• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

OEM head unit, and phone removal

Just bought a really nice '92 and I'll post more about that on the general duscussion forum. Right now I have some sound system questions:

The OEM sound system has problems, and I think it's all with the head unit. This is the Acura/Bose system with the 6 CD changer in the trunk. I just replaced the OEM antenna with an S2000 unit. Current status:

1. The unit turns on, everything on the screen works, all knobs and controls seem to work OK.

2. The CD system works OK. I can switch to CD, play a CD, change through tracks, etc. I can hear the CDs through the speakers and the sound isn't too bad, just doesn't seem to produce full volume.

3. Based on listening to a CD, the speakers/amps seem to be functioning OK,
but I won't know fior sure until the head unit is working.

4. The radio switches from AM to FM, the tuner seems to be functioning, all the presets work, etc. BUT there is (almost) no volume. I can hear the stations faintly, and if I lightly tap the on/off button it sometimes pops and gets a bit louder.

Does this sound like a head unit problem? If that's it, then I'll probably replace it with a serviced unit from Willman's.

I assume that once the head unit is working, I can then diagnose any speaker amp problems, if there are any? Does this seem like the correct sequence to getting this system working?

Second issue: the car has the optional factory phone installed. I want to remove that. Is this an "overlay" system, where I can just remove all the components and wiring without affecting the rest of the sound system? I had the same system in an '88 Porsche but that was clearly an aftermarket install and was easy to remove; dropped about 20 pounds too :>

Thanks! Dave

sounds like the head unit is bad. needs to be repaired.
I think BrianK does that service contact him.

as for the 1990 analog phone system. it is a stand alone system.

so cutting all the wires and removing everything is OK it will not effect your stereo system or car systems.

the first thing I did when i got my 1992 was CUT everything related to the phone system out. I still have it if you want it LOL.

Thanks Shawn! Going to pull the phone system now, then the head unit. I still have the Motorola phone parts out of the Porsche, so I'll pass on your offer :biggrin:

Bump this for the phone removal... Want to clean up all unnecessary items such as the phone .. Traced to the black Motorola box but what about all wires connected to unit? Did you trace all wires and remove them or just unplug box and leave wires and antenna wire?.. The aftermarket double din unit is starting to have some issues as we'll touchscreen works when it wants too

I'd really like to get my hands on an OEM, Motorola mobil phone aerial.
If either of you have one that is intact or repairable please let me know.

Cheers
nigel

I removed all the wire from the trunk n the black box next to the CD changer. I have to say what a good feeling to remove allthiss weight. now I am in the interior. I just removed the phone dial pad. following all the wire to the center behind the seat. do anyone know is the black box above the center Bose speaker part of the system?

I think it is one way to tell is if it has a din plug that has like 40 pins inside

Back