• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX won't start - Main relay already replaced ??

MvM

Legendary Member
I am posting this for a fellow NSX-owner.

Yesterday, he had the problem that his NSX would not start.
I would turn the key but nothing happened. Battery is fine, headlights etc. will all work but the engine will not turn.

My first reaction was: MAIN RELAY !!
So, he has replaced the main relay but the car still will not start.

When he turns the key, he can hear a clicking noise, but nothing else happens.

So, what would be the NEXT thing to check ??

Clean battery terminals and make sure they are tight. As Brian said, it is either a bad connection or a dead battery.

OK, so I'll throw my hat into the ring. Last week I had a similar issue with my 2004. The car would not start, but in my case, the headlights wouldn't turn on and there was no power to the seats. I found that my positive (+) terminal had jumped off of the battery connection!

I had about 20 or so hours between the time I left the car in its "will not start" state and the time I was able to go troubleshoot it. During those 20 hours, I researched the electrical aspects of the NSX through various links on Prime. I was able to develop a pretty good troubleshooting plan from the 1991 Service Manual, Chapter 11, page 104. http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Reference/1991_svcman/1991servman.pdf

Use that flow chart and it should lead you to the problem area. As I said, my problem was really easy once I had daylight to see the battery terminals. Since you have some power items working, you need to follow the flow chart and see where it leads you. You'll need a volt/multimeter and some patience. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Last edited:
The negative terminal on the battery lead is notorious for being stretched and loose;). Make sure you do check both.

HTH,
LarryB

the Starter, i had the same problem where it would just "click" and nothing. bat was fine, terminal for my batt was fine, fuses and all the above mention was fine. had the started replaced and it works like new.

I have the same problem last night and force me to leave the car in a car park for 12 hous ($$$).

I had that before and I believe it is the starter. It was warm/hot and the car just wont start. After some cooling down, the car start normally.

BAttery and everything is fine. This happens to me about a few years ago and once it is like that, there is a very likely chance that it will happen again until you rebuild or repalce the starter.

Back