• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

oem keyless locks but won't unlock

I discovered a while back that my '95 had keyless installed, it just didn't have the remotes. Well i FINALLY got the remotes the other day (after sending pics of the module to Alpine through the Ray Laks parts dept to make sure they sent me the correct remote). Everything seems to work great - the alarm sounds, the doors lock, and the car arms itself.... but when i "unlock" it - it disarms (door LED stops flashing) and sounds like it wants to unlock - BUT stops short of popping the locks up. :confused: When i use my key in the passengers door both doors unlock and the power locks work just fine when i use the door switches. This leads me to believe everything on the car is working just fine. I had to unbolt the module from under the pass side glovebox to get a picture and make sure it was plugged in - could a wire be disconnected? The only reason I got the remote was so I didn't have to use my key to UNlock it all the time. Does anyone have any ideas before i go to the dealer for help?? I've heard horror stories about the dealer in Des Moines... anyone know of a private shop in the area? ...heh heh.. any owners even in the area?
Well, you guys have always been great with helpin me out. Hopefully someday I'll have owned #142 long enough to add my $.02.

How are you locking it? If you lock the doors with the key, or by pushing down the lock on the door, the keyless doesn't seem to understand. Then when you push the keyless unlock, it tries to lock it. Push it again and it will unlock. I just had to relearn to always lock it with the keyless entry.

I lock it with the keyless and it still doesn't unlock - I've sat there and tried all kinds of cominations for 45 mins - but its just not unlocking - havent started the car (too cold/nasty to drive anyway) but ive turned the ignition on for a while thinking maybe it needs to recognize it - im flummoxed :frown:

:smile:
yes - i'm "doing it right" I've had a few Hondas/Acuras - they've all been the same. This one seems like it wants to unlock - it even makes a little noise and disarms when i unlock it - but neither of the door locks go up... thanks though. In that 45 mins that i messed w/ it i've done everything from holding the keyless buttons down to rapidly tapping them. It's probably something obvious... no ones had this problem before? I just wish it didnt lock instead - i could live with that.

Sounds like you're doing everything right, it's just not working. Once you get in and lock the car with the button, can you unlock it with the button inside the car (the one on the door). That might tell you if it's a problem with the solenoid or wiring, or whether it's the keyless entry unit.

thats one thing I don't think I tried

I'll be with the car again tomorrow night - I'll try it then

Thanks!

Yes, when locked w/ the remote...

it can still be unlocked from the inside door switches. Last night I spent a while inside the car - locking and unlocking in all the combinations i could think of. Still the same thing though. The keyless will lock and when it should unlock it just disarms (the led stops blinking) and about 15 seconds later it arms itself again and tries to relock itself (which it should do). From what I know everything is working correctly -theres just something not letting those locks go up when promted from the remote/keyless system.
Thanks for the help. I know there are some keyless entry experts out there (I've done a few searches for this topic). Not sure I really even trust the dealer to find the culprit. Looks like their usual suggestion is to just replace the whole system... there's got to be a better way. Any other ideas?
Thanks!

MLmotorsport said:
I discovered a while back that my '95 had keyless installed, it just didn't have the remotes. Well i FINALLY got the remotes the other day (after sending pics of the module to Alpine through the Ray Laks parts dept to make sure they sent me the correct remote). Everything seems to work great - the alarm sounds,

This last part stands out for me...my OEM alarm does NOT sound. I was with the understanding that from 2003 back, you get no sound (or lights), just the locks locking and unlocking. 2004 & 2005 the alarm is integrated, and you get sound and lights flashing.

Is this an OEM unit, or is it an aftermarket?

This had keyless installed at the dealer before delivery in 3/96 according to my paperwork. It's an OEM unit. The remote has a lock/unlock button and a "alm. ext." button which is slightly smaller. The lights go up and flash and the horn sounds when i hit that button while the car is locked and armed.
The idea that the unlock pulse is too short could be it, i guess, because it does make a bit of an electrical sound like its wanting to push the locks but just doesnt get that far. i have no idea of knowing where to even start on fixing this one - i can follow directions and i have a dealership full of american car mechanics that could maybe help (but aren't usually willing on my import "junk" as they call it :wink: . Should i be getting an "electrical troubleshooting manual" or can u talk me through this one?

Any possibility you can swap the keyless unit with a known good one? If that works, you're looking at fixing the bad unit itself, and I think briank is the only one that might be good at that.

I have the same problem with my aftermarket keyless. Odd as it sounds. Did this ever get resolved? I found that if I unplug the security module and then plug it back in then it works fine for a few minutes then stops unlocking again.

Any ideas?

I have the same problem with my aftermarket keyless. Odd as it sounds. Did this ever get resolved? I found that if I unplug the security module and then plug it back in then it works fine for a few minutes then stops unlocking again.

Any ideas?

Nope, never resolved. I finally went through everything using a volt meter and thought I'd finally traced it to the security module, but when I replaced it with another (perfectly operating) module and the same problem was still there... I gave up. I've spent so much time trying to figure it out that it doesn't seem like that big of a deal anymore to just unlock it with a key. :smile:

Just to rule out the simple things...

The way the OEM system is designed, if you use the fob to unlock the doors, and you don't open the driver's door within a short period (five seconds?), it re-locks everything. Is it possible you're unlocking from a distance, or for some other reason not opening the driver's door immediately after pressing the button?

Nope. Car is in the garage with the interior torn apart while I work on the stereo situation. If I unplug the security module the car wont start, but doors lock and unlock just fine. I plug it back in and it works for about 10 minutes then it dies again. So its just got me confused. Something in the security module is saying, "Hey, lets not unlock anymore."

I am going to try a hard ground to see if it helps.

So the car has sat unmoving for a week and for some reason the keyless is working properly unlocking and locking. I am clueless at this point. I just went to radio shack and picked up a relay to wire in. Go figure!

Nothing else was done!

So now that I bolted everything back in place, its not opening the doors anymore. I am clueless now. Its just odd.

Here is my thought on this supject. When electrical items exibit inconsistant functions, like we are talking about here, I back track on anything that I have either disconnected from or added to the electircal system.

One of the first things I look for is what have I changed in the ground side of any components. A ground that is not making good contact can cause a lot of head aches and head scratching. First place to start.

Next place to go is the wiring diagram and start verifing that all of the wire connections are completely seated and have locked together. Honda has done a good job of keeping the wiring "Murphy Proofed", so this shouldn't be too much trouble unless there has been an inexperienced person doing stereo or other electrical component additions.

Was the keyless entry system installed by the dealer, do you have the instruction sheet for installation? The dealer can pull one up for you if you ask nice so you can verify the installation. I put one in my 95 Legend and it was quite simple.

I will keep thinking on this one, hence the head scratching............

Brad

Ok, so I unbolt the security box and the other boxes and let them dangle... It works fine. I tighten them up and then it unlocks, but doesn't lock. Are my connections working? Yes, they are soldered. Definitely not loose connections. I am adding a relay to a hard ground next time around as suggested. So lets try this course of action and then try again.

Back