• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX with no garage?

Hi, i got a job as an engineer at a drill company 8 months ago, i live in West Chester, PA. I live 2 miles down the street from where i work, its a nice area, higher class 'richer'. I pay $1,000 a month for rent :mad:, i live in a nice complex with lots of trees and small secluded parking areas that are far from the road. My personal parking area is a one way so there is no thru traffic. The only real way to get a garage is to get a morgage for a house, which isnt such a good idea in this market at a young age, i need to stay mobile and dont want to get stuck in a location. Is not having a garage a one way ticket to not owning an NSX? Or do you think its do-able. I understand the dangers of having it outside, but for example where i work there is no parking garage, we all park outside all day long. Here is a pic of my current spot i like to park in at my apartment for reference. Thats my 06 Tiburon which is paid off. I know alot of people in their low 20's own NSX's and ive heard of people who were 18-19 owning them, im not sure where they get access to a garage? Some things that i could do to protect it are, waxing every 3 months to protect from weather, and a car cover. Its worth mentioning that i have a $0 deductable for comprehensive/vandalism.

Last edited:
Hi, i got a job as an engineer at a drill company 8 months ago, i live in West Chester, PA. I live 2 miles down the street from where i work, its a nice area, higher class 'richer'. I pay $1,000 a month for rent :mad:, i live in a nice complex with lots of trees and small secluded parking areas that are far from the road. My personal parking area is a one way so there is no thru traffic. The only real way to get a garage is to get a morgage for a house, which isnt such a good idea in this market at a young age, i need to stay mobile and dont want to get stuck in a location. Is not having a garage a one way ticket to not owning an NSX? Or do you think its do-able. I understand the dangers of having it outside, but for example where i work there is no parking garage, we all park outside all day long. Here is a pic of my current spot i like to park in at my apartment for reference. Thats my 06 Tiburon which is paid off. I know alot of people in their low 20's own NSX's and ive heard of people who were 18-19 owning them, im not sure where they get access to a garage? Some things that i could do to protect it are, waxing every 3 months to protect from weather, and a car cover. Its worth mentioning that i have a $0 deductable for comprehensive/vandalism.

Do you have like any storage garages near you. You know where you store your unwanted items that dont fit inside your home. It would be cramped for your NSX but it wouldnt meet the weather and its hard conditions. I dont have a NSX yet nor a Garage so thats what Im going to do.

For several years, I lived in a condo on Long Island that did not have garages. We had covered carports, but they were open to the air. I kept my NSX in this carport for 3 years through all seasons and weather, including some nasty winter storms. I kept a good coat of wax/sealant on it and kept it covered whenever I was not driving it. The car was fine. It is black, so I would have noticed any blemishes.

Therefore, you should have no problem keeping the NSX outside. Just take care of the paint and get yourself a good outdoor cover. I think member Hrant sells one. To quote LarryB when I raised this concern to him: "Paul, the car is made out of aluminum. It won't rust or corrode. Relax." Thus, I repeat the advice to you. :)

For me, no garage = no nsx or any nice cars. I want to sleep better at nights and not have to worry about someone jacking my car.

For what it is worth I believe that the availability of insurance from certain companies may be predicated upon whether the car is "garaged" when not in use. My /94 is insured through one of the companies that specializes in collector car insurance (sorry, forget which one at the moment) and this was one of the questions on the application and could well be one of the terms of coverage. I haven't dug into this much as I do have a garage in which my NSX lives. Just my 2 cents.

Best,
Jeff

in my apartment days I rented a 10/20ft storage unit.

It's just like any other car, just treat it the same way you did your Tiburon and you'll be fine. I stored mine outside under a carport for a year with a Covercraft car cover and had no issues.

For me, no garage = no nsx or any nice cars. I want to sleep better at nights and not have to worry about someone jacking my car.

that's why u get Comp coverage with ZERO deductable.

Something happens and ur more than likely to come out ahead financially......

that's why u get Comp coverage with ZERO deductable.

Something happens and ur more than likely to come out ahead financially......

I just don't want to go thru the hassle of claiming and dealing with insurance when something happen to the car. Too much headache.

No offense to the OP (or anyone else who does not have a garage).

Though at this time and age, no matter it's a '91 or '05, I think the NSX deserves to be treated a little better than parking it outdoor vunerable to all sorts of conditions.

If you don't have the means to take good care of it now, then it is probably not your time to own one yet. Don't let the thought that there are younger owners bother you, it isn't the toughest task to buy an NSX now, monetarily speaking anyways. If it's meant to be, it's meant to be, your time will come sooner or later. There will always be younger owners out there.

IMHO, it takes a much bigger person to own it responsibly than to buy one in the heat of the moment and hope for the best. This doesn't just apply to buying an NSX, either.

Again, no offense (though I have a feeling that I'm gonna get flamed, oh well :redface:), you be your own judge.

I'm very worried about intentional damage to the car during the day. I think it depends on whether this is a transatory car that you won't mind getting a little beat up. There are lots of portable tent type enclosures available if you can put one up. Personally i'm way too anal to even consider this. Now if i had money to burn and was likely going to buy another or something else down the road, hey go for it.

There is a 1991 Sebring Silver NSX in New York that I know of that has sat outside for YEARS, and the owner takes immaclate care of it (as in, you cannot tell it from new....seriously). It is all about how you care for the car, and of course making sure you do not live in a high crime area (so that your car stays YOUR car). So if you live in a nice area, who cares about the garage? They are nice if you can get one though. Heck, even with a multi-car garage, my NSX used to sit out for weeks at a time while other cars were in there.

I am not worried about accidental damage due to the weather. I am worried about intentional damage like theft and such. Sure insurance covers it but going thru the claiming process is what I don't want. I just have no time and patience for it.

look back at the issues netviper had with his first nsx parked outside....I personaly would not do it.

I bought my NSX as a daily driver, but it still stays in a climate controlled garage. I have several other sports cars and they stay in a climate controlled garage too. Dealing with insurance companies is a pain in the arse and it is never as good as it was before the claim. I have 2 different insurance companies I go through, a regular policy through Allstate for the drivers and Hagerty for the really expensive ones. Hagerty is set up as a agreed value compensation with no deductible and no pro-rated payoffs. One of those cars get crunched or stolen I get the amount I agreed upon.

Years ago I took a good car to work and had an outside contractor back his truck into the drivers door. Took out the mirror and door and seemed a pretty easy fix. I check with the dealership where I took the car and they said that the insurance company would only repair the door by skinning it. In case you don't know what this is it's where they take the outer skin off and replace it. This is the crappiest way of fixing a door since it isn't placed in the original jigs to hold alignment. So I call up this truckers insurance company and the adjuster I talked to basically told me that this was all they would do and if I didn't like it I call file a claim with the state insurance controller. That would take from 6-9 months to get a disposition. So, I ended up paying the difference to get a new door. I hate insurance companies.:frown:

John

You need to park your NSX elsewhere and pick up during the weekends, during the week, get a 1.5K 2K car that you can park outside.

Or, leave outside, in the sun, all day, with kids around playing with soccer balls, animals, weather, rains. storms ... theft is a factor .... IMHO, not worth the headache -in this case- ... sucks ... But in the end, is your decision!

Have fun!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, all the advice is very good.

During the day, its going to be parked where i work out in the sun/rain whether i had a garage or not. Initially i thought it was impossible to own and NSX at an apartment for the same reason, its dangerous having a nice car like that out in a car park. But, I'm a massive car enthusiast and its hard to accept not being able to buy anything nice because i don't have a garage. Anything I'm going to buy is going to be nice, whether its E46 M3 or a 370Z, ect.

The area my car is parked at is far removed from the road, here is a map of my complex, and the red dot is my parking area.

some of the nearby complex's have detached garages, but they are like $150 a month and don't have garage openers, so i need to get out, pull it open park, close and lock and go inside, ect.

Attachments

• place.JPG
    place.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Thanks for the info, all the advice is very good.

During the day, its going to be parked where i work out in the sun/rain whether i had a garage or not. Initially i thought it was impossible to own and NSX at an apartment for the same reason, its dangerous having a nice car like that out in a car park. But, I'm a massive car enthusiast and its hard to accept not being able to buy anything nice because i don't have a garage. Anything I'm going to buy is going to be nice, whether its E46 M3 or a 370Z, ect.

The area my car is parked at is far removed from the road, here is a map of my complex, and the red dot is my parking area.

some of the nearby complex's have detached garages, but they are like $150 a month and don't have garage openers, so i need to get out, pull it open park, close and lock and go inside, ect.

Trade one months rental for a garage opener. The owner can't refuse that!
I have never not had a garage. I just could not imagine not having one. The only person I know with an NSX without a garage, had his car keyed during the night.

Last edited:
... The area my car is parked at is far removed from the road, here is a map of my complex, and the red dot is my parking area.

Now we all know where to steal your car, j/k. :biggrin:

Nice to hear that you have other options, go for the detached garages, it's a no brainer. Come to think of just drinking one less bottle of MOET and your car will be in a much safer place, you are likely to save more by doing so.

Like others have said, its more of a bad guy issue than a weather issue.

If you provide the opportunity to a bad guy, they might take you up on it.

The NSX is not a low profile car, it will attract attention, good and bad.

If you can accept the risk that you might wake up someday to a missing or damaged car, thats your choice.

Your insurance will be probably be higher since it's not in a secure garage.

I'd find a secure garage to park it in... rent a space from a buddy ?

Trade one months rental for a garage opener. The owner can't refuse that!
I have never not had a garage. I just could not imagine not having one. The only person I know with an NSX without a garage, had his car keyed during the night.

This is the best answer so far, $150/mth. is peanuts to sleep well.

You could also do the public storage locker and park the Tiburon there to get home in (but that would suck an bit)

Back