• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

OEM stereo Aftermarket AMPS

Will the OEM head unit work with an aftermarket amp, speakers and sub? My stereo installer here said it would sound terrible. I dont want to give up the OEM look and I know that people have done it before.

Im not looking to build an awesome stereo setup just want to add some sound and bass.

Any comments? Will it really sound bad?

Will the OEM head unit work with an aftermarket amp, speakers and sub? My stereo installer here said it would sound terrible. I dont want to give up the OEM look and I know that people have done it before.

Im not looking to build an awesome stereo setup just want to add some sound and bass.

Any comments? Will it really sound bad?
I was in the same boat. I had the OEM Radio with aftermarket everything else. The sound was fine for me. Loud enough with bass. I did use the SOS wiring harness, the sub enclosure, and the door speaker mounts. It made the job much easier. I did end up changing out the head unit with a pioneer Avic though. After the third OEM going bad I had enough.

I suggest going to another installer, because what he said is completely inaccurate.

I have OEM head unit as I didn't want to touch my center console. I have JL Audio speakers in the doors using SOS plates. The subwoofer is one of the Zeetoolman set ups with the Earthquake sub. The amp is a MTX that was recommended here on NSX Prime. It works flawlessly and sounds MUCH better than the OEM set up. I was able to piece the system together for a few hundred dollars.

Good luck,
- Zishan

Last edited:
You had better luck than me... putting an alpine amp
with aftermarket speakers (vibe slicks) and the sound was
very low.
I ended up changing the head unit too and now the sound
is fine.

You had better luck than me... putting an alpine amp
with aftermarket speakers (vibe slicks) and the sound was
very low.
I ended up changing the head unit too and now the sound
is fine.

You probably just needed a line driver. I am strongly considering switching back to an OEM headunit, I just need to figure out how to:

a) add an ipod input that can also allow video in the nav pod

b) display radio info on the nav pod screen

I also thought of just using the OEM radio as a control for an A/M head unit.

I love the OEM look.

You probably just needed a line driver. I am strongly considering switching back to an OEM headunit, I just need to figure out how to:

a) add an ipod input that can also allow video in the nav pod

b) display radio info on the nav pod screen

I also thought of just using the OEM radio as a control for an A/M head unit.

I love the OEM look.

Angus,

If you want to add an ipod w/ video, get the audiovox FMM100a (i think thats the model number). This is a WIRED FM modulator. I have used on countless mobile video installs. It is static free and only like 50 bucks or so. You will need that ipod cable that splits to red, white, and yellow RCAs. The red and white will go to the modulator and the yellow cable will go to the OEM nav pod screen.

Jay

I plan to do the exact same thing, and will be using this unit.
http://www.reqsound.com/

It takes the factory signal, and rebalances it to more of an aftemarket sound....it outputs RCAs for fronts, rears, subs, etc.

It also has an aux input jack, which is perfect for ipod sound input. There is a little volume control for the jack input, since the signal enters the system "After" your head unit....the volume control is a little knob connected via wire like a phone cable. I had this in my sons charger for a while prior to him going aftermarket head unit....sounded excellent.

So , I plan to use in the NSX. I did have a question though? When you look at the wiring schematic for the NSX Bose system, it indicates there is a lead out for Driver and passenger door speakers, but also a Driver and Passenger side footwell speaker (is this the leads for the sub?)

Meaning,... is the Driver and Pass side "output speaker lead from the Bose head unit" a High pass frequency range?....and the Footwell speaker leads from the HU a Low Frequency lead?....or are they both full range? this is important to know, because from what I can see, the SOS harness only taps into the Door speaker output leads....and unless they are full frequency range, with bass included, those leads will only be high pass.....is there anyone who knows for sure the frequencies that are coming out of these four leads?

Back