• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX vs. s2000

:eek: Well, I think you'd be nuts for buying a 25-30k NSX on a 40k salary. Only slightly less so for the S2000, since lower maintenance. BUT, the issue that I don't think that was brought up is what you EXPECT your income to be in 2-3 years out. Not what you *hope* or *dream* but realistically, whatever your career is, what you will make if everything goes smoothly. If you will be a teacher, that $40k isn't going to increase much - marry well. Some other careers, that could reasonably go up to 60-70k+ after a few years in which case the NSX might not be quite so absurdly out of budget. Also consider grad school costs/plans, etc.

And keep in mind that the ladies won't be impressed if you pick them up in an NSX and then can only afford to take them to Wendys.

Get S2k first then save up and get NSX later so that you can fully enjoy it.
You are still young!!!:smile:

Just to beat this into the groud a bit more... Have a little patience. 40k a year is NOTHING. NOTHING. Property values are skyrocketing? Then buy a house. See how far your 40k a year goes then. Do you have any savings? Start there.

All that being said, I don't think a s2000 is entirely out of the question. 17k sounds a bit optimistic (as does the 27k NSX), but if it's higher mileage and you've got time and skills to work on it yourself... it can happen.

But this is it, the time to step up to the plate and be a man. This is real life. SOON you will meet a girl, want to settle down, get that house, or move somewhere new with a lower-paying job. What gives you the freedom to make choices like that is having some savings. Think about that =)

</geezer>

Jeff

P.S. I'm 27 =S

An early NSX will have depreciated as much as it's going to depreciate, unless you wreck it. If the only two choices are the previously mentioned vehicles, I say get the NSX. This is coming from a guy who can account for over $65k this instant on an '02 S2000 parked in my garage(total includes car purchase price)- not all the parts ever tried on it. Hopefully the red '93 NSX I drove yesterday and wife-approved today will be in my garage next week. I won't list the current mods here- hopefully I will run down my camera's battery taking pics next week, but we have agreed on a price of $24,500. Deals can be found. Good luck.

About 2-3 days per 5 day work week I meet the same H 2000 (silver) going to work in my slightly moded NSX (91). We both hit the on ramp to CA Int 580 south. Sometimes I'm in front somtimes I'm behind, but always I dust his ass. He cannot keep up on the ramp nor can he pass me once on the freeway. If he is in front I easily pass. I know he is max-ing it, because he has this sneer on his face as I pull away or pass.

FF2Skip said:
You never return my calls. :redface:
Sorry. Mom just had surgery and I was on the road to GA. By the time I got your message I figured you were already past whatever you needed directions to. :(

I'm trying to decide between the S2000/MZ4/NSX. I used to own a 2003 S2000, I'm a big fan of driving the car year round as low as 40 degrees outside with the heater on and top down. I was curious about the driving experience on the highway between the roadster and targa tops. The S2000 is pretty comfortable and allows you to see all around with the top down and windows down. You can even talk on the cell phone when putting your windows up, plus for the MZ4 and the S2000 you can get aftermarket windscreens.

Maybe those of you who have owned both can comment. How does the NSX do with the top off and windows down? Wouldn't there be more turbulance inside the cabin? I really enjoy being with the elements and don't want to have to put the windows up at 50-70mph.

Thank you.

jeff_L said:
Just to beat this into the groud a bit more... Have a little patience. 40k a year is NOTHING. NOTHING.

</geezer>

Jeff

P.S. I'm 27 =S

Wow you must make a load of cash to say that. Here in the UK $40k would be considered a lot of money especially as the average wage would be the equivalent of $20k a year.

All In said:
I'm trying to decide between the S2000/MZ4/NSX. I used to own a 2003 S2000, I'm a big fan of driving the car year round as low as 40 degrees outside with the heater on and top down. I was curious about the driving experience on the highway between the roadster and targa tops. The S2000 is pretty comfortable and allows you to see all around with the top down and windows down. You can even talk on the cell phone when putting your windows up, plus for the MZ4 and the S2000 you can get aftermarket windscreens.

Maybe those of you who have owned both can comment. How does the NSX do with the top off and windows down? Wouldn't there be more turbulance inside the cabin? I really enjoy being with the elements and don't want to have to put the windows up at 50-70mph.

Thank you.

The roof out in the NSX is no comparison to dropping the top on an S2000. I've had two S2000's and miss that little convertible like you wouldn't believe. The MZ4 has more power ,but it's a lot heavier. I actually feel the three hundred pound difference between my S2K and my NSX. Of course if you get an earlier NSX it will be a bit lighter , but of course those won't have the removeable roof panel which add's weight.

There is an excellent comparison in the January 2001 Road & Track, I recall it being posted around here somewhere.

latzke said:
So does that mean more turbulance or less?

I never really noticed any turbulance in my S2000. I do notice quite a bit on my NSX.

MJK said:
There is an excellent comparison in the January 2001 Road & Track, I recall it being posted around here somewhere.

I saw that one , only thing is the S2000 has changed quite a bit on the inside and outside since the 00-01 that it's like a different car. Really!

i have been driving '93 nsx for 8+ years now and just picked up a 06 s2000.

s2000 stock
nsx - short gears, light flywheel, comptech clutch, rm swaybar, rm exhaust and comptech header

i consider short gear and sway bar a MUST for pre 97 nsx.

nsx - much roomier. more poised
s2000 - shorter shifter throw, open top, short turning circle

power steering is personal perference, but i'd much prefer without, steering feels loose in s2000 a bit when you make wide 70mph turns.

s2000 feels tight. nsx feels more balanced. nsx corners flatter

the biggest issue i have with s2000 is gearing and lack of torque. sweet spot for nsx is between 4500-8000 whereas for s2000 it does kick in until around 6500. If you have a nice nsx set up, you don't miss much of s2000 unless you feel like open top. turning fast in tight corner on second gear in s2000 is an issue. you feel no torque around 4-6k rpm and if you keep doing 6-8k rpm it gets tiring.

caution though nsx tire pressure, tire selection and alignment is crucial to running the car properly. i must have tried 10sets of tires. name them all. and I found the newest Dunlop Sports Maxx handily beats OEM yoko/bridgestone, as well as SO2 and SO3's in the water!

John
[email protected]

tondeuse2 said:
i have been driving '93 nsx for 8+ years now and just picked up a 06 s2000.

s2000 stock
nsx - short gears, light flywheel, comptech clutch, rm swaybar, rm exhaust and comptech header

i consider short gear and sway bar a MUST for pre 97 nsx.

nsx - much roomier. more poised
s2000 - shorter shifter throw, open top, short turning circle

power steering is personal perference, but i'd much prefer without, steering feels loose in s2000 a bit when you make wide 70mph turns.

s2000 feels tight. nsx feels more balanced. nsx corners flatter

the biggest issue i have with s2000 is gearing and lack of torque. sweet spot for nsx is between 4500-8000 whereas for s2000 it does kick in until around 6500. If you have a nice nsx set up, you don't miss much of s2000 unless you feel like open top. turning fast in tight corner on second gear in s2000 is an issue. you feel no torque around 4-6k rpm and if you keep doing 6-8k rpm it gets tiring.

caution though nsx tire pressure, tire selection and alignment is crucial to running the car properly. i must have tried 10sets of tires. name them all. and I found the newest Dunlop Sports Maxx handily beats OEM yoko/bridgestone, as well as SO2 and SO3's in the water!

John
[email protected]

Will you be modding the S2000?

i won't mod s2000 since it's a lease.
one thing on the turns, if you drove nsx for a few years you will definitely miss mid engine config. s2000 has sharp turn in but you feel you rear end is missing.

john

i don't think i could ever justify spending more money in mods than the car is worth. buy a better car. get a ferrari.

you can easily buy an older nsx with $40k if you save up some, you're not a tard with your money, no student loans, no crack addiction, no other big purchases in mind, and if you don't have kids/high maintenance ho.

tondeuse2 said:
i won't mod s2000 since it's a lease.
one thing on the turns, if you drove nsx for a few years you will definitely miss mid engine config. s2000 has sharp turn in but you feel you rear end is missing.

john

Actually I miss the lightness of the S2000 in the turns. The NSX is heavier and you feel it. Also the S2000 is a front mid engine so it's not that bad. It was so light and flickable. Plus you could alway's kick the back end out so easily. The new one has gained a couple of pounds ( like 20lb ) ,but still just a little over 2800lbs unlike the over 3100 of my NSX. Of course that's still b etter than the 3400lbs of my fatboy M3:eek:

otto_joe said:
I believe the 2004+ US and Canada models came with the 2.2.

Otto

...and a lower redline, 8000 rpm :frown:

WingZ said:
Actually I miss the lightness of the S2000 in the turns. The NSX is heavier and you feel it. Also the S2000 is a front mid engine so it's not that bad. It was so light and flickable. Plus you could alway's kick the back end out so easily. The new one has gained a couple of pounds ( like 20lb ) ,but still just a little over 2800lbs unlike the over 3100 of my NSX. Of course that's still b etter than the 3400lbs of my fatboy M3:eek:

If you change the spring rates in your NSX, you can fix this. I had the same complaint moving from my S2000 to the NSX. TODA coilovers ridded me of this 100%.

Look at the NSXR rates.

BioBanker said:
If you change the spring rates in your NSX, you can fix this. I had the same complaint moving from my S2000 to the NSX. TODA coilovers ridded me of this 100%.

Look at the NSXR rates.

Wow they save that much weight?

Back