some 10,000 copies" of the Gallardo, which was introduced in 2003. If I read the Wiki page correctly, it says 8949 NSXs were sold in the US & that represesents about half the world-wide production. That translates to approximately 17,900 total NSXs. Considering the price difference, that's an amazing run for the Gallardo - and its still in production.

Interesting.

Me2 wouldn't mind adding to the stable in a few years

Gallardo acquisition price isnt the issue, its running it.

There are so many of them b/c they're Audis basically and were very attractive to buy/lease new.

Great car, but buying used is a very different story. People who think the NSX is difficult and costly to maintain are in for a world of shock with the Lambo. A lot of the hyperbole around costs is just that, uninformed craziness, but real world maintenance cost/burden is going to be orders of magnitude beyond the NSX.

Similar to Ferrari, these cars hit the used market right as they are either out of warranty or needing their first service. Obviously for people capable of doing their own work its a bit better, but the parts costs are still astronomical

Also, I dont think US production represents half of world NSX production - I think world production is a good bit lower than double US. I have to check my notes, but I was almost sure that only a few thousand were sold outside of the US during the entire history of the car.

My rule for Ferrari, IMO, applies to Lambo. The price of the car is what you pay, plus $20k. $15k emergency fund to not be touched and $5k to start building towards the next major. After that, $200-$400/mth needs to go into that fund to make sure there is always a service account primed with cash.

If you can comfortably and easily do the above, and can afford what is essentially a $90k+ matchbox car that has a car payment sized monthly upkeep bill, then you can jump into Ferrari or Lambo. For myself, Ive never been able to make those #s work and feel right, hence sticking with the NSX ;)

Last edited:
Totally absurd comments so far.
Please state if you did or presently own a Gallardo or a modern Ferrari and if not what are you basing your strong statements on !

I have owned two Gallardo's during a lapse of 5 years. Total running costs including oil changes but not gasoline has been less than $1,200 a year. Car is extremely reliable and is NOT an Audi !

I thought I read someplace where there were in the 18,000 (18,600 seems to be a number in my mind) unit range for NSX's worldwide during their run.

I will have to see if I can remember where I saw the number... I'm thinking it was in my NSX coffee table book.

If I find it I will post the number. Somebody here on prime will most likely have the answer.

Please state if you did or presently own a Gallardo or a modern Ferrari and if not what are you basing your strong statements on !

I have owned two Gallardo's during a lapse of 5 years. Total running costs including oil changes but not gasoline has been less than $1,200 a year. Car is extremely reliable and is NOT an Audi !

IIRC my buddy mentioned that his clutch replacement on the 04 gallardo was in the neighborhood of 12-15k.

Having owned a new Gallardo's is this statement correct?

Indeed this is something we see very often people only look to the price/value of a car.

Running costs can be extremely high,
Personally i work often with Ferrari's the part prices and the maintenance requirements are in other universe compared to a NSX.

Lamborghini will go even a bit farther..

When looking to buy a exotic car it's very important to do your home work and plan ahead financially so you can keep everything running.

A very nice example of this is one of my all time favorite hatchbacks a Lancia Delta HF.

Cost of the car: $11.000-$13.000
Maintance costs over 2 year period for a mint one $6.500 (if you do 6000 miles a year!)

There are quite a few cars people buy like that because they can afford the price tag but run in to problems when maintenance is needed.

Lancia Delta's (nice example of a rare car that can be head cheap but has astronomical running costs)
BMW V12
BMW M
Ferrari
Maserati (especially Maserati)
Porsche (certainly the older models)

DIY
Now working on a Gallardo or a R8 isn't straight forward.
The electronics are designed in such away to protect the dealer you can't for example DIY your clutch (E-Gear) it WILL lock op the ECU.

Also a Ferrari isn't build like your NSX we are blessed with the share straight forwardness and build quality of a NSX.

Certainly when buying Italian cars or British cars maintenance is often required and a pain, complex and expensive.

German cars are much more suited for the DIY mechanic.

Last edited:
Why is it than when an actual owner disagrees and state real facts, these same people who do not have any ownership experience, completely ignore the post and go on with their BS ? It is a sign of the time or is it that even our beloved NSXPrime is now the victim of the times.
If you are REALLY interested in exotic car ownership, PM me and I will be more than happy to share my files with you.

Why is it than when an actual owner disagrees and state real facts, these same people who do not have any ownership experience, completely ignore the post and go on with their BS ? It is a sign of the time or is it that even our beloved NSXPrime is now the victim of the times.
If you are REALLY interested in exotic car ownership, PM me and I will be more than happy to share my files with you.
If this was pointed at me...
I'm not contradicting what you say or saying it isn't correct I'm just explaining that people should look beyond the purchase price.

Because I disagree with you. Not everyones experience is the same as yours.

As for the Gallardo not basically being an Audi, you need to check your facts, because it is. And that comment wasnt a slam, which you seem to have taken it as, it is a compliment b/c Lambo has now inherited increased reliability and a broader network b/c of Audi ownership.

The Audi R8 is absolutely based on the Gallardo and Audi owns Lambo.

The opinion I stated on purchase/ownership costs is *directly* the result of hanging on Ferrari chat for 9 years and having gotten to know these owners personally (many of whom I see weekly in my area and at meets). I *know* they're owners and I know they arent bullshitting me when they give me advice because they know I'm really considering buying and dont want to see me get fucked...

Here is good info on cost per mile on the gallardo:

http://supercarrentalsinc.com/lamborghini-gallardo-buyers-guide-part-v-ownership-cost-estimate/

F348/355 are the worst by far, f360 a bit better because belt svc is engine in, f430 better still b/c of timing chain and gallardo about the same. None are cheap and all a hell of a lot worse than nsx obviously.

I've never been an owner because I've run the real numbers and know I can't afford these cars. I don't see how that disqualifies me from commenting or is somehow a sign the forum is now being ruined.

Last edited:
The July 2011 edition of Car and Driver noted that Lambo "has produced some 10,000 copies" of the Gallardo, which was introduced in 2003. If I read the Wiki page correctly, it says 8949 NSXs were sold in the US & that represesents about half the world-wide production. That translates to approximately 17,900 total NSXs. Considering the price difference, that's an amazing run for the Gallardo - and its still in production.

Interesting.

The Gallardo is a nice exotic...

I pulled out my coffee table NSX Honda's SuperCar by Brian Long. It states there were a total of 18,531 NSX built between 1990 to 2003. This doesn't account for those made in 2004 & 2005. Prime shows 197 & 248 (445)respectively for those years to the USA. This would bring the total to 18,976.

18,976 + whatever were shipped to the rest of the world in 04 & 05. I would assume it would be near the 445 units that were shipped to the USA.

As Info he shows the sales figures from 90 to 03 as
Japan 7,290
USA 8,555
Canada 691
Europe 1,373
Asia 205

So, ftuhy was actually in the ball park with his calculations on NSX production.

I think the Gallardo is a nice car. It has made a good run and is still in production, so that says something about the car.

Great info! Didn't realize so many sold in Japan!

The $$$$ you mentioned sound very reasonable.
Could you also please tell us just how many miles you have been driving the Gallardo in those years.

I've learned that number of years of ownership doesn't allways say much.
When I purchased my first NSX back in 2002 I literally drove it everywhere, summer and winter and put on 25,000 miles on it in the first year of ownership (and not easy either :biggrin:)

Am now on my second NSX and have it this month for exactly one year and have driven 11,000 miles.

Yet, when I see Ferrari's, Lambo's or even the Audi R8 for sale here (in Europe that is), they seem to have been driven for less than 4000 miles a year.
Personally, I think that makes a lot of difference. Having to service you car every 3 months and changing tires every 6 month changes to $$$-picture considerably when compared with a car where you only have 1 service every year and a set of tires every 2-3 years.

The $$$$ you mentioned sound very reasonable.
Could you also please tell us just how many miles you have been driving the Gallardo in those years.

I've learned that number of years of ownership doesn't allways say much.
When I purchased my first NSX back in 2002 I literally drove it everywhere, summer and winter and put on 25,000 miles on it in the first year of ownership (and not easy either :biggrin:)

Am now on my second NSX and have it this month for exactly one year and have driven 11,000 miles.

Yet, when I see Ferrari's, Lambo's or even the Audi R8 for sale here (in Europe that is), they seem to have been driven for less than 4000 miles a year.
Personally, I think that makes a lot of difference. Having to service you car every 3 months and changing tires every 6 month changes to $$$-picture considerably when compared with a car where you only have 1 service every year and a set of tires every 2-3 years.
Correct, NSX's are driven WAY more than other exotics you should better calculate maintenance price per mile than annually.

Wow after reading that almost FACT SHEET on the F-car

I am glad my Opinion on Ferrari brand is now solidified.

Owned by Audi wow didnt know that.

I wouldnt drive an Audi either junk in my book. they look nice just like all the other SHEEP cars driving the roads today

so 18K+ NSX made total. so think how many are wrecked/destroyed
I wanna say there is total in the world 10,000 left.

Im keeping my NSX till I die. might collect a few more before then.

Audi bought over Lambo in 98 or 99 IIRC, there first input was the Diablo 6.0

Anyway Audi ain't all bad but when they use VW parts it goes wrong, certainly on there smaller cars my opinion is certainly over here that VAG cars are overrated big time they do have one hell of a good marketing department.

Wow after reading that almost FACT SHEET on the F-car

I am glad my Opinion on Ferrari brand is now solidified.

Owned by Audi wow didnt know that.

I wouldnt drive an Audi either junk in my book. they look nice just like all the other SHEEP cars driving the roads today

so 18K+ NSX made total. so think how many are wrecked/destroyed
I wanna say there is total in the world 10,000 left.

Im keeping my NSX till I die. might collect a few more before then.

Im REALLY curious about this myself. We have the beginnings of a totaled/salvaged database here obviously, but I would love to know just how many have been just completely lost. With only around 18k total worldwide, it might be possible to close in on what the figure "left" is.

Im REALLY curious about this myself. We have the beginnings of a totaled/salvaged database here obviously, but I would love to know just how many have been just completely lost. With only around 18k total worldwide, it might be possible to close in on what the figure "left" is.
Would be really cool to keep a count but i'd be hard.

The Gallardo doesn't sexually excite me that much when it's very name brand is paired up against it's bigger brother with the proper scissor doors, Pagani, Koeneggsegg.

There's just something unfinished with the gallardo's lines. I think the R8 looks more finished inside and out.

Now a Pagini Zonda C12 makes ANY F-car or Lambo look like childrens toys.

I would give anything for that car.

its by far the sexiest beast out there and it will be timeless like the NSX one day. to bad it has Mercedes power plant. but I would still drive it. LOL

Mod5 Eng is that an offer LOL I would love to drive one for the weekend as long as it can keep up with the way I drive.
and not break down.

In my NSX

I redline it from stop sign to stop sign.

I red line it taking turns in the RAIN,

I redline while I wash it

Last edited:
The Gallardo doesn't sexually excite me that much when it's very name brand is paired up against it's bigger brother with the proper scissor doors, Pagani, Koeneggsegg.

There's just something unfinished with the gallardo's lines. I think the R8 looks more finished inside and out.
Personally i'd also say the Gallardo isn't pretty and that the R8 looks more finished although also not exactly to my taste.

Pagani's and Koeningseggs are way more than the gallardo so that don't count.
For the price tag of a Gallardo or Ferrari i'd rather build up a NSX (that will easily beat them)

Back