• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

odometer rollback - Any lawyers out there?

Originally posted by Tony Montoya:
I think you just need experience in eyeing what a car should look like at a certain mileage. Wear on the seat is a giveaway but can be solved by replacing the seat. An accident can be fixed but an expert will notice it.
Used cars are now priced at a 5 year low, if you have doubts about a car walk away. There is always another one.
I am not an expert and when I bought a used car from the new car dealer I paid more and I never got the car checked at all and I didn't get burned.

Another tell tale sign of high milage is excessive wear on the gas and brake pedal.

Originally posted by RyRy210:
For fun, I recently ran a carfax for my 3000GT that I sold to a gentlemen in texas a few years ago. I was the original owner of the car and sent in all the documents to the DMW. Well, the carfax has only 1 entry, that it was sold new in CA with 10 miles on the odometer in '96. Nothing else. The DMV knows that the car is now in Texas since I sent in the release of liability form along with the new owner's info, but the carfax has no other entries other than the 1st entry I stated above.

I too ran car faxes on some of the past cars and trucks I have owned. I was suprised to find out that a 95 lightning pickup that I bought and totaled 3 weeks later had a clean title. Go figure?

Originally posted by steveny:
Stevefromatl Could you post some pics of the pedals?

fc96702e.jpg

http://wdb.wardsauto.com/ar/auto_odometer_fraud_keeps/

I do hope you follow through with this. There should be enough information for you, or the authorities to pinpoint the culprit.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
1976 Honda Accord 5 spd, 3 door Blue/Blue
1977 Honda Accord - Custom - Under Construction
2003 MINI Cooper S - On Order - All Black
1986 Chevy Suburban
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

Originally posted by stevefromatl:
fc96702e.jpg

Well, for starters, the clutch pedal is aftermarket, while the other two are factory. People usually replace all three when it's done for aesthetics, so my guess is that it was replaced b/c it was excessively worn & not much care was taken to match the brake & gas, basically, just a quick, cheap fix. Unless of course, you put that on yourself.

Originally posted by Jimbo:
http://wdb.wardsauto.com/ar/auto_odometer_fraud_keeps/

I do hope you follow through with this. There should be enough information for you, or the authorities to pinpoint the culprit.

-Jim

Thanks Jim. I will try and find out if there is anything I can do about this. I will email the person that wrote the article and see if there is anyway I can get in contact with him.

I bought from a dealer but insisted on speaking to the prior owner of mine, wouldn't buy a used car without doing so. Carfax also confirmed mileage.

If you go to that link, you'll find it is an uber ultra rare NSX Alex Zanardi edition!!!!

Ooooh... the 94 3.0L, 5 speed, ultra rare Zanardi without the Zanardi seats, Zanardi shift knob, Zanardi trunk mat, Zanardi floor mats, or Zanardi wheels or the Zanardi color. Yes indeed, I believe that is a one of a kind Zanardish NSX. :wink:

Ok, I'm in the market again and I just talked with the current owner of this car. He didn't say a thing about it. Of course, I always do carfax reports and would have seen this, but I will now avoid this car.

Once again, if it sounds too good to be true...

Last edited:
I really like this line in the ad.
"This will be one of the nicest ones you look at! Interior exterior mechanically all are spectacular! This car has never been abused. And it shows"

Did you see the avatar of the OP??

hahaha:eek:

Sent the carfax to the current seller, here was the response for any interested parties:

"Yep totally aware of the history.
The car shows 20k miles right now. The cluster was replaced by Acura, we have the documents to support this.
You should still at least look at it. I was going to pass on the car, also. But I at least looked at it and was blown away by the condition. It was better than virtually ALL the NSX's I looked at. The 3 that were better were $33,000 and up. I looked at 11 NSX's when I bought it.
It is the nicest out there. Only 20k miles in the last 7 years. cluster was replaced at 69k miles at gatorland Acura. We believe there was an error on carfax, because the miles are closer to accurate on AutoCheck. All records for the last 7 years.
thanks Mike"

I'm still going to pass. Don't want the hassle on a future resale if I move on to something else.

Back