• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Oakland Athletics Clinch

As a lifelong baseball fan and a season ticket holder to the Oakland A's
I was thrilled to see them clinch a play-off berth with a win on Monday.
Nobody picked this Cinderella team to be more then a cellar-dweller.
5 rookie starters. 29th in payroll. More then half their team are rookies.
Cast-offs from other teams playing as one. I could go on and on.

If this is not one of most fascinating tales of accomplishment in recent sports history I must be missing something.

Go A's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too much to hope for another Battle of the Bay World Series?

I mean, what's the worst that could happen...

Bay-Bridge.jpg

A repeat of the Bay Bridge series without the earthquake would be SWEEEET!
A's sweep the Giants in four just like 1989.

Sorry, boys......:redface:

I heard the Tigers were gonna growl starting this Saturday.

Sorry boys, it's the year of the Yanks! :biggrin:

How do you see the match-up of the Tigers VS the A's?

Just like the movie money ball, for such budget, the goals are to get in play-off and discover more young talent players. There were many HOF guys that came out from A's.

go AL A's and NL Giants.... Bay Area FTW. oh...... Sharks and 9ers of course.

Sorry, a true A's fan cannot cheer for the Giants.

Got to love what the O's have done this year. If not the A's I will be pulling for Buck and the O's.

A's had a chance to take game 2. Only 10% of teams who lose the first 2 go on to sweep the opposing team. Considering Verlander would face the A's IN GAME 5 that does not appear to be a winning combo. However, that is why they play the games.

Go A's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A's had a chance to take game 2. Only 10% of teams who lose the first 2 go on to sweep the opposing team. Considering Verlander would face the A's IN GAME 5 that does not appear to be a winning combo. However, that is why they play the games.

Go A's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes.

A's have a lot of good - lookin' young talent. Oh, and one OLD guy, Coco Crisp. It will be an interesting T-W-TH of baseball.

Oh crap...... Game Five Detroit-Oakland tonight but the V-P debate merits watching (going to be quite entertaining, actually) and my Pittsburgh Steelers play TN at 820 pm on NFL Network. I need a three-screened big ole TV! :biggrin:

A Georgia boy who Loves
The Oakland A's and Raiders.

I was wishing for a Braves and A's world series.

GOOOOOOOOOO A's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, a true A's fan cannot cheer for the Giants.
Well I am a 3rd generation Giants fan but I live closer to the Oakland Coliseum so I go to a lot of their games too.
Hard not to root for a team that has no quit in them. Go A's & Go Giants! Game 5!

My father was a Giants fan starting with the NY Giants. I was taken to my first Giants game in 1962. In 1968 the A's made there way to Oakland.
In 1972 the swinging A's made there way to the scene. I started following
them in 72 and have never gone back to the Giants.

There is something special to me about the A's. They are the sad sister to the Giant's. The Giant's have the $, stadium and receive all the publicity in the marketplace. It's even hard to find the A's on the radio. It's hard to be an A's fan and easy to be a Giant's fan. I am an A's fan not because it is easy, but because it is hard.

This is my favorite baseball season in 50 years of following the game and the
A's and the O's are what have made it as such.

Neither team progressed in the play-offs, but both teams took substantial steps in improving as a team. Next year.

Back