• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX with no garage?

Ok now the second prob is i dont want to buy an NSX and a seperate DD. The "DD", or more correctly the car i drive if its a massive storm or if i need to haul luggage, will need to cost like 3k tops. Im not sure if an NSX could be an only car, ive never driven one so maybe ill buy a second junky car if i feel the NSX is a pain. Personally i dont think an NSX will be any worse than the tiburon, which is cramped interior, (my hair touches the ceiling), hydroplanes in the rain and jerks around with the manual alot in 1st. Starting Late dec i can start looking for the NSX provided i dont change my mi d or have someone convince me its a bad idea.

Last edited:
the more info you post the less inclined I am to encourage you to buy an nsx.Keep the tibouron it sounds like you need new tire.

West Chester, PA is not an area to own a NSX as an only car. Get an A4 Quattro 2.0T. That is my advice. Don't get an NSX until you have a place to store it in the winter.

Hell, the town I live in is so tight on adding garages that there are Ferraris, Astons, a zillion Porsches and at least two NSXs (neither one mine) that live in carports or just on the street (uncoverd).

(sent from San Sebastian, Spain on my iPad !!! )

Hell, the town I live in is so tight on adding garages that there are Ferraris, Astons, a zillion Porsches and at least two NSXs (neither one mine) that live in carports or just on the street (uncoverd).

(sent from San Sebastian, Spain on my iPad !!! )

I would move. (Not joking) I would go nuts without my garage.

I know how you guys feel, but its a question of whether i should delay ownership of a NSX, M3, for 4 years or more because i dont have a garage. My freinds have bought houses, but my parents have been telling me not to. Chances are morgage payments will be less than my rent, so its not so much a money issue. I know where i live and know the people, and im know it will be ok at my building. This isnt a college parking lot where young / drunk holligans are trotting around. My building is so far removed from the public road i feel safe. Of all the complex's i looked at this one had the most 'private' and 'removed' parking so im feeling good. If i parked in an open lot like you see at walmart id be feeling alot worse.

I think im going to buy it and just keep it under a cover, with $0 comp insurance. If i ever want to, there is a 10'x20' storage unit right across the street i can rent monthly. Im also planning to buy a old impreza AWD 2.5 as a second car, but want to drive the NSX as much as possible, and have it be a DD. I will be looking for a '91 era berlina black with 50-60k miles. Im going to wait untill 2012 to start looking.

Last edited:
If you're going to dd your nsx then you will just have to deal with potential harm. Honestly, it's not an issue. You buy it, something happens, life goes on, you deal with it. I know this first hand because I parked my nsx at an apt, and someone hit my door. I'm still mad about it and wish it was in a garage whenever it happened. I don't know who did it, but now I'm at the point where I just suck it up and enjoy driving and I'll fix it. Doesn't change the fact I didn't like that it happened, but I've had this happen with literally every car I've owned so that's just my luck haha. I wouldn't park it I'm a college area and I don't take it to areas in which I know it will be open to more potential "attacks". But you really have no control over the stupidity of people.

If you have the opportunity to get a garage then go for it even if you have to pay extra. In Cali and Florida we can drive our nsxs year round but I know that's not the easiest thing to do up north. if you can't do it but still want an nsx, just judge it by your area. Like others, I would hate to have to deal with the hassle of insurance. Do what makes you happy. I could see how winter weather could play a factor as not everyone is up to driving their nsx in a harsh winter but some on here have done it. For me that would be the biggest concern.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, all the advice is very good.

During the day, its going to be parked where i work out in the sun/rain whether i had a garage or not. Initially i thought it was impossible to own and NSX at an apartment for the same reason, its dangerous having a nice car like that out in a car park. But, I'm a massive car enthusiast and its hard to accept not being able to buy anything nice because i don't have a garage. Anything I'm going to buy is going to be nice, whether its E46 M3 or a 370Z, ect.

The area my car is parked at is far removed from the road, here is a map of my complex, and the red dot is my parking area.

some of the nearby complex's have detached garages, but they are like $150 a month and don't have garage openers, so i need to get out, pull it open park, close and lock and go inside, ect.

I'm in west Chester. PM me. I might be able to help out.

If you going to DD one just buy a cheep one. I wouldn't go spending a crazy amount on a garage queen. Drive the crap out of it. After all it's a Honda.

I think at the end of the day it's about you, how much you want to own the NSX, and how much risk you can take.

You know the neighborhood better than any of us giving you advice here, and you know how much you want the NSX and whether you're willing to wait or not.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

No offense to the OP (or anyone else who does not have a garage).

Though at this time and age, no matter it's a '91 or '05, I think the NSX deserves to be treated a little better than parking it outdoor vunerable to all sorts of conditions.

If you don't have the means to take good care of it now, then it is probably not your time to own one yet. Don't let the thought that there are younger owners bother you, it isn't the toughest task to buy an NSX now, monetarily speaking anyways. If it's meant to be, it's meant to be, your time will come sooner or later. There will always be younger owners out there.

IMHO, it takes a much bigger person to own it responsibly than to buy one in the heat of the moment and hope for the best. This doesn't just apply to buying an NSX, either.

Again, no offense (though I have a feeling that I'm gonna get flamed, oh well :redface:), you be your own judge.

This idea that you shouldn't own a NSX if you don't have the means for it taking care of it (meaning a garage) is arrogant.

I happen to live in a semi-rural area outside of Austin, and I don't have a garage. But I do have a carport. My NSX sits in the carport. My car is very well cared for.

Would I like a garage? Sure. But I have kids in college. My NSX is very special to me and it gets driven twice a week.

Compared to "ruining" a NSX with dumb fast and furious mods, owning a NSX without a garage is nothing.

This idea that you shouldn't own a NSX if you don't have the means for it taking care of it (meaning a garage) is arrogant.

I happen to live in a semi-rural area outside of Austin, and I don't have a garage. But I do have a carport. My NSX sits in the carport. My car is very well cared for.

Would I like a garage? Sure. But I have kids in college. My NSX is very special to me and it gets driven twice a week.

Compared to "ruining" a NSX with dumb fast and furious mods, owning a NSX without a garage is nothing.

Arrogant? Come on, is finding a place to live in the US with a garage too much to ask for? :rolleyes:

Among the 7 years I lived in Boston, I've moved into 3 different apartments and they all have garages.

A carport is fine, at least don't leave it out in the open.

Arrogant? Come on, is finding a place to live in the US with a garage too much to ask for? :rolleyes:
The point is, it's just a car. Really.

We've got 2 nice cars and a 1 car garage. Whichever one was washed most recently gets the garage. Therefore, my NSX sleeps in the driveway its share of nights. What's the big deal? I damn sure am not going to buy a new house so my 16 year old Acura can have a private spot in the garage.

Last edited:
The point is, it's just a car. Really.

We've got 2 nice cars and a 1 car garage. Whichever one was washed most recently gets the garage. Therefore, my NSX sleeps in the driveway its share of nights. What's the big deal? I damn sure am not going to buy a new house so my 16 year old Acura can have a private spot in the garage.

I very much comprehend and accept the fact that cars (or anything for any matter) do not get equal treatment on this planet. There's no big deal. Really.

Technically, you already fell in the group of owning an NSX WITH a garage. Whenever it doesn't get in the garage, at least you still have a choice of watching it over your driveway and do a quick switch as you see fit.

Well I'm pretty sure i want to get the NSX, its my dream car and i can afford it. Im very passionate and will take care of it like it was a child, if i need, at any moment i can cross the street and rent a 10x20 garage. I plan to drive the NSX a lot and do not intend for it to be a gar..err....parking lot queen. I just want to get my finances together, read and learn more, and save up more. The idea of owning one is slightly intimidating, because I'm used to Tiburons, WRX's, Audi TT...NSX is highest rung of the latter in the japanese car world IMO. Most people will think its stupid to buy a sports car or to buy something 20 years old. I sapose what i 'should' do, as a car enthusiast is to buy yet another WRX and mod the exhaust. I don't know, i just have one life and want to get the NSX and thats that. I'm in no rush at all, I'm just taking it easy and will get it all sorted. Im going to be buying a cheap second car to go along with it. Here is another shot of where i park, IMO, its a private, safe area. Thanks for all the opinions to owners

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/3857/31254860013567685272106.jpg

After i get my bonus this christmas I'm going to start looking for one, will finance $8-12k on it depending on the particular car. I could get it now but want to finance a lesser amount. I would finance part of the car even if i had all the money up front, i want to build credit, save the cash incase sh!t hits the fan in this economy, with really low monthly payments.

Last edited:
Well I'm pretty sure i want to get the NSX, its my dream car and i can afford it. Im very passionate and will take care of it like it was a child, if i need, at any moment i can cross the street and rent a 10x20 garage. I plan to drive the NSX a lot and do not intend for it to be a gar..err....parking lot queen. I just want to get my finances together, read and learn more, and save up more. The idea of owning one is slightly intimidating, because I'm used to Tiburons, WRX's, Audi TT...NSX is highest rung of the latter in the japanese car world IMO. Most people will think its stupid to buy a sports car or to buy something 20 years old. I sapose what i 'should' do, as a car enthusiast is to buy yet another WRX and mod the exhaust. I don't know, i just have one life and want to get the NSX and thats that. I'm in no rush at all, I'm just taking it easy and will get it all sorted. Im going to be buying a cheap second car to go along with it. Here is another shot of where i park, IMO, its a private, safe area. Thanks for all the opinions to owners

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/3857/31254860013567685272106.jpg

After i get my bonus this christmas I'm going to start looking for one, will finance $8-12k on it depending on the particular car. I could get it now but want to finance a lesser amount. I would finance part of the car even if i had all the money up front, i want to build credit, save the cash incase sh!t hits the fan in this economy, with really low monthly payments.

Good call. Do it.

reading your last post makes me believe you are going to be risking alot with a 25k used car at this time in your life.You really can't afford something if you need borrow 50%.Will you have the 3k per year you need to maintaine and replenish consumables on a dd nsx? There are far better ways to "build" a good credit score.Honestly you have a very nice looking tiburon,have patience for your dream car purchase.

reading your last post makes me believe you are going to be risking alot with a 25k used car at this time in your life.You really can't afford something if you need borrow 50%.Will you have the 3k per year you need to maintaine and replenish consumables on a dd nsx? There are far better ways to "build" a good credit score.Honestly you have a very nice looking tiburon,have patience for your dream car purchase.

H'e been a few months out of college....not many people can save up $25k in 6mo. He's a petro engineer....prob makes plenty enough to buy a $25k car.

Go for it man, just got mine 2mo ago and wish I would have gotten it sooner. You only live once

I had 3 different NSXs without a garage living in my Condo, no problems. Now I have a garage and it is alot better because it is easier to keep it clean.

IMGP0294.JPG

004_04.jpg

021_21.jpg

I could have saved allot of money had I not ened up purchasing a new home with a 3 car garage because I purchased an NSX and didn't want my DD outside in the winter.
Not so much worried about my DD, but more so about my comfort & not being outside with 20 to 30 below wind chills scraping windows and cleaning off snow :cool:
I also could have saved money by purchasing a lift.. oh well.
My NSX is 20 years old + now, but still the nicest car in our stable.

The wise thing to do, would be to wait, save your money, invest, let your money work for you, etc. But hey, you are only young once, so enjoy your life to the fullest.

I went through 8 cars in a 4 year period when I was young... it wasn't the best move financially, but it sure was fun :biggrin:

There are serveral people here on Prime, I'm remembering Canada, who drive their NSX's in the snow & winter. So, it can be done. But there are better vehicles designed for winter conditions than an NSX.

Keep us posted.

well i own an nsx for almost a year without a garage and trust me its a little hard to keep it clean but if you take care of it and cover it with a nice car cover you should be fine. you might have to wash it and wax it more ofteb but who cares you have and NSX now, no pain no gain. And like one primer said we are young once so have fun with car and add memories to your life with it, when shit is meant to happen it will happen with or without a garage trust me. Live your life and dont let your life live you, enjoy the ride.

Had no furniture. Slept on sleeping bag. Shared condo with friends. NSX in a climate controlled storage. Almost no body knew I had NSX. Good times!

Last edited:
Back