• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

OEM head unit failure "easy" fix

Because there appears to be more and more OEM headunit failures lately, I decided to post my recent experience with mine. After much trial and tribulation, I found an easy fix. Please be sure your speakers work before trying this, as speaker amp failures are more common.

I have the SOS Proformance Stage 2 amp and speakers, but kept the OEM headunit. The left channel on my headunit kept going out intermittantly, until it finally turned into static only. After several hours of troubleshooting, I found a solution. On the top of the headunit case there is a wiring diagram for the connector. I swapped the FRONT left channel wires with the REAR left channel wires (there are no rear speakers in our NSX, but the amp is wired for them). It works perfect now! There is no apparent sound degredation with this setup. I also do not know how long it will last (hopefully another 15 years as the rear left amplifier has never been used...).

When this fails, will need to get a new head unit and center console, mounting brackets, etc......

Good luck.

Dave

I swapped the FRONT left channel wires with the REAR left channel wires (there are no rear speakers in our NSX, but the amp is wired for them). It works perfect now! There is no apparent sound degredation with this setup.
I hate to break it to you but there is a rear speaker which is between and behind the seats. It is driven by the same amp that drives the subwoofer, which according to the wiring diagram in the service manual, is driven by the left rear and right rear outputs from the head unit.
...Ian

Many times, what people think is a head unit failure, is actually a failure of the speaker-amps.

I have an easy fix. I drive to Briank's to have him refurbish. :)

I agree. the diagram that on the radio is the same diagram on every honda radio from 1989-1997. could be earlier than 1989.

the both rear channels on the sticker actually goes to the sub, then it send the signal to the tweeter in the middle of the seats.

the tweeter I think has a cap on it to filter the sub and mid out.

and the NSX radio hasnt changed so the NSX radio's have the same sticker from begining to the end of it production run.

but it would work. as you would be using the rear channels of the audio source. but you may notice some songs that are recorded in stereo or whatever some of the words may fade in and out.

ist like taking one of the speakers out of your surround sound. there will be something missed. I dont think I am explaining it right. but you get the picture.

Many times, what people think is a head unit failure, is actually a failure of the speaker-amps.

I have an easy fix. I drive to Briank's to have him refurbish. :)

He does not fix head units (yet).

The radio sounds quite good to me, but I wonder if I am losing certain requencies based on above comments. I'm just saying it actually works now. I would be happy to keep the OEM unit if repairable.

I agree. the diagram that on the radio is the same diagram on every honda radio from 1989-1997. could be earlier than 1989.

the both rear channels on the sticker actually goes to the sub, then it send the signal to the tweeter in the middle of the seats.

the tweeter I think has a cap on it to filter the sub and mid out.

and the NSX radio hasnt changed so the NSX radio's have the same sticker from begining to the end of it production run.

but it would work. as you would be using the rear channels of the audio source. but you may notice some songs that are recorded in stereo or whatever some of the words may fade in and out.

ist like taking one of the speakers out of your surround sound. there will be something missed. I dont think I am explaining it right. but you get the picture.

I am not an electronics wiz, but since I am using the SOS Proformance Stage 2 amp and speakers, I am bypassing the OEM sub/tweeter. Am I now getting all the proper sounds/tones to the left channel?? Maybe that's why it sounds good to me.

Was just looking at this diagram wiring specs on another thread...I was questioning if anyone knew if:

1)The front speaker leads are high passed already from Head Unit? or are full range?

2)The bass footwell speaker leads from Head unit are low passed already from Head Unit?..or are full range?

See post #8 in the attached link for wiring diagram from repair manual...

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141462

This would really make a significant difference in the leads to aftermarket amps if they were full range or frequency specific...Thanks guys in advance if anyone knows for sure and can post the answer.

Curtis

willman worked on a noise problem on my oem volume knob,got it about 80% better,but didn't respond to 2 emails when i tried to ask him if he would work with me on getting it fixed all the way.i think he does pretty good work,but do not recommend him for lack of follow up.

I too have a headunit failure.

And I know it to be the headunit and not the speakers/speaker amps because I had all three repaired by BrianK as I thought they were the issue at first. Got them back and still had the same issue so I troubleshooted by swapping the left and right assemblies. Come to find out it was the headunit having issues with its left output, as both assemblies worked perfectly when connected to the right output.

I referred to BrianK to see if he repaired headunits, which he says he has been trying lately, but hasn't had much luck.
I haven't had time to remove the headunit so I haven't tried BrianK yet, but I might give this WilliamElectronics a call to see what they have to say. Or hopefully a friend can find his old OEM headunit for me, that would be ideal, as far as minimizing downtime (and seeing if my headunit can be repaired).

Back