• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

nxs pop up headlights

jag

Contributing Member
I was driving to work this morning and a late model pontiac trans am pulled up behind me. A light drizzle was in the air and he had his headlights on. I looked back and thought...wow are those ugly. It was the first thought I had. Not this guy is tailgating me, not he's really close for how bad the weather is...just, wow are those head lights ugly. I don't know if you have ever seen them but it looks to me like GM just spaced out and never considered what they would look like when they were up.

Now, to my point. I love the way the NSX looks with the headlight up. I think whether they are up or down makes no difference. Honda had their act together when they designed these lights because the look great either way.

Am I the only one who thinks this or are there others who just as soon have the new 2002 headlights. Just wondering.

[This message has been edited by jag (edited 21 March 2002).]

i actually PREFER the popup headlights on the car. although many would say it 'dates' the design, i think the car looks sleeker with the popups...

a more rounded fender (bulbous?) with integrated lights would look ok if they could do that without detracting from the sleek look...

the new models look great and i want one, but in truth i prefer the older design from an asthetic viewpoint....

I, too, think that the NSX has one of the best popup headlight design. The other one that comes to mine are the Vettes that flips forwards that looks quite nice and the Porsche 928 that looks like of wierd. I remember the slant nosed 930s were expensive upgrade.

All others, like the old MR2s, RX7s, Miatas, Tran Ams, Probes, 3000GTs etc... they all looks like startled animals with the lights up. I have seen RX7s driving around during the day time with the head light half way open to create the NSX look. Of course the lights were off and pointing downward.

I actually like the Marga Hills fixed headlights design better than the 2002 OEM. But of course the Marga Hills looks more like an after market upgrade with all the screw showing. All in all, I'm sticking with the popups.

I never thought I liked pop up headlights until I saw an NSX. They really did a good job with the design. I guess it's because they don't come up very far.

I used to have a Trans Am and I always thought the car was ugly with the lights up. Even worse, I always had to get out of the car and yank the left one up to get it to pop up all the way. Ever notice how many Trans Ams are winking at you when they drive by?

Matt

I usually drive with the headlight up, I think the NSX looks awesome with those twin projector headlights on each side. Am I the only one here that drive with the headlight up in the middle of the day?

Just out of curiousity, have anyone ever tried running the NSx all top speed with the lights DOWN and compare with the top speed with the flips UP.

This might be interesting cause the 02 NSX claims to have about 8MPH increase in top speed(175 vs 167?) against the 91-01 body style. And that's due to the reduction of drag coefficient from 0.32 to 0.30.

Since the 91-01 NSXs have drag coefficient of 0.32 with the flip lights DOWN, it probably have higher coefficient of 0.34 with the lights UP? and that could effectively bring down the top speed to 160-162MPH???
biggrin.gif

Every time i see a car with the popup lights, i say to myself, that looks realy dated and ugly.
But then when i go for a drive with the NSX's i notice that the NSX headlights are realy, realy nice!
I'd say that the NSX has the best looking popup headlights ever made. I also think they look better then the new design, and the Marga H. look better then the 2002 design.

I always have lights on during daytime, so much saver. Actually, i think that in Sweden you have to run them during daytime.

I use the foglights though.

Only need HID....
wink.gif

"What's wrong with popup headlamps? Every car magazine despises them, and, for the next model year, the NSX swaps flush mounted lamps for the tried-and-true popups. Sure, popup lamps create noticeable drag at high speeds, but, if you're a real racer, you'll be racing on a track in the light of day. Even nightime enduro racers will put their own lighting system in anyways. Although already a very desirable automobile, the popups added that extra "neato" factor that made this car even more cool."
http://www.thedriveway.com/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=4

I had a late model firebird and the headlamps were not only ugly but they bounced badly after hitting any kind of bump. All the GM cars I've unfortunatly owned with pop-up headlamps (fiero, saturn, firebird) were un--reliable plastic crap that and required some level of attention to keep operational.

The NSX headlamps are completely different. Reliable and rock solid. The way they pop up just says quality. I love the pop-ups on the NSX and don't care too much about the 2002 or what magazine editors want.

hg

Me, I am a popup headlights kind of guy. I've always thought they were neat.

I got a real kick out of reading those Trans-Am stories. It really is true; so many TA's are out there winking
biggrin.gif
GM... *sigh*

I think the NSX has one of the truly great popup implementations and I too appreciate the 930, 928 and C4 Corvette approaches.

As far as the "new direction in styling" that all of the mags are creaming over; ugh, don't get me started. The mags like change for its own sake because it helps them sell issues.

I love the 2002 because it's an NSX, but the front looks kind of odd to me. For the same reason I prefer the F355 to F360...

I don't care if popups are supposedly "dated". Look at all the retro mania (TBird, PTCruiser, Prowler, GT40, TT, Z8) How "dated" are those looks??? It doesn't seem to bother the press, though, because those looks were on hiatous for a while; so they are "refreshing"... Bleh...

[This message has been edited by spookyp (edited 20 March 2002).]

One of the reasons I like the NSX so much is the sleek look from the front with the headlights down. Another reason is the headlights are very small and rectangular, which makes them fit in with the overall effect of the wedge, and IMHO only adds to the looks of the car. I do not know of another car that looks as good as the NSX with the headlights popped up.

This one will drive all the "no rain" guys crazy, but one of the sexiest poses you will ever see the NSX in is with the headlights on in a light rain with all the water droplets on the hood and fenders and the beams semi-outlined in the falling rain.

------------------
Gary Yates
1995 Red/Tan

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
The only one here in the States? Yes, you probably are.

You can drive with the headlight up without turning your lights on, there is a button on the left side of the dash that makes the headlights stay up. Sometimes I park my car with the headlights up, I think it looks pretty nice.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
The only one here in the States? Yes, you probably are.

No he's not....if I'm driving in the canyons my headlights are up!!! to many people don't understand the concept of the double yellow line.

Yes, I do love NSX's pop-up head lites. And agreed with the rest of you that, it's probably the best pop-up design of our lifetime. They give hints for the car's personality. I think the four projectors, combined with the low rise of the lites make them different than aything else out there save 850i.

I used to have a BMW 850i, and yes, the headlites on those are pretty similar to NSXs, only wider.

Isn't the improved CD on '02 can be credited to smoother underside instead of front body works?

Agreed.

Many popup lights look similar to that of an Anime character, often with the front spoiler adding to the effect, producing almost a goofy looking smiley face (Miata).

The NSX almost has a squint, that reminds me of the Diablo at times giving it a more aggressive stance with the lights up.

I routinely drive around during the day with the lights up (then again I live in the NW and we only occasionally see the sun anyway).

it is interesting to hear so many people like the popup design.... i persoanally prefer it to the new designs which take away from the sleek look.

if the design and tech was poor, like on the vette(please no flames), the change would be welcome....

Back