• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

OEM Gun Metal 16/17 What are they worth?

I am thinking about selling my OEM and going for a 17/18 set-up. What are the OEM rims worth. Gun Metal nearly perfect condition from a 1996 with 50k. These rims have no bends and the paint is near perfect. no curb rash or anything.

Assuming they have no tires (or tires that aren't worth anything), I would say $1800 or so if they are really as perfect as you describe. Even with no curb rash, most wheels have some minor imperfections after 50K miles - a small chip or two, minor scratches, etc - in which case they might be worth in the $1400-1500 range.

How about polishing them?

I've been using mine for racing and after a while they started getting pretty scratched. This is what they look like when polished.

Grass.jpg

Profile.jpg

Solo.jpg

Garage.jpg

Dave

Nice job. I have a Brooklands Green. How do they look on your car? Any photos?

Re: How about polishing them?

SoCal-NSX said:
I've been using mine for racing and after a while they started getting pretty scratched. This is what they look like when polished.
This is probably a noob question, but what causes wheels to get scratched up on the track?

CokerRat said:
This is probably a noob question, but what causes wheels to get scratched up on the track?
I don't think it's a newbie question. And I don't think wheels get scratched up on the track.

With track use, wheels get mounted and dismounted frequently. With proper care, this doesn't scratch them at all. If you aren't careful and scratch them with your lug wrench or torque wrench, or if you let them fall on their face, I suppose you could damage them that way - but that's because you're not being careful, not because you're using them on the track.

I suppose you could damage wheels going off the track... but you can damage lots of parts that way.

Oh, and I think a lot of scratched wheels are used on the track... but that's because wheels are cheaper when they're already scratched up, so they start out scratched before they ever hit the track. Same thing for anyone who scratches their street wheels and decides to use them on the track. Nobody cares if they're already scratched, because you don't worry about their cosmetic appearance for track use.

Sorry guys, here's the cross post:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31618

As far as the getting scratched up the track, NSXTACY is right that it only happens that bad if you go off - which I did at Buttonwillow (lost hill) when I first got the car.

Once they were scratched a little, the gray started wearing off pretty quickly.

Doh!
Dave

Back